The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Sep 21, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #2,281 of 3,675
Yup. It's a great amp.

I have a number of amps, and the HP8 (after some tube rolling) muscled its way into the top 3. It sounds quite amazing through the VO, and (shock & awe) may be my best amp for the Caldera (different from, but at least equal to, the V281 and Milo).

I never expected the HP8 to be this good, but it clearly is.
Every so often I come back to looking at the HP8 as it's usually talked about very favourably when it comes up. It doesn't hurt that it's a very nicely compact size and actually has a proper dealer in Canada.

I had kind of written off tubes for now - I tried out the feliks echo & elise but they didn't wow me enough to warrant all the extra considerations over just a do-it-all solid state. Chalk that up to inexperience, lousy ears, source, whatever. The HP8 is one of a couple that still makes me think 'hmmm...maybe another go..'

Sep 21, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #2,283 of 3,675
Sometimes it's more about the synergy than the price. I haven't heard the Piety yet, it is reported to be damn good...

Yep.

I also think more than other ZMF's, the VO takes a little more work to get that perfect synergy. When it does though, it really sings. Got a new crescent strap/BBB strap combo for my Ziricote and I'm falling in love with it all over again.

Sep 21, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #2,284 of 3,675
Yup. It's a great amp.

I have a number of amps, and the HP8 (after some tube rolling) muscled its way into the top 3. It sounds quite amazing through the VO, and (shock & awe) may be my best amp for the Caldera (different from, but at least equal to, the V281 and Milo).

I never expected the HP8 to be this good, but it clearly is.
"Whyyyy did you have to mention the Milo?" he asks, wild eyed, as he prices out a Milo + Gruve combo.

On a serious note, the HP8 Mk II Signature is looking to be a winner and I'll see about getting it from Audioarcan in Canada, since the US distributor (Music Direct) has it marked as backordered. I did see a listing for a used Ampsandsound Ovation rev2 that looks tasty... But I think it's time to focus and put in an order for something!

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #2,285 of 3,675
Every so often I come back to looking at the HP8 as it's usually talked about very favourably when it comes up. It doesn't hurt that it's a very nicely compact size and actually has a proper dealer in Canada.

I had kind of written off tubes for now - I tried out the feliks echo & elise but they didn't wow me enough to warrant all the extra considerations over just a do-it-all solid state. Chalk that up to inexperience, lousy ears, source, whatever. The HP8 is one of a couple that still makes me think 'hmmm...maybe another go..'
I have long experience with tube amps & preamps, most recently OTL & transformer-coupled headphone amps. Some here go upscale with the big, expensive, high tube-count headphone amps. I can't fit any of them in my cramped space, and don't really want to put big $$ into a tube amp that will only tempt me to lay out $1000s more rolling NOS tubes.

Then the HP8 came along. It is compact; the copper top plate is attractive & solid; and after a restrained bout of tube-rolling, I'm getting Goldilocks sound out of it. For the record, I bought mine used; the previous owner had paid a tech to upgrade the coupling capacitor to the same Mundorf one used in the Signature HP8; and the stock tubes were quite decent, though easily bettered by good NOS choices.

The biggest surprise of the HP8 has been the bass. Even with stock tubes it was way better than I expected from a compact TC-tube amp, then got even better w/the 2nd set of NOS power tubes (which didn't break the bank). Tube bass, no matter how excellent, isn't quite the same as SS bass (notes hit differently). Then again, this isn't the Hunger Games for amps. I like both tube and SS amps (a lot).

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #2,286 of 3,675
"Why did you have to mention the Milo?"
The Milo is a whole other thing. Because of its excessive gain, you really have to set up the system to accommodate it. I did that by pairing the Milo with a AIO NOS DAC (Audio GD R2R11 MK2) with a transparent volume pot that controls the 2 preamp outs when configured for that; and by having my Milo retrofitted with the -13 dB gain switches, which I leave switched on at all times.

That's a lot of work, but the Milo is so worth it. This is high-level SS sound: huge power + real finesse. It's clearly as good sounding as my best SS amp, the Violectric V281, but w/o the abundant gain adjustments, I/O flexibility, and preamp output capability of the V281.

In the long run, I don't use the Milo as a main amp, but as a very particular SS sound I like to visit from time to time.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #2,287 of 3,675
Welp, order placed for an Icon Audio HP8 Mk II Signature! Many thanks to Warren from Audioarcan being very responsive and easy to work with.

Now then, shall we talk DAC pairings? 😁 I can move threads if need be since this is the amp thread. Looking at the Soekris DAC 2541 or Brooklyn Liberty DAC II. The MHDT Orchid looks nice but I can't figure out how to source it new. Gustard A26 also on the list. Similar price range as the amp: up to ~$1500 with some wiggle room.

My main digital source in this setup will be my desktop PC so no real need for Bluetooth or Roon support.

Sep 21, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #2,288 of 3,675
On the DAC side, how do you like the Soekris vs the MHDT Orchid? With a little bit of hunting, I found a decent deal on a dac2541 which seems to have been reviewed favorably.
I never actually compared them to each other directly. Space limitations, and my Qutest is definitely staying so I didn't make room. I like the extra detail it seems to have over R2R implementations. Either of them made a nice alternative though. I have the Orchid for sale, but I keep unpacking it and hooking it back up from time to time. The big bonus feature on the Soekris is remote capable volume control. The headphone out and crossfeed might do in a pinch, but even running to my speaker system it sounded better with a preamp.

Sep 21, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #2,290 of 3,675
Welp, order placed for an Icon Audio HP8 Mk II Signature! Many thanks to Warren from Audioarcan being very responsive and easy to work with.

Now then, shall we talk DAC pairings? 😁 I can move threads if need be since this is the amp thread. Looking at the Soekris DAC 2541 or Brooklyn Liberty DAC II. The MHDT Orchid looks nice but I can't figure out how to source it new. Gustard A26 also on the list. Similar price range as the amp: up to ~$1500 with some wiggle room.

My main digital source in this setup will be my desktop PC so no real need for Bluetooth or Roon support.
I'm a big fan of the MHDT Labs Orchid. With the right NOS tube in the output buffer, that already solid NOS sound gets even better.

You can buy this DAC direct from MHDT Labs. Below is the URL + the email address I used for all dealings with Jiun, who runs the place (a very good company in my experience):

http://www.mhdtlab.com/

mhdtgang@yahoo.com

(there's also one F.S. on USAudioMart by a seller unknown to me)

Sep 21, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #2,294 of 3,675
Ha, I'm joking. But there are two listings and one of them is @cats4cans
Two listings? I see what happened:
  • I searched "MHDT Labs Orchid" on USAudiomart and only came up with the one listing.
  • But @cats4cans listed under "MHDT Orchid."
Same price for each Orchid. Unusual to see two of these excellent NOS DACs F.S. at the same time.

Sep 21, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #2,295 of 3,675
I justified my purchase of the GS-X Mini with the rationale I would never need another SS HPA. So far, so good.
Same here with the Ray Samuels Audio Apache. I think I might be right for once! 😂
Now, about those new speakers…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back