The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Mar 6, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #3,271 of 3,663
When someone compares audio synergy to PB&J ... things are getting serious!
At least they are not comparing audio synergy to COFFEE and CHOCOLATE. That would put me at Def Con 5. :o2smile:

Mar 6, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #3,272 of 3,663
Mar 6, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #3,273 of 3,663
Mar 8, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #3,274 of 3,663
Looking at ideas for an amp I could use at work with the atrium closed. I am going to pick up a Sony DAP WM1AM2. But I doubt it will be strong enough. So just want to add a bit of juice for the office. Probably solid state preferred.

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #3,276 of 3,663
Looking at ideas for an amp I could use at work with the atrium closed. I am going to pick up a Sony DAP WM1AM2. But I doubt it will be strong enough. So just want to add a bit of juice for the office. Probably solid state preferred.
Still waiting for my AC to come in, but on my AO I think the HiBy RS6 is a nice choice if you still want to keep it portable. Medium gain there is plenty of volume and body to the music.

You may have to bump it up to high gain on tracks with a high dynamic range or with DSD files.

Both are about the same price, and the RS6 gets you some R2R goodness.

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #3,277 of 3,663
FWIW, I use my WM1A (older Sony OS, not the AM2 with Android) with 300 Ohm ZMFs (including my AC) at my desk and elsewhere in the house with no issues.

Granted, I’m running Mr Walkman’s excellent firmware mod with added gain, but at 80-85 of the 120 volume steps it’s both loud enough and sounds lovely. Even through the single-ended (3.5 mm) output. With the 4.4 mm balanced output there is ofc need more headroom.

I’m all for proper amping, but at least the OG WM1A does not really need an external amp to get good results.

I’d recommend getting the Sony first (and considering a WM1A- lightly used ones pop up regularly) and trying it before spending more…

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #3,278 of 3,663
Easy recommendations: either the single-ended Violectric V202; or the balanced Violectric V222 (depending on your AC cabling). Both are recommended by many here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/violectric-v222-and-v202.963504/

If you have the budget, you can go to the top of the Violectric (OG) line with the V281 reissue. I ordered one & already own an original V281 ... that's what I think of the V281 (which BTW worked spendidly with my Atrium Open during the time I owned and reviewed it).

https://power-holdings-inc.com/Violectric-HPA-V281-Reissue-Headphone-Amp-p585718067

(yes, I'm a Violectric fan boy)

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #3,279 of 3,663
Mar 8, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #3,280 of 3,663
(yes, I'm a Violectric fan boy)
Rightfully so lol, also highly recommend the V222, drove everything I threw at it, both planars and dynamics. Loved it so much I am also getting the new limited edition V281.

Mar 8, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #3,281 of 3,663
I am also getting the new limited edition V281.
Great choice- I loved my V200s (bought and sold two different units, regretting the sale both times).

Had the V281 reissue existed when I bought my RSA Apache, I may very well have gone the Vioelectric route again.

The V200 was not as quiet and airy/spacious in its sound stage as The Apache (which approaches the airiness of good tubes), which is why I upgraded. But I suspect the V281 would have gotten me where I wanted to go too.

Mar 11, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #3,283 of 3,663
I cannot make the Austrian audio composer distort or the Empyrean 2 numb to distort either on Wells Audio V8 OTL.

I used EDM as that will throw the amp into chaos with all the low frequencies. My tracks would easily kill a regular OTL. THE Feliks couldn't even go close. I'm at 22 ohm load with the composer. The Feliks would fart notes at that ohm level.

I don't know what the mad scientist behind this technology did!!!

Sounds beeping amazing!!!!🇺🇲

Below are other tube amps so I know from experience.

Amp is small compared to the Dragon and fits so nicely.

ZMF VO and AO wow!

Awesome job Jeff and Team!

Jeff's crew knows how to combine solid state and tube better than the rest.

The Envy I could hear lack of sag from a solid state rectifier messes up.

Jeff's team does it so I never think about it.

Then my LAMPIZATOR Big Seven/Golden Gate moded DAC adds sag of my we422 rectifier.
So if you like sag you can add it by other means if not you'll love this one.

Attachments

• PXL_20240311_161729660.jpg
    PXL_20240311_161729660.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #3,284 of 3,663
I cannot make the Austrian audio composer distort or the Empyrean 2 numb to distort either. I used EDM as that will throw the amp into chaos with all the base low frequencies the tubes will just go crazy and distort.

I don't know what the mad scientist behind this technology does!!!

Yeah, I had a quick listen on the Composer at the Mimic Audio table at CanJam and was impressed. Coming from the long history/heritage of AKG I'd figure it would be a solid, well-engineered HP.

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #3,285 of 3,663
I cannot make the Austrian audio composer distort or the Empyrean 2 numb to distort either on Wells Audio V8 OTL.

I used EDM as that will throw the amp into chaos with all the low frequencies. My tracks would easily kill a regular OTL. THE Feliks couldn't even go close. I'm at 22 ohm load with the composer. The Feliks would fart notes at that ohm level.

I don't know what the mad scientist behind this technology did!!!

Below are other tube amps so I know from experience.

Amp is small compared to the Dragon and fits so nicely.

ZMF VO and AO wow!

Awesome job Jeff and Team!

Jeff's crew knows how to combine solid state and tube better than the rest.

The Envy I could hear lack of sag from a solid state rectifier messes up.

Jeff's team does it so I never think about it.

Then my LAMPIZATOR Big Seven/Golden Gate moded DAC adds sag of my we422 rectifier.
So if you like sag you can add it by other means if not you'll love this one.
Great seeing a V8 in the wild! I have one coming in this week, really excited. Would love to hear more impressions of it specifically with ZMFs as i'm most familiar with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back