The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Sep 1, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #2,146 of 3,765
So, I finally threw my Cocobolo Atticus on the HA300mk2 for the first time yesterday and holy crap! This pairing is just as good or better than with my VC's. The HA300mk2 and Atticus synergy is freaking incredible! The engagement factor, euphonic mids, tight midbass slam, speed/immediacy and lovely huge vocals are all at 11! The staging is also very expansive and they don't even sound like closed backs. :astonished: I am so satisfied with this amp with my two ZMF's that I could seriously call it quits, but I am not stopping until I get the Caldera Closed to round off my collection. The HA300mk2 is so legit with ZMF's, I can't recommend it enough.

20221022_091921.jpg
Are you using stock tubes?

Sep 1, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #2,147 of 3,765
TLDR: (1) at <$2k it competes at the top-tier category, (2) soft and silky, relaxed presentation; it's like an upgraded LCD-4, or what the -5 would've been if the -4 was made less dark and better resolving. Over unique presentation, not competing as much as complementary to other planars
I love planars, and even though the last thing I need is another big-time headphone--your comments really have me thinking about this one.

I'll be eagerly awaiting your review on this one...

Sep 1, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #2,148 of 3,765
yea... not to take this thread too off topic, but here the thread for this upcoming release:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mod...headphones-impressions-and-discussion.968835/

I'm working on a review probably be done in 1-2 weeks.
It's ridiculously low sensitivity, but high impedance. Some things can't drive it, others drive it exceedingly well. It's more nuanced than pure wattage (best synergies from all my amps, in this order: Aegis, V281, GOTL)
TLDR: (1) at <$2k it competes at the top-tier category, (2) soft and silky, relaxed presentation; it's like an upgraded LCD-4, or what the -5 would've been if the -4 was made less dark and better resolving. Over unique presentation, not competing as much as complementary to other planars

Anecdote - Ryan, founder, follows in footsteps of Zach. From Modding headphones to launchig (now) his own. Fun fact: the pads on this are made by Zach. So nice to see the paying forward in our industry.

Finally, quick pic from set I have at home now testing in my chain. A demo unit should be at CanJam SoCal at Mimic.

2023-08-28 19.26.39.jpg

ok, let's go back to amps for ZMF... anyone more want info on the above, go to the Tungsten thread :)
Beautiful headphone, stand, and table. What wood is the table?

Sep 1, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #2,149 of 3,765
I'll be eagerly awaiting your review on this one...
👍😉
Beautiful headphone, stand, and table. What wood is the table?
It’s called Weru wood but it’s a collection misc hardwoods meshed together. I admit I can’t recall which anymore. We went to this place in Brooklyn years ago where you select from hundreds of slabs in a warehouse and get a table cut to your measurement 🤷‍♂️

Sep 1, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #2,150 of 3,765
Sep 1, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #2,151 of 3,765
Sep 2, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #2,152 of 3,765
Yup. Zach is a fan of the Beyer amp.

As far as solid state amps designed for high impedance headphones, may I present to you....

20230901_161624.jpg
Which do you prefer between the V550 and the Cayin IHA-6? I know there's quite a difference in price but I'm curious haha

Sep 2, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #2,153 of 3,765
Somewhere in the first 10 pages or so I put a list that, then, represented the dream amp everyone surveyed wanted to have. But lots more since launched and discussed.

If space permits, I think A20 should be shortlisted somewhere as a more wallet-friendly option at least.

Sep 2, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #2,154 of 3,765
Good idea, time to update the list, and also move it forward to page 144 so more recent viewers can benefit from it.

Added Beyerdynamic A20, updated the Ampandsound models to current Rev 2, and added the new Decware/ZMF OTL.

Original list updated:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...r-zmf-headphones.965309/page-33#post-17215696

And reposted here below to help recent folks final it faster:

Here is the summary of current results in this thread to this survey:

“If you could get any amp whatsoever to pair with you ZMF headphones - no budget, access, or time constraints of any kind - what would be your ultimate dream amp?”

Replies are listed alphabetically. In hope that this will be a fun (and useful?:)) list for any future reader of this thread. I may go back and update this post from time-to-time if more replies or ideas come up here that intend by their nature to answer the question. Keep your ideas coming.... Here goes:
  • 1101 Audio Blue Halo+
  • Ampandsound Nautilus Rev 2
  • Ampandsound Red October Rev 2 (Elrog tubes)
  • Beyerdynamic A20
  • Cayin HA-300MK2
  • Decware // Reference ZMF OTL
  • DNA Stellaris Special
  • DNA Stratus
  • ECP Audio DSHA-3F
  • Eddie Current Studio Tribute
  • Eddie Current Studio B (300B version)
  • Eddie Current Zana Deux Super
  • Feliks Audio Envy
  • Glenn OTL
  • Linear Tube Audio MZ3
  • Ray Samuels, Emmeline, "The Apache"
  • Woo Audio WA33 Elite Edition
Last edited: 9/2/2023

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #2,155 of 3,765
Good idea, time to update the list, and also move it forward to page 144 so more recent viewers can benefit from it.

Added Beyerdynamic A20, updated the Ampandsound models to current Rev 2, and added the new Decware/ZMF OTL.

Original list updated:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...r-zmf-headphones.965309/page-33#post-17215696

“If you could get any amp whatsoever to pair with you ZMF headphones - no budget, access, or time constraints of any kind - what would be your ultimate dream amp?”

Replies are listed alphabetically. In hope that this will be a fun (and useful?:)) list for any future reader of this thread. I may go back and update this post from time-to-time if more replies or ideas come up here that intend by their nature to answer the question. Keep your ideas coming.... Here goes:
  • Beyerdynamic A20
  • Cayin HA-300MK2
  • DNA Stellaris Special
  • DNA Stratus
  • ECP Audio DSHA-3F
  • Feliks Audio Envy
  • Glenn OTL
Is there a reason the Linear Tube Audio MZ3 is missing?

Sep 2, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #2,156 of 3,765
Is there a reason the Linear Tube Audio MZ3 is missing?
No one surveyed put it as their preferred/top of bucket list amp
If that meets this criteria for you happy to add lmk

Sep 2, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #2,157 of 3,765
No one surveyed put it as their preferred/top of bucket list amp
If that meets this criteria for you happy to add lmk
I only own VC, AO and Aeolus, but it has wonderful synergy with each. I feel confident in adding it to the list.

Sep 2, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #2,158 of 3,765
Which do you prefer between the V550 and the Cayin IHA-6? I know there's quite a difference in price but I'm curious haha
I prefer the v550. It is much more technically adept. Better staging, separation, air and imaging. The Cayin doesn't sound too different from my vintage receivers. Gobs of bass and a thick solid sound. Still a very nice sounding amp though and personal preferences would weigh heavily when trying to decide between the two.

Sep 2, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #2,159 of 3,765

Original list updated:

• Beyerdynamic A20
  • Cayin HA-300MK2
  • DNA Stellaris Special
  • DNA Stratus
  • ECP Audio DSHA-3F
  • Feliks Audio Envy
  • Glenn OTL
Forgive me, but is the A20 really good enough to be considered a bucket list amp? I’m sure it punches way above its price and sounds great, but I doubt it should be considered an “ultimate dream amp.”

Sep 2, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #2,160 of 3,765
Forgive me, but is the A20 really good enough to be considered a bucket list amp? I’m sure it punches way above its price and sounds great, but I doubt it should be considered an “ultimate dream amp.”

Goal of list is to reflect members’ personal best-ever recommendation or aspiration amps for ZMF headphones. I’m just curating to reflect the subjective collective opinions, so anyone who wants to learn more when coming into this thread doesn’t get lost in 100.. 200.. 1000.. pages and gets some quick ideas what to look into based on other folks’ top recommendations, subjectivities and all. Then they can find details of the discussion on any amp by searching for it in the thread.

I only own VC, AO and Aeolus, but it has wonderful synergy with each. I feel confident in adding it to the list.

Will add.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back