Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Jul 3, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #16 of 2,948
I haven't heard anything about "double sided drivers", but Ryan has mentioned a "double sided magnet" version coming out. This might be the source of confusion.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #17 of 2,948
I haven't heard anything about a "double sided drivers", but Ryan has mentioned a "double sided magnet" version coming out. This might be the source of confusion.
Ahhh!

Jul 3, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #18 of 2,948
I recommend reading Ryan's latest entry on the "news" section of the Mod House Audio website, from June 30th, 2023. He gives a timeline of the development of the Tungsten. Here's a link: History of the Tungsten

Jul 3, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #19 of 2,948
I haven't heard anything about "double sided drivers", but Ryan has mentioned a "double sided magnet" version coming out. This might be the source of confusion.
Its most likely the same thing. Just double checked his newsletter though and it says "currently working on a double sided version of our drivers." So I guess that could also be interpreted as a driver with two magnets.

Jul 3, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #20 of 2,948
Its most likely the same thing. Just double checked his newsletter though and it says "currently working on a double sided version of our drivers." So I guess that could also be interpreted as a driver with two magnets.
I see how that could be confusing. Here is Ryan's post from the timeline:

"June 2023: By integrating the best design elements of v6 and v8, and changing the diaphragm material we were able to fix the treble issues and provide a new level of performance. I am now very happy with both the subjective and objective performance of these drivers and feel the represent the best we can do. That is, at least until we can make them with double sided magnets. We will be offering both single and double sided versions tentatively with more details to come."

Jul 3, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #21 of 2,948
I heard a prototype of these at a meet a few months ago and was blown away. These are special for sure.

Jul 3, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #22 of 2,948
I recommend reading Ryan's latest entry on the "news" section of the Mod House Audio website, from June 30th, 2023. He gives a timeline of the development of the Tungsten. Here's a link: History of the Tungsten
Thanks for posting that link showing the History of the Tungsten. I missed that on their website somehow or another. Very interesting development process.

Jul 3, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #23 of 2,948
Well, oh well, my interest had been piqued!!

Jul 3, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #24 of 2,948
Yep, Ryan announced this second double driver version recently in a few telegram chats and also on his newsletter to those interested in the Tungsten.

The double driver version will be more expensive of course, final price hasn't been set yet, and expected to be more sensitive by 3 to 4 db / mW. Believe he's aiming for an August launch date if everything goes smoothly.
I took the leap of faith and preordered the double sided version. The wait begins.

Jul 3, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #25 of 2,948
I took the leap of faith and preordered the double sided version. The wait begins.
What is the price on the double-sided magnet version? I believe the single-sided version is $1500.

Jul 3, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #26 of 2,948
What is the price on the double-sided magnet version? I believe the single-sided version is $1500.
Tentatively ~$2K but pricing isn’t finalized.

Jul 3, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #27 of 2,948
Jul 3, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #28 of 2,948
Has anyone had a chance to hear the double-sided magnet version yet?

Jul 3, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #29 of 2,948

where/how exactly did you place that pre-order?

Jul 3, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #30 of 2,948
where/how exactly did you place that pre-order?
Submitted an inquiry via the mod house contact us form. Ryan pinged me back over email.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back