The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Sep 14, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #2,192 of 3,663
(Cross-post from VC thread)

Currently pairing my VCs on a Questule CMA Twelve. Considering an upgrade to a better solid state amp. Resolution/clarity and increase in dynamics/punch/slam are my priorities.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Pretty much anything Violectric would nail it.

Sep 14, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #2,195 of 3,663
Sep 14, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #2,197 of 3,663
How do you like the bliss with ZMF headphones?
Haven’t paired them yet as my bliss is at work and my VCs at home. Will try it sometime and report back.

Sep 14, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #2,198 of 3,663

Currently pairing my VCs on a Questule CMA Twelve. Considering an upgrade to a better solid state amp. Resolution/clarity and increase in dynamics/punch/slam are my priorities.

While I haven't heard one yet, the new Schiit MJOLNIR 3 is getting great reviews. Also, I have the CMA400i and I believe they have identical DAC circuitry. The DAC on mine is definitely the weakest link. Other than that I would say that Questyle dac/amps are geared more toward lower impedance headphones. Mine doesn't power 300ohms very well. If you are going to upgrade, make sure you are prepared to loose the convenience of a dac/amp combo especially if you also use the preamp.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #2,199 of 3,663
Just picked up a GS-X MK2 today. I’m curious to see how they do with ZMFs. I’ll mostly be using it as a preamp for my Agartha 2021 but I’m sure I’ll be using it as a HPA on the Caldera & AC as well.

Sep 14, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #2,200 of 3,663
While I haven't heard one yet, the new Schiit MJOLNIR 3 is getting great reviews. Also, I have the CMA400i and I believe they have identical DAC circuitry. The DAC on mine is definitely the weakest link. Other than that I would say that Questyle dac/amps are geared more toward lower impedance headphones. Mine doesn't power 300ohms very well. If you are going to upgrade, make sure you are prepared to loose the convenience of a dac/amp combo especially if you also use the preamp.
A lot of the Violectric amps have versions with a a built in DAC, though maybe not the world’s greatest DACs.

Sep 14, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #2,201 of 3,663
Just picked up a GS-X MK2 today. I’m curious to see how they do with ZMFs. I’ll mostly be using it as a preamp for my Agartha 2021 but I’m sure I’ll be using it as a HPA on the Caldera & AC as well.
Congrats Shawn! Please share impressions when you can. I know the GS-X mkII is a direct parallel to the RSA Apache, so it’s always interesting to hear comparisons.

(Whether or not the Apache works well with other brands of headphones was very secondary to me; call me crazy, but I’m a ZMF fanboy for life. 😁)

Sep 14, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #2,202 of 3,663

I’ve seen a Questyle CMA800R pre-owned on USAM, it might still be there. (Noting it because it seemed a bargain at the price)

I love my Ray Samuels Audio Apache with ZMFs. While it is no longer in production, the HR-2 (non-balanced, non-preamp but otherwise similar in topology) is still being built by Ray, I believe.

I second the Violectric recommendation; I owned a V200 and loved it. I had to go up several notches (read: 3x+) in price to get the holographic imaging and air that the V200 was missing vs my tube amp.

Perhaps the ZMF/JDS collab amp is of interest to you? Otherwise the Nietsch higher-end amp that is a short-run special is a great option, but certainly a bit pricey. Depends on your budget of course…

Sep 14, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #2,203 of 3,663
I second the Violectric recommendation; I owned a V200 and loved it. I had to go up several notches (read: 3x+) in price to get the holographic imaging and air that the V200 was missing vs my tube amp.
@AudioDuck coukd you please clarify what you’re saying here? You felt that the v200 was lacking vis-a-vis tubes or something else?

Sep 15, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #2,204 of 3,663
@AudioDuck coukd you please clarify what you’re saying here? You felt that the v200 was lacking vis-a-vis tubes or something else?
Certainly- the V200 was missing air between instruments and performers compared to the Woo WA2- though please note that’s with REALLY good tubes, so it’s an unfair comparison. 😬

(Comparing costs, that’s a $1,000 SS amp vs. $1,500 tube amp with roughly $800+ in tube upgrades and a $200+ fuse upgrade… so definitely unfair!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back