The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Mar 11, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #3,286 of 3,655
Is the JDS Element II powerful enough to power things like the Atrium and Caldera? It's my only amp currently and I do love how it looks on my desk, but I know it's not the most high-powered amp around.

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #3,287 of 3,655
Is the JDS Element II powerful enough to power things like the Atrium and Caldera? It's my only amp currently and I do love how it looks on my desk, but I know it's not the most high-powered amp around.
I don’t think power will be an issue. You’ll get plenty of volume. Synergy is another matter though. Only you can decide whether it sounds “good enough” to you. I used to rock a JDS EL Amp II with my first Verite Closed. At that point it was the best thing I’d ever heard. I’ve definitely heard better since then, but it’s all relative to your previous experiences.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #3,288 of 3,655
I don’t think power will be an issue. You’ll get plenty of volume. Synergy is another matter though. Only you can decide whether it sounds “good enough” to you. I used to rock a JDS EL Amp II with my first Verite Closed. At that point it was the best think I’d ever heard. I’ve definitely heard better at this point, but it’s all relative to your previous experiences.
Good to know. I plan to start with figuring out the headphones I want to keep moving forward and then look at improving the rest of my stack. Just wanted to make sure the EL II wasn't a non-starter for technical reasons, rather than taste.

Mar 12, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #3,290 of 3,655
It’s a cliche by now but tubes with ZMF high impedance dynamic headphones are a magical pairing. As much as I think having a tube amp is a pain, it absolutely brings something I can’t get with solid state.
I know tubes sound great because there’s no way people would go to such trouble if they didn’t.

Though you do need to be careful extending that logic to other areas.

Mar 12, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #3,291 of 3,655
I’m looking for a new dac and amp to pair with some atriums and VC. Would the Mjolnir 3 or v281 be a good pairing with something like a bifrost2 dac for these? Or does anyone have recommendations for a solid state amp and dac in the $2-$3k range?

Mar 12, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #3,292 of 3,655
I’m looking for a new dac and amp to pair with some atriums and VC. Would the Mjolnir 3 or v281 be a good pairing with something like a bifrost2 dac for these? Or does anyone have recommendations for a solid state amp and dac in the $2-$3k range?
The V281 pairs well with every headphone I have or had here. Not just "pairs" -- takes it someplace special.

I have a bunch of amps here (had/sold others). None are better than the V281, though a few equal it in certain ways.

I haven't heard them myself, but I'm reading a lot of praise for Violectric's new V202 (single-ended) and V222 (balanced), both said to be close to the V281 in sound.

PS: Forgot to mention that I'm listening to the Caldera on the V281 right now. Wonderful sound.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #3,293 of 3,655
The V281 pairs well with every headphone I have or had here. Not just "pairs" -- takes it someplace special.

I have a bunch of amps here (had/sold others). None are better than the V281, though a few equal it in certain ways.

I haven't heard them myself, but I'm reading a lot of praise for Violectric's new V202 (single-ended) and V222 (balanced), both said to be close to the V281 in sound.

PS: Forgot to mention that I'm listening to the Caldera on the V281 right now. Wonderful sound.
Thanks for that! I’m really tempted to grab one of the new limited edition v281’s. What DAC are you pairing with it or what works well with the v281 for ZMF’s?

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #3,294 of 3,655
Thanks for that! I’m really tempted to grab one of the new limited edition v281’s. What DAC are you pairing with it or what works well with the v281 for ZMF’s?
I strongly recommend the V281 reissue to anyone interested in this amp. It's a priceless opportunity to get a new example of one of the most "Goldilocks" audio components I've ever encountered.

DACs are a tricky topic because they influence everything downstream in subtle ways. That means you really need to know your own sonic preferences to avoid unwelcome surprises. It also means a DAC that lights me up may not please you at all.

I had delta-sigma DACs for years and never liked that sound. In fact, didn't think much of digital sound at all. Then I ran into my first NOS (non-oversampling) multi-bit DAC. It changed everything for me. I now have 3 NOS DACs, one in each of my systems in home office (main system has speakers, sub, headphones; side system is headphones only). The MHDT Labs Orchid, with the best tube I could find for the buffer circuit, is in the main system; and the Metrum Onyx is in the side system. The Audio GD R2R-11 MK2 is my backup; have had it in both systems at one time or another. I can recommend any of them.
  • I've also had (and heard) several multi-bit DACs. Also a very worthy design IMO.
The highest-level of my 3 DACs, in terms of exacting design, up-to-date input variations (including I2S), and cleverly balanced NOS sound, is the Onyx. Can't go wrong with that one.

Almost forgot to say: I've heard all 3 DACs extensively on the V281, which seems get along with every other component I throw at it. Great sound from all these combinations (that's the V281's nature--authoritative & beautiful sound, but also ultra-accomodating).

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #3,295 of 3,655
I had my V222 paired with my Schiit Yggdrasil and it was a fantastic pairing, I plan to pair it with my incoming V281. You probably don't have to go all the way up to a Yggy but can confirm the multibit dacs do pair well with the Vio's.

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #3,296 of 3,655
I had my V222 paired with my Schiit Yggdrasil and it was a fantastic pairing, I plan to pair it with my incoming V281. You probably don't have to go all the way up to a Yggy but can confirm the multibit dacs do pair well with the Vio's.
I had the BF2/64 and V280 at one point. Sounded fantastic with the VC! The pairing did not work very well with the AC… a little too dense=congested. The VC however… I don’t think I’ve ever heard it slam so hard and have so much dynamic energy.

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #3,297 of 3,655
I strongly recommend the V281 reissue to anyone interested in this amp. It's a priceless opportunity to get a new example of one of the most "Goldilocks" audio components I've ever encountered.

DACs are a tricky topic because they influence everything downstream in subtle ways. That means you really need to know your own sonic preferences to avoid unwelcome surprises. It also means a DAC that lights me up may not please you at all.

I had delta-sigma DACs for years and never liked that sound. In fact, didn't think much of digital sound at all. Then I ran into my first NOS (non-oversampling) multi-bit DAC. It changed everything for me. I now have 3 NOS DACs, one in each of my systems in home office (main system has speakers, sub, headphones; side system is headphones only). The MHDT Labs Orchid, with the best tube I could find for the buffer circuit, is in the main system; and the Metrum Onyx is in the side system. The Audio GD R2R-11 MK2 is my backup; have had it in both systems at one time or another. I can recommend any of them.
  • I've also had (and heard) several multi-bit DACs. Also a very worthy design IMO.
The highest-level of my 3 DACs, in terms of exacting design, up-to-date input variations (including I2S), and cleverly balanced NOS sound, is the Onyx. Can't go wrong with that one.

Almost forgot to say: I've heard all 3 DACs extensively on the V281, which seems get along with every other component I throw at it. Great sound from all these combinations (that's the V281's nature--authoritative & beautiful sound, but also ultra-accomodating).
I’ll throw the Audial S5 in the NOS ring. Bit of an obscure Dac and pretty hard to audition. Pairs very well with my Otl/Otc/Sansui and the Atrium open.

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #3,298 of 3,655
I’ll throw the Audial S5 in the NOS ring. Bit of an obscure Dac and pretty hard to audition. Pairs very well with my Otl/Otc/Sansui and the Atrium open.
I hear great things about this DAC. It shares a chip (Phillips TDA1541) with my MHDT Labs Orchid, the sound of which I couldn't do without.

We know design makes good sound fully as much as chips do. Still, there's clearly something special about this chip

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #3,299 of 3,655
Mar 14, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #3,300 of 3,655
I am sure it has been said before but I really enjoy my Wa23 with my ZMF headphones (and non zmf). It is a nice warm and lush tube amp that really makes some of them sound smooth and good.

I just got a (Fr)Homage at Canjam and it is a nice amp when I tried it. Haven't used it at home due to it being in my luggage and American Airlines losing my luggage. Luckily did end up getting it back last night. I tried Bokeh Closed on it at Canjam and really enjoyed that HP on it. Fromage has a nice richness to it that some SS lack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back