The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Sep 20, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #2,266 of 3,675
If you need room on your desk consider Modi Multibit2 + Val2/Piety stack. It has very good synergy with ZMF.
My size requirements aren't _that_ restricted and while a Schiit stack is definitely under consideration, without jumping straight to endgame amps, I do want to avoid a near-future case of upgrade-itis which is why I think the $1000-1500 range might be the sweet spot for me. 😂

Sep 20, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #2,268 of 3,675
Questyle CMA Twelve
I have reviewed two Questyle amps, including the Twelve, and I did not like either when paired with ZMFs.
YMMV and all that.......

Sep 20, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #2,269 of 3,675
The open box/final sale gods have smiled upon me and I can now add the Feliks Audio Euforia (OG, not 20th anni or evo editions), iFi Pro iCAN Signature, Questyle CMA Twelve, and lab12 HPA to my list of considerations

Was about to recommend you find a used Euforia OG but if you get an open box even better.. this amp is great with ZMF dynamic headphones (and very small footprint as a bonus)

Sep 20, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #2,271 of 3,675
I am on the hunt for a desktop amp to drive my VOs! Since I am (for the next 29 days as of this post) locked out of the Head Fi classifieds on account of being a new user, I'm unfortunately relegated to eBay/AVexchange/Audiogon for the used market or will have to buy an amp at retail. :sob: My budget is ~$1,500 (but can be stretched _slightly_ to $2k if absolutely necessary). I would also like to prioritize smaller footprint amps, but have the room for larger ones if needed. I mostly listen to electronic and hip hop, with some indie rock thrown in there. Since folks have been singing the praises of ZMF + tube amps, I've been looking at:
  • Feliks Audio Echo Mk II
  • Cayin HA-3A
  • Little Dot MKVIII SE
  • (the Decware CSP-3 would be here but I think the current wait list is >2000 orders long!)
On the solid state side, I've been looking at:
  • Ferrum Oor (without the Hypsos PSU)
  • Violectric V222 or V226
  • Cayin iHA-6 (maybe to pair with an iDAC-6?)
  • Flux FA-12 (or maybe FA-10 Pro?)
  • HeadAmp GS-X Mini
Thanks in advance for the help! And I know this isn't the thread for it, but if folks have DAC pairing recommendations for some of these amps, I wouldn't object!
I never miss an opportunity to recommend the Quicksilver Headphone Amp. It sounded great with every ZMF I ever owned. It’s squarely in your price range as well. Throw in a Bifrost 2, and you’re in business!

Sep 20, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #2,272 of 3,675
If you can handle the year's wait, how about a DNA Starlett? You could get a Piety, inc. at used prices, to tide you over. It's at the upper end of your budget but you'd have some time to save a few extra pennies for it.
Man, the Piety is so great. I've been listening to it with my VO for the last few weeks. Looks funny next to my big boy amps, but it hits well above it's weight class!

Sep 21, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #2,273 of 3,675
I am on the hunt for a desktop amp to drive my VOs! Since I am (for the next 29 days as of this post) locked out of the Head Fi classifieds on account of being a new user, I'm unfortunately relegated to eBay/AVexchange/Audiogon for the used market or will have to buy an amp at retail. :sob: My budget is ~$1,500 (but can be stretched _slightly_ to $2k if absolutely necessary). I would also like to prioritize smaller footprint amps, but have the room for larger ones if needed. I mostly listen to electronic and hip hop, with some indie rock thrown in there. Since folks have been singing the praises of ZMF + tube amps, I've been looking at:
  • Feliks Audio Echo Mk II
  • Cayin HA-3A
  • Little Dot MKVIII SE
  • (the Decware CSP-3 would be here but I think the current wait list is >2000 orders long!)
On the solid state side, I've been looking at:
  • Ferrum Oor (without the Hypsos PSU)
  • Violectric V222 or V226
  • Cayin iHA-6 (maybe to pair with an iDAC-6?)
  • Flux FA-12 (or maybe FA-10 Pro?)
  • HeadAmp GS-X Mini
Thanks in advance for the help! And I know this isn't the thread for it, but if folks have DAC pairing recommendations for some of these amps, I wouldn't object!
I justified my purchase of the GS-X Mini with the rationale I would never need another SS HPA. So far, so good. Most of the time I feed it with the R2R Soekris dac1421. For a non tubed option it covers all of MY needs for the foreseeable future.
You should probably add the Icon HP8 to your list of tube amps. It’s on my short list of high Z tube amps and based on some of the praise it gets around here should be on yours too.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #2,274 of 3,675
Man, the Piety is so great. I've been listening to it with my VO for the last few weeks. Looks funny next to my big boy amps, but it hits well above it's weight class!
Sometimes it's more about the synergy than the price. I haven't heard the Piety yet, it is reported to be damn good...

Sep 21, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #2,275 of 3,675
Sometimes it's more about the synergy than the price. I haven't heard the Piety yet, it is reported to be damn good...
I bought one out of curiosity and find it’s really great for the price, but not as good as more expensive SS amps like the iFi Micro iDSD.

@tuzonghua - I second the nomination of the Icon Audio HP8 Signature tube amp. It’s not as large as some tube amps and works great with ZMFs due to its 3-way impedance switch. Recently started tube rolling and am enjoying the differences that different tubes bring to the sound.

Sep 21, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #2,276 of 3,675
I justified my purchase of the GS-X Mini with the rationale I would never need another SS HPA. So far, so good. Most of the time I feed it with the R2R Soekris dac1421. For a non tubed option it covers all of MY needs for the foreseeable future.
You should probably add the Icon HP8 to your list of tube amps. It’s on my short list of high Z tube amps and based on some of the praise it gets around here should be on yours too.
Oh wow this is great! I was going to ask if there were other small form factor tube amps that I might be missing. Thanks to @JerseyD for the second.

On the DAC side, how do you like the Soekris vs the MHDT Orchid? With a little bit of hunting, I found a decent deal on a dac2541 which seems to have been reviewed favorably.

Sep 21, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #2,278 of 3,675
I guess on the topic of smaller tube amps that might also be suitable for my budget: the Woo Audio WA6-SE.
I wouldn’t call WA6-SE small … as a two-piece headphone amplifier. It is excellent. If that is what you acquire, Gen 1 or Gen 2, know that the rectifier tube has a large effect on WA6-SE’s sound. A good choice here is critical.

Sep 21, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #2,280 of 3,675
You should probably add the Icon HP8 to your list of tube amps.
Yup. It's a great amp.

I have a number of amps, and the HP8 (after some tube rolling) muscled its way into the top 3. It sounds quite amazing through the VO, and (shock & awe) may be my best amp for the Caldera (different from, but at least equal to, the V281 and Milo).

I never expected the HP8 to be this good, but it clearly is.

Users who are viewing this thread

• LXMc
Back