The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Feb 29, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #3,241 of 3,728
I'm actually rocking Feliks echo first version which I got for 500 in a sale. With some tube rolling, it's an amazing experience with caldera..
Tungsram E88CC is holographic and beautiful top end and deep low end.
Amperex Bugle boy it's warm and very enjoyable voices, with a great sub bass too.
And Mullard cv2492 are most closest experience to a SS amp.
I swap between rock, hip hop, classical, jazz and more. Id like to be switching tubes all the time. But I will settle at some point.

If anybody wants more info here it's my little review of these: link

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #3,242 of 3,728
I'm actually rocking Feliks echo first version which I got for 500 in a sale. With some tube rolling, it's an amazing experience with caldera..
Amperex Bugle boy it's warm and very enjoyable voices, with a great sub bass too.
I swap between rock, hip hop, classical, jazz and more. Id like to be switching tubes all the time. But I will settle at some point.

It definitely seems like a fantastic amp. Been eyeing it for a while. I decided to get an Eufonika H5KPCU OTL and I'm having Wieslaw build me one. Seems to pair very well with ZMF's. Hard to beat for the money. Later down the road I'll probably get an OTC that works with a wider range of headphones.

Feb 29, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #3,243 of 3,728
Tubes are expensive. My Aegis needs KT88 GEC tubes (1000 gbp for a pair - eye watering price).
I disagree!
Your Aegis supports KT88 GEC tubes, but definitely don't "need" KT88 tubes!
(for reference, does your body need caviar every day? :laughing:)

Feb 29, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #3,244 of 3,728
It's been pretty unmotivating and disheartening to see the insane price increases of OTL amps and audio in general in the recent years. Makes me and I'm sure a lot of other people bail out of getting into tubes at all. Feliks "entry model" is over a grand now... it's a good amp and all.

Totally get where you're coming from. I've noticed a bunch of folks stepping out of the hobby lately, and a big chunk of it boils down to the skyrocketing prices. On a different note, if you're in the market for a reasonably priced OTL tube amp, keep an eye out for the upcoming Schiit Valhalla 3.

Feb 29, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #3,246 of 3,728
Totally get where you're coming from. I've noticed a bunch of folks stepping out of the hobby lately, and a big chunk of it boils down to the skyrocketing prices. On a different note, if you're in the market for a reasonably priced OTL tube amp, keep an eye out for the upcoming Schiit Valhalla 3.
Agreed on rising tube prices- I feel like it accelerated during the pandemic, though I can’t say I have data to back that up.

And I’m sure a third iteration of Valhalla will be good! (I’ve been eyeing the Mjolnir 3, it’s tempting…)

Mar 1, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #3,247 of 3,728
.... in the meantime, there is:
FD8F7C04-4D81-42C6-99F8-568E06F14CA8.jpeg
Xduoo TA-26S (Output Transformer-Less)

Mar 1, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #3,248 of 3,728
.... in the meantime, there is: FD8F7C04-4D81-42C6-99F8-568E06F14CA8.jpegXduoo TA-26S (Output Transformer-Less)
Curious as to whether you might have you tried this model at all?

I recently got it with some upgraded tubes and I like it a lot with my ZMFs - though the only other reference I have is the A20 (as a high-Z output), so haven't tried any other OTL options.

Mar 1, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #3,249 of 3,728
Mar 1, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #3,250 of 3,728
Or, pick up a closeout Valhalla 2 now.

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #3,252 of 3,728

I also got the Feliks Echo MK1 for under 500€ new, which today seems like a bargain, and that is is crazy to be honest. Let's be real, the hardware/design/craftmanship in these amplifiers is nowhere close to justify the prices we see today, and the tube market is even more insane. I like tube amps, but a lot of it is aesthetics, and I prefer to spend my money elsewhere when we start talking thousands. But as long as the prices stay where they are, and new models are being introduced into the same price bracket, I guess enough people are buying them.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #3,253 of 3,728
I also got the Feliks Echo MK1 for under 500€ new, which today seems like a bargain, and that is is crazy to be honest. Let's be real, the hardware/design/craftmanship in these amplifiers is nowhere close to justify the prices we see today, and the tube market is even more insane. I like tube amps, but a lot of it is aesthetics, and I prefer to spend my money elsewhere when we start talking thousands. But as long as the prices stay where they are, and new models are being introduced into the same price bracket, I guess enough people are buying them.

In my opinion, it's more important to splurge on a killer pair of headphones, even if it means you're left with a tight budget for the amp. I snagged my Woo WA3 for $500, and let me tell you, this amp can give those overpriced kilobucks tube amps a run for their money with my Atrium. I've learned my lesson from burning through cash on $2000/$3000 tube amps in the past. Now, I'm happily steering clear of that pricey route.

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #3,254 of 3,728
In my opinion, it's more important to splurge on a killer pair of headphones, even if it means you're left with a tight budget for the amp. I snagged my Woo WA3 for $500, and let me tell you, this amp can give those overpriced kilobucks tube amps a run for their money with my Atrium. I've learned my lesson from burning through cash on $2000/$3000 tube amps in the past. Now, I'm happily steering clear of that pricey route.
The WA3 is a killer amp regardless of price. I adore mine, especially with 300ohm headphones. The Bokeh at 80ohm is a bit too loose, but that's to be expected giving the ultra low dampening factor at play. I will say though sometimes the money is worth it on kilobuck amps. I have a Stratus that cost a fortune, but when I did some side by side comparisons, it showed it's worth. Not saying the WA3 sounded bad, not at all. But man the Stratus is something special. I have other expensive amps like an Ampsandsound Kenzie that's over $2K and I like the sonics on the WA3 more when only considering 300ohm headphones. But the Kenzie has a flexibility advantage being OTC vs OTL. It plays really nice with the Bokeh and other lower impedance cans that the WA3 doesn't. The Tuba is another of those hidden gem tube amps. I got mine used for around 500 i believe, and I like it more than the Kenzie. Goes to show price doesn't = happiness always. For me the Stratus definitely did thankfully.

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #3,255 of 3,728
I agree completely. If money is of no consideration and you already got the headphones you want, then I see no problem in continuing the journey into expensive amplifiers and whatnot. But as long as there's bigger fish to fry on the headphone side, I see no reason to go beyond the 500-1000€/$ mark on sources. But I probably need to emphasize that this is just my opinion and everyone is obviously allowed to do this hobby as they please :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back