The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Sep 2, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #2,161 of 3,728
Goal of list is to reflect members’ personal best-ever recommendation or aspiration amp for ZMF headphones. I’m just curating to reflecting the subjective collective opinions, so anyone who wants to learn more when coming into this thread don’t get lost in 100.. 200.. 1000.. pages and get get some quick ideas what to look into based on other folks’ top recommendations, subjectivities and all. Then they can find details of the discussion on any amp by searching for it in the thread.

Will add.
Thanks, now I understand the rationale. I’ll nominate the wonderful Icon Audio HP8 Signature. Sounds great with my ZMFs, and with its 3-way impedance switch, pairs well with a wide variety of headphones.

Sep 2, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #2,163 of 3,728
If someone has the time to compile a list of amps with links within this thread for reference I can add it to the first post of this thread. Unfortuntely I don't believe there is a way to make a post sticky on Head Fi

Sep 2, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #2,164 of 3,728
Thanks, now I understand the rationale. I’ll nominate the wonderful Icon Audio HP8 Signature. Sounds great with my ZMFs, and with its 3-way impedance switch, pairs well with a wide variety of headphones.

Hello,
what do you think about making a list for Gotl and Totl.
Gotl would be the ones that have already been mentioned and Totl would be the ones that still work well with Zmf.
Among them Feliks Euforia,Cayin Ha3A,Icon Audio hp8mk2 ect....
I’m open to anything but do want to keep this list easy to manage and also useful in answering this question to anyone reading this thread:

“If you could get any amp whatsoever to pair with you ZMF headphones - no budget, access, or time constraints of any kind - what would be your ultimate dream amp?”

So I have no plan to edit any answer to this question as this reflects EVERYONE’s opinion. I just need you to tell me that the amps you’re suggesting - for you - answer the question above (beyond your #1 choice amp for ZMF headphone/s, whether you own it or not, no budget limitation - your dream match up).

If so, I add it. That’s it :) so lmk now or anytime and if this answers it for you then this goes in.

Sep 2, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #2,165 of 3,728
If someone has the time to compile a list of amps with links within this thread for reference I can add it to the first post of this thread. Unfortuntely I don't believe there is a way to make a post sticky on Head Fi

I’ve seen folks who’ve started threads reserve the second post and keep it empty for future proofing. I failed to do this in my threads (including the AC thread and the recent one I started for the Decware/ZMF OTL amp) and it’s come back to bite me as well. I’m posting this so eveyone consider this for future threads..

One thing you can do that would be easy is edit your first post and add the header to this list and then link to my post on page #33. This way I can keep updating it there, and you don’t have to do anything it will keep referencing to it from the top of the thread(?)

Or you’re welcome to manage it 😉

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #2,166 of 3,728
I’ve seen folks who’ve started threads reserve the second post and keep it empty for future proofing. I failed to do this in my threads (including the AC thread and the recent one I started for the Decware/ZMF OTL amp) and it’s come back to bite me as well. I’m posting this so eveyone consider this for future threads..

One thing you can do that would be easy is edit your first post and add the header to this list and then link to my post on page #33. This way I can keep updating it there, and you don’t have to do anything it will keep referencing to it from the top of the thread(?)

Or you’re welcome to manage it 😉
Added a link to your list on the first post.

Sep 2, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #2,167 of 3,728
Sep 2, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #2,168 of 3,728
It's not worth adding to the list because it's an exotic amp designed primarily for the Raal Requisite ribbon headphones/earspeakers, but the Vérité open sounds exceptionally good from the HSA-1b.

I wouldn't recommend buying this amp for the VO. You can do better for much less of an outlay. But if you're a Raal fan who wants a solid state amp that can also work beautifully with the VO, this might be worth looking into. Alas, I've yet to try other ZMFs from it.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #2,169 of 3,728
Good idea, time to update the list, and also move it forward to page 144 so more recent viewers can benefit from it.

Added Beyerdynamic A20, updated the Ampandsound models to current Rev 2, and added the new Decware/ZMF OTL.

Original list updated:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...r-zmf-headphones.965309/page-33#post-17215696

And reposted here below to help recent folks final it faster:

Here is the summary of current results in this thread to this survey:

“If you could get any amp whatsoever to pair with you ZMF headphones - no budget, access, or time constraints of any kind - what would be your ultimate dream amp?”

Replies are listed alphabetically. In hope that this will be a fun (and useful?:)) list for any future reader of this thread. I may go back and update this post from time-to-time if more replies or ideas come up here that intend by their nature to answer the question. Keep your ideas coming.... Here goes:
  • Ampandsound Nautilus Rev 2
  • Ampandsound Red October Rev 2 (Elrog tubes)
  • Beyerdynamic A20
  • Cayin HA-300MK2
  • Decware // Reference ZMF OTL
  • DNA Stellaris Special
  • DNA Stratus
  • ECP Audio DSHA-3F
  • Eddie Current Studio Tribute
  • Eddie Current Studio B (300B version)
  • Eddie Current Zana Deux Super
  • Feliks Audio Envy
  • Glenn OTL
  • Linear Tube Audio MZ3
  • Woo Audio WA33 Elite Edition
Last edited: 9/2/2023
Thanks Eyal - great idea updating the list. My favorite amp with my ZMF dynamics is the 1101 Audio Blue Halo+. Even though it’s still pretty niche due to not many existing, @A2029 is actively building so more will be coming in the future.

I highly recommend the Blue Halo+ OTL due to insane tube rolling, individual build customization options, and amazing synergy in general with ZMFs. The standard Blue Halo is also fantastic and worth considering depending on how much flexibility you want. Compared to the “Plus”, it’s lower cost, simpler, with fewer tube rolling options, but sounds phenomenal with ZMFs. It was designed specifically to sound as good as possible for 300ohm headphones. The standard Blue Halo is ~8ohm output impedance whereas the Plus has a range all the way up to 80-120ohm output depending on type and number of power tubes used In parallel. You can also use Blue Halo mode on the Plus via a toggle switch, so you’re kind of getting 2 amps in 1. Rather than good/better/best, the Blue Halo is “Best” and Blue Halo+ is “Best - with more options”.

IMG_8819.jpeg

Sep 3, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #2,170 of 3,728
Thanks Eyal - great idea updating the list. My favorite amp with my ZMF dynamics is the 1101 Audio Blue Halo+. Even though it’s still pretty niche due to not many existing, @A2029 is actively building so more will be coming in the future.

I highly recommend the Blue Halo+ OTL due to insane tube rolling, individual build customization options, and amazing synergy in general with ZMFs. The standard Blue Halo is also fantastic and worth considering depending on how much flexibility you want. Compared to the “Plus”, it’s lower cost, simpler, with fewer tube rolling options, but sounds phenomenal with ZMFs. It was designed specifically to sound as good as possible for 300ohm headphones. The standard Blue Halo is ~8ohm output impedance whereas the Plus has a range all the way up to 80-120ohm output depending on type and number of power tubes used In parallel. You can also use Blue Halo mode on the Plus via a toggle switch, so you’re kind of getting 2 amps in 1. Rather than good/better/best, the Blue Halo is “Best” and Blue Halo+ is “Best - with more options”.

IMG_8819.jpeg

Thanks, will add!
(I've heard great things from others who have his builds. I will definitely have to try one of his amps one day...:wink:)

Sep 3, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #2,171 of 3,728
Thanks, will add!
(I've heard great things from others who have his builds. I will definitely have to try one of his amps one day...:wink:)
Another thought- is it wrong to omit Ray Samuels Audio?

I’m obviously biased towards including the Apache (solid-state), but from what I’ve read, the B-52 (tube) may be the more obvious addition.

Both are apparently very ZMF-compatible from a sound signature perspective; I can vouch for the Apache being a great match with ZMF dynamics!

Sep 3, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #2,172 of 3,728
Another thought- is it wrong to omit Ray Samuels Audio?

I’m obviously biased towards including the Apache (solid-state), but from what I’ve read, the B-52 (tube) may be the more obvious addition.

Both are apparently very ZMF-compatible from a sound signature perspective; I can vouch for the Apache being a great match with ZMF dynamics!

no rules for this list except this: whichever amp you'd want to add to the list is the one which, for you, is the reply to this question:

Sep 4, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #2,173 of 3,728
no rules for this list except this: whichever amp you'd want to add to the list is the one which, for you, is the reply to this question:

Cool, thanks for clarifying! 👍👍

Yes, I honestly think the Apache would top the solid-state list for me.

Sure, there are most expensive solid-state amp, but I don’t imagine most of them would vastly improve on Ray’s design, especially with the latest op-amp upgrades he installed. So the Apache makes the grade.

On the tube side of things, so to speak, my WA2 can clearly be bettered by far with more expensive designs (and tubes).

While I love mine and don’t see myself ever selling/upgrading, I could see going much farther up the ladder with unlimited resources.

Sep 4, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #2,174 of 3,728
Sure, there are most expensive solid-state amp, but I don’t imagine most of them would vastly improve on Ray’s design, especially with the latest op-amp upgrades he installed. So the Apache makes the grade.
Added

Sep 4, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #2,175 of 3,728

Users who are viewing this thread

Back