The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Sep 21, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #2,296 of 3,548
Welp, order placed for an Icon Audio HP8 Mk II Signature! Many thanks to Warren from Audioarcan being very responsive and easy to work with.

Now then, shall we talk DAC pairings? 😁 I can move threads if need be since this is the amp thread. Looking at the Soekris DAC 2541 or Brooklyn Liberty DAC II. The MHDT Orchid looks nice but I can't figure out how to source it new. Gustard A26 also on the list. Similar price range as the amp: up to ~$1500 with some wiggle room.

My main digital source in this setup will be my desktop PC so no real need for Bluetooth or Roon support.
If you can find a used Schiit Gungnir Multibit, that would be a great choice as well within your budget.

Sep 22, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #2,297 of 3,548
Two listings? I see what happened:
  • I searched "MHDT Labs Orchid" on USAudiomart and only came up with the one listing.
  • But @cats4cans listed under "MHDT Orchid."
Same price for each Orchid. Unusual to see two of these excellent NOS DACs F.S. at the same time.
I fixed the ad title just for you. I’m new to selling stuff and it’s difficult without any history or feedback rating. I’ve had it cross listed here on Head-fi for a while too. I keep telling myself that buying a bunch of things is not the way to quickly get positive feedback.

Sep 22, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #2,298 of 3,548
I never actually compared them to each other directly. Space limitations, and my Qutest is definitely staying so I didn't make room. I like the extra detail it seems to have over R2R implementations. Either of them made a nice alternative though. I have the Orchid for sale, but I keep unpacking it and hooking it back up from time to time. The big bonus feature on the Soekris is remote capable volume control. The headphone out and crossfeed might do in a pinch, but even running to my speaker system it sounded better with a preamp.
I guess I'm also curious why the Qutest is the "definitely staying" DAC for you. Size? Features? Sound?

Sep 22, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #2,299 of 3,548
I guess I'm also curious why the Qutest is the "definitely staying" DAC for you. Size? Features? Sound?
@cats4cans - similarly, as someone contemplating a new DAC for my system with ZMFs, how would you describe the differences in sound between the three DACs you have: Chord Qutest | Soekris dac1421 | MHDT Orchid (for sale) ? Thanks.

Sep 22, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #2,300 of 3,548

@cats4cans - similarly, as someone contemplating a new DAC for my system with ZMFs, how would you describe the differences in sound between the three DACs you have: Chord Qutest | Soekris dac1421 | MHDT Orchid (for sale) ? Thanks.

I'm awful at this sort of comparison, but I'll try. It's mostly splitting hairs though. All three are excellent depending on your taste.

I'm sure some of the preference is because I bought the Qutest first, before I had any headphones. So a lot of my impressions were on my speaker setup with a tube amp. Differences were most notable with the impractical (but level matched) quick change from the same source. I was using a Node2i at the time so one would be coax and the other toslink, but I forget which was which or if I switched that as well. I feel the Qutest gets a little more detail. I noticed it most on some hi-hat and cymbals, in both the attack and decay. At the same time, direct comparisons to the Orchid did make me notice a slight glare on the very top end of the Qutest sometimes, one that I hadn't ever heard before. Switching from the incisive to the warm filter took care of that completely though. The Orchid chip was originally meant for just redbook 16/44 so there were one or two hi-res tracks it didn't quite mesh with. I'm not sure how they handled that internally. I've thought about keeping it just for CDs because I really like the tube output, but I'm also trying to be practical. It's just easier to leave non-tube DACs on all the time. To me the Soekris is similar, but with more features (that I mostly don't use).

I don't need multiple DACs, but there's that thought we always have that this one will pair better with that amp or those headphones or with that genre of music. I think the Qutest has the cleanest, purest sound, but I'd need a lot of time switching back and forth to prove it to myself all over again. I still read about DACs and think about some big $$$ ones that intrigue me, but I'm behind on my amp and headphone purchases.

Sep 23, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #2,301 of 3,548
Hello fellow humans.

I have the opportunity to own both the infamous Icon Audio HP8 Mk.II Signature as well as the Cayin HA-3A tube amplifiers. These units are ZMF lovers favourites. I personally had a lot of questions about how they compare when deciding to get into tubes, and I noticed throughout a good number of threads, quite a few others had questions as well. I couldn't find anywhere else on the interweb where the HP8 was compared in depth, and there are only one or two english reviews. Well, now I own both, and have the opportunity to give a brief overview of the differences. Both units are using their default tubes (no tube rolling yet).

Screenshot 2023-09-23 174048.png

Tested on:
  • ZMF Caldera, using default ZMF caldera medium lambskin pads.
  • ZMF Atrium Open, using ZMF auteur hybrid pads.
  • Focal Clear using ZMF Suede Sub pads.
The HP8 only offers 6.35mm single-ended and a Youkamoo adapter which appeared to have no impact on sound signal or quality. The Cayin was heard through balanced XLR and 4.4mm.

The Cayin HA-3A​

Screenshot 2023-09-23 173800.png

My Cayin was was made in 2022 and is the “B” version that uses a different set of default tubes (EH 6v6, JJ 12au7, RCA 25AX4GT). It's noise floor is predominantly black on low impedance setting. Was not expecting that as the Cayin HA-XA series is known for issues with impedance matching and noise. I can hear a bit of noise on medium and a bit more on high, but the ambient noise of traffic outside is more noticeable than the noise coming through the connection. Also tested my 12.6ohm Unique Melody MEST Mk.II’s in the 4.4mm/low imp. And again heard minor hum (if I really listened for it) on low. The noise floor rose to audible levels on medium and high.

Sonic characteristics (+vs the HP8 Mk.II):
  • First thing that comes to mind is “layered air”
  • Surprisingly girthy sound. Especially up top.
  • Much slower decay than the HP8, but somehow doesn’t translate to sounding slower.
  • More of an edge on it than the HP8; HP8 sounds bolder, but the notes have softer edges.
  • Ever so slightly bigger soundstage vs the HP8 (like 10~15%, maybe)
  • Character of the HA-3A is fast, and lively. Seems in contradiction to some people’s description as “delicate” or “nuanced”. I don’t know that I’d use either of those words to describe what I’m hearing.
  • Bass feels airier than the HP8, and more present, but less controlled. It’s funner, but more fatiguing.
  • Midrange sounds less well imaged than the HP8. HA-3 can get congested.
  • Less concerned with articulation, instead aiming for a specific rich-of-neutral tube timbre
  • Again, intensely layered sound. Can almost touch the layers of air; well defined soundstage
  • Switching to the Atrium open, the headphone now sounds slowed down. A romantic headphone now sounds moreso
  • What the HA-3 wants to do is translated perfectly to the Atrium O. The experience is rich, dynamic, and even more lush.
  • The upper range has more presence, locality and sparkle. The HP8 does this also, but the Cayin has even more. The biggest surprise thus far.
    • SIGNIFICANT texture boost.
  • The Focal Clear didn't really like this amp IMO. Not that it did badly, but the amp somewhat muddied the presentation, at least with the factory set of tubes. I don't think anyone who bought and likes the Focal Clear is after this sound signature for what the Clear does with sound.
    • I can imagine this reversing with brighter tubes.

The HP8 Mk.II Signature edition​

DSC_1153_fixed.jpg

My HP8 was made March 29th, 2023. It's equipped with the default set of tubes (Electro Harmonix 12AX7, 2x David Shaw Signature CV181 (6SN7)'s). Listened with no music, I hear no noise on the floor whatsoever; it's pitch black. That being said, I have noticed the right tube is slightly noisier than the left. Every now and then, it starts "fuzzing" for a minute or two, but this goes away. It is probably picking up a signal from something (?).

Sonic characteristics (+vs the HA-3A):
  • Bold, yet soft. Very full bodied. I can’t imagine anyone wanting a SS vs this.
  • Somewhat wider portrayal of the FR versus the HA-3; The HP8 can be more delicate. Quiet segments are quieter, loud segments are louder & more forceful.
  • Soundstage is slightly smaller but more localized; less air, but traded for more holography. It wants you to enjoy the music, but it still wants to impress you.
  • More sparkle on the top end; highs have a crystalline nature, and whilst the HA-3 has a slower roll off, the power of those high notes stays with you a moment longer.
  • Articulate, yet smooth. The HP8 is in fact addictively smooth, generally great and extremely inoffensive.
  • Many people seem to prefer the medium impedance setting with the HP8. I found medium made the sound signature very forward and sometimes very unpleasant. For some of my test-tracks, the soundstage disappeared and I felt like I was trapped in an elevator with the band. Low impedance with a higher listening volume seemed to do a better job preserving the character of the music.
  • This however was not the case with the Atrium Open. WOW is the word. Medium did a much better job of powering the 300ohm dynamic, and the HP8's accurate, bold, and confident timbre did the AO WONDERS. For a headphone that doesn't change much via source, It was a clear upgrade for the Atrium.
  • The Atrium kept it's original warmer, and romantic timbre, but now benefited from a mild soundstage boost, and was a little sharper in the imaging. Again, the initial attack of the notes just wanted to stay with you a moment longer making the Atrium sound not only inviting and romantic, but bolder, stronger, and more muscular.
    • The top end also received a sparkle boost, but not as much as the HA-3.
  • Switching to the Focal Clear, it again sounded much better on the HP8. No contest. The timbre of the HP8 is just far more suited to the fast, punchy, resolving nature of the HP8. The HA-3 in comparison sounded like it wanted to Focal to do something that wasn't in it's wheelhouse.

After thinking about it for a while, I really was able to put into words the difference between the two tube amps, and I really do think it’s accurate: The HA-3 makes everything sound like a live performance. It makes you feel like you’re at the bar and listening to the band play on stage. The HP8 in comparison, sounds like you’re at a theatre. Not in terms of soundstage, but in terms of the character of It’s sounds which I’d peg as almost…”professional” in comparison.

The HP8’s body is smoother, and more articulate. But, the HA-3 has a forwardness to it’s texture you don’t get from the HP8, at least not with it’s default tubes.

This all being said, I absolutely understand why people would feel the HP8 is the better amp. It’s an excellent, somewhat more traditional sound that doesn’t make anything sound bad, and makes everything sound amazing. It has literally no downsides that I can hear. It's entirely possible to buy this amp, never modify it at all, and be happy for the rest of your ownership.

The HA-3 on the other hand took me to different places that I couldn't believe (this amp made me cry...). But, at the same time there were also 2 or 3 songs I came across in my collection that the amp didn’t do anything for whilst I thought this song blew my mind on the HP8. The HP8 was immediately amazing, where as my first reaction when turning the HA-3 on was “...Oh?...ok…” until I realized what it was trying to do. In comparison to the HP8, if you bought the HA-3 I would say it would be best to tube roll.

Ultimately, neither amp is the obvious best, I think both amps are actually surprisingly different, which was entirely unexpected.

All of this being said, I’m planning my NOS tube purchases as we speak… :wink: HA-3A goes first...going to see if I can get it a step closer to the HP8's signature without losing what the HA-3 does best.

Attachments

• IMG_20230920_200806.jpg
    IMG_20230920_200806.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-09-23 174825.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-23 174825.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230920_200344.jpg
    IMG_20230920_200344.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_1099_SMALL.jpg
    DSC_1099_SMALL.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #2,303 of 3,548
Welp, time to return my HP8 before it's even arrived and put in an order for the HA-3A 😂

In all seriousness, do let us know what combo of tubes smooth out the kinks in each amp
Lol! You won't be disappointed with the HP8. The only concern I had was it only offers SE when I made investments in moving all my cables over to balanced so adapters are necessary, and good 6SN7 NOS tubes are hilariously expensive.

Sep 23, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #2,304 of 3,548
Hello fellow humans.

I have the opportunity to own both the infamous Icon Audio HP8 Mk.II Signature as well as the Cayin HA-3A tube amplifiers. These units are ZMF lovers favourites. I personally had a lot of questions about how they compare when deciding to get into tubes, and I noticed throughout a good number of threads, quite a few others had questions as well. I couldn't find anywhere else on the interweb where the HP8 was compared in depth, and there are only one or two english reviews. Well, now I own both, and have the opportunity to give a brief overview of the differences. Both units are using their default tubes (no tube rolling yet).

Screenshot 2023-09-23 174048.png

Tested on:
  • ZMF Caldera, using default ZMF caldera medium lambskin pads.
  • ZMF Atrium Open, using ZMF auteur hybrid pads.
  • Focal Clear using ZMF Suede Sub pads.
The HP8 only offers 6.35mm single-ended and a Youkamoo adapter which appeared to have no impact on sound signal or quality. The Cayin was heard through balanced XLR and 4.4mm.

The Cayin HA-3A​

Screenshot 2023-09-23 173800.png
My Cayin was was made in 2022 and is the “B” version that uses a different set of default tubes (EH 6v6, JJ 12au7, RCA 25AX4GT). It's noise floor is predominantly black on low impedance setting. Was not expecting that as the Cayin HA-XA series is known for issues with impedance matching and noise. I can hear a bit of noise on medium and a bit more on high, but the ambient noise of traffic outside is more noticeable than the noise coming through the connection. Also tested my 12.6ohm Unique Melody MEST Mk.II’s in the 4.4mm/low imp. And again heard minor hum (if I really listened for it) on low. The noise floor rose to audible levels on medium and high.

Sonic characteristics (+vs the HP8 Mk.II):
  • First thing that comes to mind is “layered air”
  • Surprisingly girthy sound. Especially up top.
  • Much slower decay than the HP8, but somehow doesn’t translate to sounding slower.
  • More of an edge on it than the HP8; HP8 sounds bolder, but the notes have softer edges.
  • Ever so slightly bigger soundstage vs the HP8 (like 10~15%, maybe)
  • Character of the HA-3A is fast, and lively. Seems in contradiction to some people’s description as “delicate” or “nuanced”. I don’t know that I’d use either of those words to describe what I’m hearing.
  • Bass feels airier than the HP8, and more present, but less controlled. It’s funner, but more fatiguing.
  • Midrange sounds less well imaged than the HP8. HA-3 can get congested.
  • Less concerned with articulation, instead aiming for a specific rich-of-neutral tube timbre
  • Again, intensely layered sound. Can almost touch the layers of air; well defined soundstage
  • Switching to the Atrium open, the headphone now sounds slowed down. A romantic headphone now sounds moreso
  • What the HA-3 wants to do is translated perfectly to the Atrium O. The experience is rich, dynamic, and even more lush.
  • The upper range has more presence, locality and sparkle. The HP8 does this also, but the Cayin has even more. The biggest surprise thus far.
    • SIGNIFICANT texture boost.
  • The Focal Clear didn't really like this amp IMO. Not that it did badly, but the amp somewhat muddied the presentation, at least with the factory set of tubes. I don't think anyone who bought and likes the Focal Clear is after this sound signature for what the Clear does with sound.
    • I can imagine this reversing with brighter tubes.

The HP8 Mk.II Signature edition​

DSC_1153_fixed.jpg
My HP8 was made March 29th, 2023. It's equipped with the default set of tubes (Electro Harmonix 12AX7, 2x David Shaw Signature CV181 (6SN7)'s). Listened with no music, I hear no noise on the floor whatsoever; it's pitch black. That being said, I have noticed the right tube is slightly noisier than the left. Every now and then, it starts "fuzzing" for a minute or two, but this goes away. It is probably picking up a signal from something (?).

Sonic characteristics (+vs the HA-3A):
  • Bold, yet soft. Very full bodied. I can’t imagine anyone wanting a SS vs this.
  • Somewhat wider portrayal of the FR versus the HA-3; The HP8 can be more delicate. Quiet segments are quieter, loud segments are louder & more forceful.
  • Soundstage is slightly smaller but more localized; less air, but traded for more holography. It wants you to enjoy the music, but it still wants to impress you.
  • More sparkle on the top end; highs have a crystalline nature, and whilst the HA-3 has a slower roll off, the power of those high notes stays with you a moment longer.
  • Articulate, yet smooth. The HP8 is in fact addictively smooth, generally great and extremely inoffensive.
  • Many people seem to prefer the medium impedance setting with the HP8. I found medium made the sound signature very forward and sometimes very unpleasant. For some of my test-tracks, the soundstage disappeared and I felt like I was trapped in an elevator with the band. Low impedance with a higher listening volume seemed to do a better job preserving the character of the music.
  • This however was not the case with the Atrium Open. WOW is the word. Medium did a much better job of powering the 300ohm dynamic, and the HP8's accurate, bold, and confident timbre did the AO WONDERS. For a headphone that doesn't change much via source, It was a clear upgrade for the Atrium.
  • The Atrium kept it's original warmer, and romantic timbre, but now benefited from a mild soundstage boost, and was a little sharper in the imaging. Again, the initial attack of the notes just wanted to stay with you a moment longer making the Atrium sound not only inviting and romantic, but bolder, stronger, and more muscular.
    • The top end also received a sparkle boost, but not as much as the HA-3.
  • Switching to the Focal Clear, it again sounded much better on the HP8. No contest. The timbre of the HP8 is just far more suited to the fast, punchy, resolving nature of the HP8. The HA-3 in comparison sounded like it wanted to Focal to do something that wasn't in it's wheelhouse.

After thinking about it for a while, I really was able to put into words the difference between the two tube amps, and I really do think it’s accurate: The HA-3 makes everything sound like a live performance. It makes you feel like you’re at the bar and listening to the band play on stage. The HP8 in comparison, sounds like you’re at a theatre. Not in terms of soundstage, but in terms of the character of It’s sounds which I’d peg as almost…”professional” in comparison.

The HP8’s body is smoother, and more articulate. But, the HA-3 has a forwardness to it’s texture you don’t get from the HP8, at least not with it’s default tubes.

This all being said, I absolutely understand why people would feel the HP8 is the better amp. It’s an excellent, somewhat more traditional sound that doesn’t make anything sound bad, and makes everything sound amazing. It has literally no downsides that I can hear. It's entirely possible to buy this amp, never modify it at all, and be happy for the rest of your ownership.

The HA-3 on the other hand took me to different places that I couldn't believe (this amp made me cry...). But, at the same time there were also 2 or 3 songs I came across in my collection that the amp didn’t do anything for whilst I thought this song blew my mind on the HP8. The HP8 was immediately amazing, where as my first reaction when turning the HA-3 on was “...Oh?...ok…” until I realized what it was trying to do. In comparison to the HP8, if you bought the HA-3 I would say it would be best to tube roll.

Ultimately, neither amp is the obvious best, I think both amps are actually surprisingly different, which was entirely unexpected.

All of this being said, I’m planning my NOS tube purchases as we speak… :wink: HA-3A goes first...going to see if I can get it a step closer to the HP8's signature without losing what the HA-3 does best.
Thanks for an exhaustive & excellent sonic comparison. This is a great example of a "public service post" (conveying info people talk about but until the post, have little of).

I'm the extremely happy owner of any HP-8,l and I found all this fascinating.

Sep 23, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #2,305 of 3,548
Thanks for an exhaustive & excellent sonic comparison. This is a great example of a "public service post" (conveying info people talk about but until the post, have little of).

I'm the extremely happy owner of any HP-8,l and I found all this fascinating.

You may not remember, but you were the individual that convinced me to buy the HP8. A unit went up for sale on head-fi classified's a town over from my location during our DM'ing and I scooped it up. Glad I got the opportunity to own this excellent product.

I'm very excited to start tube rolling, but I blew my wallet-load on these two machines...

Sep 23, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #2,306 of 3,548
You may not remember, but you were the individual that convinced me to buy the HP8. A unit went up for sale on head-fi classified's a town over from my location during our DM'ing and I scooped it up. Glad I got the opportunity to own this excellent product.

I'm very excited to start tube rolling, but I blew my wallet-load on these two machines...

I found that the HA-6A benefited greatly from new 12au7 preamp tubes. There are some inexpensive used vintage options out there, so you don't need to jump right to endgame tubes to make a significant improvement over the stock JJ (which aren't great, IMHO).

Sep 23, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #2,307 of 3,548
I found that the HA-6A benefited greatly from new 12au7 preamp tubes. There are some inexpensive used vintage options out there, so you don't need to jump right to endgame tubes to make a significant improvement over the stock JJ (which aren't great, IMHO).

Seems about right, yea. I found a tube store that does a good job making content about the tubes they sell (ValvesnMore) which is near me in Ontario Canada. Comparing their prices, they seem very reasonable. Reading through the HA-3A thread, Cayin seems to believe you'll get greater changes in sound replacing the 12AU7's than the 6v6's though. I'm going to try to pick up some Philips tallbottle miniwatts. They seem widely regarded as all-around excellent.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #2,308 of 3,548
Speaking of blowing your wallet-load on tubes...

IMG_3999.jpeg

Sep 23, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #2,310 of 3,548
Ohhh no, he’s done it! From Elrog to WE. Any initial impressions?
Too early for anything concrete, but the Elrogs are certainly more dynamic and resolving, with significantly more slam. The level of detail retrieval on the Elrogs are off the charts. You are laser focused on every instrument and you hear every micro detail and position of every instrument on the stage, every note a singular event with a slow decay into the vast ether.

The WE are more of a traditional 300B sound, and instead of being hyper focused on detail and dynamics, it creates a surprisingly convincing, cohesive orchestra where you are enveloped by the sound instead of hyper focused on every detail. Macro vs Micro

I can already tell I will prefer some input tubes on one over the other, this is similar to my experience on the Pendant with RFT's vs Tungsram EL84's

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back