Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Jul 1, 2023 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,869

ckhirnigs113

Headphoneus Supremus
Mod House Audio is close to releasing a newly developed planar magnetic open back headphone called the Tungsten. Very few details are known at this point, but the price is rumored to be $1500 for the single-sided magnet version and $2000 for the double-sided magnet version. Prices could change by the time of release of course. The release date has not yet been announced.

The few people that have heard the Tungsten as a demo at various audio shows have been highly impressed with the performance, especially at their price point. Here’s a picture of the headphones from CanJam Chicago 2023:
09C79C43-0803-431F-B239-DD481C4D4C15.png

Please use this thread to post any impressions of the new Mod House Tungsten.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #3 of 2,869
Really curious, any info about the actual weight of the headphone?

Don’t know spec but it was quite comfortable when I tried it, I’d guess “average weight” (sorry don’t have a more scientific data point 🤪)

Jul 2, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 2,869
Don’t know spec but it was quite comfortable when I tried it, I’d guess “average weight” (sorry don’t have a more scientific data point 🤪)

Haha, I saw your impression, then saw this thread, and immediately turned on my curiosity. Based on photo (the headband design and housing size), I truly hope Tungsten is more comfortable than something like RAD-0.

Jul 2, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #5 of 2,869
Haha, I saw your impression, then saw this thread, and immediately turned on my curiosity. Based on photo (the headband design and housing size), I truly hope Tungsten is more comfortable than something like RAD-0.

Have learned since that the ZMF comfort level pads were indeed provided by ZMF.. not sure if this will be the final pads but what I tried had great plush clamp so the headband was inconsequential to me

Jul 2, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 2,869
@goldwerger Any idea when the official release date is or if Ryan is still accepting pre-orders?

Jul 2, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #7 of 2,869
No clue

Chris from Mimic told me “a couple of weeks” and I just told him to put my name down and lmk… 🤷‍♂️

Jul 2, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 2,869
Will it be sold through a distributor as well as directly through Mod House Audio?

Jul 3, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #9 of 2,869
@goldwerger Any idea when the official release date is or if Ryan is still accepting pre-orders?
I believe Ryan is still accepting pre-orders but better contact him asap if you want to be included. He's very responsive in returning messages left on his website.

Jul 3, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #10 of 2,869
Contemplating which Tungsten to get i.e., the current version or the upcoming set with double sided drivers. Curious to know if anyone has heard the latter. I'm assuming all the demo sets have been exclusively the single sided version.

Jul 3, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #11 of 2,869
Jul 3, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #12 of 2,869
What are those?

Is he planning to release two models?

Thanks…
Yep, Ryan announced this second double driver version recently in a few telegram chats and also on his newsletter to those interested in the Tungsten.

The double driver version will be more expensive of course, final price hasn't been set yet, and expected to be more sensitive by 3 to 4 db / mW. Believe he's aiming for an August launch date if everything goes smoothly.

Jul 3, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #13 of 2,869
Yep, Ryan announced this second double driver version recently in a few telegram chats and also on his newsletter to those interested in the Tungsten.

The double driver version will be more expensive of course, final price hasn't been set yet, and expected to be more sensitive by 3 to 4 db / mW. Believe he's aiming for an August launch date if everything goes smoothly.

Thanks that’s good to know.

The only “double driver” headphone I’ve tried was the crosszone and those are very weirdly tuned. Haven’t seen a successful implementation of that yet.

I wonder which model I’ve demo-ed last weekend at CanJam Chicago’s Mimic Audio stand?
IMG_6474.jpeg

Jul 3, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #14 of 2,869
Thanks that’s good to know.

The only “double driver” headphone I’ve tried was the crosszone and those are very weirdly tuned. Haven’t seen a successful implementation of that yet.

I wonder which model I’ve demo-ed last weekend at CanJam Chicago’s Mimic Audio stand?IMG_6474.jpeg
Pretty sure everyone has just heard different iterations of the single sided version so that may be a safer bet.

Plus was interesting to hear your prior experience with other double sided drivers so... we might want to wait a bit before getting too excited about that version.

Jul 3, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #15 of 2,869
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back