Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Jul 3, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #31 of 2,948
Jul 6, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #33 of 2,948
I asked Ryan about that, he said about 515-520 grams.
The prototype I tired felt very comfortable, and the weight was very well distributed.

Jul 6, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #34 of 2,948
For those who have tried these at CanJam, did you get a good sense of what the tuning is like? I'm thinking of either these or Auteur Classics as my next pair. Of course the release is soon so there'll be more info then, but as I'm sure many others are I'm eager to find out more about these :beerchug:

Jul 6, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #36 of 2,948
I assume the double-sided magnet version will be heavier. I wonder if both versions will be identical or if Ryan will distinguish them in some way.

Jul 6, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #37 of 2,948
I assume the double-sided magnet version will be heavier. I wonder if both versions will be identical or if Ryan will distinguish them in some way.

Ryan says they will be similar weight, the double sided will have thinner/light magnets and will end up about same

single sided will cost $1.5k and double sided $2.0k (give or take some options)

double sided wasn't yet finalized but will be forthcoming shortly, so impressions for that pending (by anyone). intended to be similar tuning with perhaps more technicalities (thou can attest single sided is technically very good)

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #38 of 2,948
Ryan says they will be similar weight, the double sided will have thinner/light magnets and will end up about same

single sided will cost $1.5k and double sided $2.0k (give or take some options)

double sided wasn't yet finalized but will be forthcoming shortly, so impressions for that pending (by anyone). intended to be similar tuning with perhaps more technicalities (thou can attest single sided is technically very good)
technicality wise what would you compare it to?

Jul 7, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #39 of 2,948
technicality wise what would you compare it to?

from on my audition of the Tungsten (CanJam show conditions, relatively quiet and on a great chain, but still show conditions, and I've done no A/B testing thenm, it was purely a joy rider demo) -- I had the impressions it comfortably sat at double it pirce tier alongside planars in the 3-4k range. very well resolving and, mostly, well balanced frequency tuning and natural timbre (most important to me personally); a hint of warmth but not as warm as my ZMFs

note what I heard wasn't the final version, it has still been iterated on, so whatever comes out shortly will be further evolved, though I gather it was close to the end product

memory based (risky comparison method, as those tend to be emotional bias rather than actual comparisons) - technically sits I think in between my LCD-4 and Caldera (if I use planars as benchmarks)

hoping to get a demo set, tbd; if so I'll do a serious listen and benchmark to several sets in same chain - if I manage to I'll share here detailed notes!

Jul 7, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #40 of 2,948
Do the prices being discussed for the two versions ($1500/$2000) include any pre-order discounts or will these be the prices even after the headphones are officially released?

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #41 of 2,948
Do the prices being discussed for the two versions ($1500/$2000) include any pre-order discounts or will these be the prices even after the headphones are officially released?

Preorder discount $100 afaik

Jul 7, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #42 of 2,948
Should a Magni Piety have enough power to drive the Tungsten well? I'm not so well-versed on the things that make some planars difficult to drive

Jul 7, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #43 of 2,948
Should a Magni Piety have enough power to drive the Tungsten well? I'm not so well-versed on the things that make some planars difficult to drive
Likely not but curious what the current consensus is on likely sensitivity and impedance. If sensitivity is in the low 80s then Piety is going to run out of steam.

Jul 7, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #44 of 2,948
sensitivy expected around 76-78db, impedance around 100-150ohm depending on variant. The Piety should have about 0.6 Watt give or take at this impedance. It means lkely it will have sufficient volume but limited headroom and not drive these headphones with optimally or with great control

that is of course a guess. the only way to find out is to plug something in and just try. specs are specs, reality is reality. but it's a reasonably educated guess

Jul 8, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #45 of 2,948
sensitivy expected around 76-78db, impedance around 100-150ohm depending on variant. The Piety should have about 0.6 Watt give or take at this impedance. It means lkely it will have sufficient volume but limited headroom and not drive these headphones with optimally or with great control

that is of course a guess. the only way to find out is to plug something in and just try. specs are specs, reality is reality. but it's a reasonably educated guess
So will the Tungsten be harder to drive than the Susvara?! I believe it’s 83db and 60 ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back