The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Sep 19, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #2,251 of 3,728
My Latin is very rusty (Catholic school was a long time ago). But the internet is a wonderful thing :wink:

Also, I do hope everyone realizes my comment was meant very much so tongue-in-cheek...
No worries. I'm not as smart as I think either. My question though is what does all these languages have to do with amps?
(I mean foreign languages can be electrifying, but that's a bit of a stretch...)

Sep 19, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #2,252 of 3,728
My Latin is very rusty (Catholic school was a long time ago). But the internet is a wonderful thing :wink:

Also, I do hope everyone realizes my comment was meant very much so tongue-in-cheek...
… facial cheek, right? 🤣🤣🤣

Sep 19, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #2,253 of 3,728

Of course 🤪

Sep 19, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #2,254 of 3,728
Sep 20, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #2,255 of 3,728
Looking at transportable or small desktop amp that will fit in my carry-on since I travel standby.

I heard the AO in Singapore last year and loved it on the high-end tube amp, not so much on the small transportable amps. I thought the Caldera might be better with SS Amp? looking at new cans and amp.

Listen to a lot of different music, World, Jazz, Classical, Bluegrass. I do like my bass.

Been enjoying the Custom Art Fibae 5, that signature is fine, wouldn't mind just a tad more detail.

budget about $1000, outside $1500

Used Cayin C9? Wells Milo would fit in carry on - will be tight tho.

Living in SE Asia, happen to be here in CA and will do Canjam.

Sep 20, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #2,257 of 3,728
Looking at transportable or small desktop amp that will fit in my carry-on since I travel standby.
Though I only heard it with the Verite and not the Atrium I'd still recommend the Diablo to anyone looking for a portable setup for their headphone. Probably the transportable setup I'd get if I do need one in future.

Sep 20, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #2,258 of 3,728
Though I only heard it with the Verite and not the Atrium I'd still recommend the Diablo to anyone looking for a portable setup for their headphone. Probably the transportable setup I'd get if I do need one in future.

I had it and sold it (simply because I didn't have the use for it anymore)

my take on the Diablo is that is it incredibly powerful (relative to form factor, and in absolute terms) and great for less sensitivit headphones (in fact, it's a bit too powerful for senstivie ones, the gain is a bit too high to start). built-in DAC is well implemented. To price point of about $900 new / $500 used it is great value to price for DAC/Amp mobile unit. For home use, I wouldn't use it as my go-to. It's a bit to "edgy" in sound (I think this due to the DAC section, but I can only guess). But for occasional travel it's great and can drive anything in a pinch

Sep 20, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #2,259 of 3,728
I haven't used it myself but I've been looking at the Mojo 2 which sounds like it would fit within your criteria.

Sep 20, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #2,260 of 3,728
Just to add another possibility, I recently got another similar device from Ifi that is the iDSD Signature (similar to the old Black label). It is slightly warmer than the Diablo and it has two interesting functionalities that work fine with the VO and may be also with the rest of ZMF dynamics:
  • “ieMatch” that, when set to “high”, shows an output impedance of 2 ohms. This is something good for dynamic drivers and better than normal output impedance < 1 ohm. The difference in sound when it is activated is notorious with much better timbre and soundstage
  • Configurable output gain. When set to “turbo” it offers an output voltage of 10v which is not bad for a portable device and is also good for the dynamic drivers
The combination of both functions, with the warmer Burrbrown DAC, give good results with the VO. I use it a lot in the garden/porch

Note. - I also had the Mojo2 sometime ago, but not at the same time than the ZMF VO. Very good device too

Sep 20, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #2,261 of 3,728
I haven't used it myself but I've been looking at the Mojo 2 which sounds like it would fit within your criteria.
I have Mojo 2 and highly recommend it. Use it as my DAC to Kenzie 2, its clarity and incisiveness with a tube amp is wonderful match. Sounds great alone with AO and my IEM’s. Versatility with EQ and its diminutive form factor adds to the value it delivers. Realize there’s quirks like Micro USB charging and the color ball menu has a slight learning curve but I love it. Interested in hearing Hugo 2 in the future but I know as soon as I purchase one, Hugo 3 will be announced. :) One last note, I believe it’s on sale currently.

Sep 20, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #2,262 of 3,728
I believe Zach likes the Mojo 2 as well.

Sep 20, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #2,263 of 3,728
I believe Zach likes the Mojo 2 as well.
Always a good endorsement. Mojo 2's been on my shortlist for potential dacs to feed that ZMF/JDS Amp when it comes out.

Sep 20, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #2,264 of 3,728
I am on the hunt for a desktop amp to drive my VOs! Since I am (for the next 29 days as of this post) locked out of the Head Fi classifieds on account of being a new user, I'm unfortunately relegated to eBay/AVexchange/Audiogon for the used market or will have to buy an amp at retail. :sob: My budget is ~$1,500 (but can be stretched _slightly_ to $2k if absolutely necessary). I would also like to prioritize smaller footprint amps, but have the room for larger ones if needed. I mostly listen to electronic and hip hop, with some indie rock thrown in there. Since folks have been singing the praises of ZMF + tube amps, I've been looking at:
  • Feliks Audio Echo Mk II
  • Cayin HA-3A
  • Little Dot MKVIII SE
  • (the Decware CSP-3 would be here but I think the current wait list is >2000 orders long!)
On the solid state side, I've been looking at:
  • Ferrum Oor (without the Hypsos PSU)
  • Violectric V222 or V226
  • Cayin iHA-6 (maybe to pair with an iDAC-6?)
  • Flux FA-12 (or maybe FA-10 Pro?)
  • HeadAmp GS-X Mini
Thanks in advance for the help! And I know this isn't the thread for it, but if folks have DAC pairing recommendations for some of these amps, I wouldn't object!

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #2,265 of 3,728
I am on the hunt for a desktop amp to drive my VOs! Since I am (for the next 29 days as of this post) locked out of the Head Fi classifieds on account of being a new user, I'm unfortunately relegated to eBay/AVexchange/Audiogon for the used market or will have to buy an amp at retail. :sob: My budget is ~$1,500 (but can be stretched _slightly_ to $2k if absolutely necessary). I would also like to prioritize smaller footprint amps, but have the room for larger ones if needed. I mostly listen to electronic and hip hop, with some indie rock thrown in there. Since folks have been singing the praises of ZMF + tube amps, I've been looking at:
  • Feliks Audio Echo Mk II
  • Cayin HA-3A
  • Little Dot MKVIII SE
  • (the Decware CSP-3 would be here but I think the current wait list is >2000 orders long!)
On the solid state side, I've been looking at:
  • Ferrum Oor (without the Hypsos PSU)
  • Violectric V222 or V226
  • Cayin iHA-6 (maybe to pair with an iDAC-6?)
  • Flux FA-12 (or maybe FA-10 Pro?)
  • HeadAmp GS-X Mini
Thanks in advance for the help! And I know this isn't the thread for it, but if folks have DAC pairing recommendations for some of these amps, I wouldn't object!
If you need room on your desk consider Modi Multibit2 + Val2/Piety stack. It has very good synergy with ZMF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back