The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Dec 28, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #3,032 of 3,722
The Homage has been rotting my brain by how good it looks, and I am genuinely tempted to pick one up but I have a Bokeh on the way soon. Also no DAC yet, but if I do consider the option of the Homage, what more budget friendly, atleast 300ish usd or more would pair well with the Homage?
If you can stretch to $400, the Geshelli Labs J2S dac with AKM 4493 and Sparkos op-amps should be a great pairing with the Homage.

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #3,033 of 3,722
If you can stretch to $400, the Geshelli Labs J2S dac with AKM 4493 and Sparkos op-amps should be a great pairing with the Homage.
I'm enjoying the pairing with the Homage :L3000:
20231228_203048.jpg

I've had the J2 DAC for about a year and chose the AKM 4493 chip. Mine has the earlier Texas Instruments op-amps since the socketed J2 version came out shortly after my order. The performance is nice for the price :thumbsup:. I'm using it here with the Caldera which is why it is switched to the lower impedance.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #3,034 of 3,722
Anybody using their Atrium Closed with a Mjolnir 3? I’m hoping it works as well with the AC as my other headphones.

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #3,035 of 3,722
Anybody using their Atrium Closed with a Mjolnir 3? I’m hoping it works as well with the AC as my other headphones.
I have been using my Mjolnir 3 with my Atrium opens for a few weeks now and they sound simply amazing..I have it paired with a BiFrost 2/64 and have been running the MJ3 in push/pull mode with feedback off to get used to the amp. The first thing I noticed was the solid and powerful rumble from the sub bass..The bass is also well controlled. The mid bass punches fast and hard..The mids are still buttery smooth and sound great...The sound stage is wide and holographic..It made everything I love about the Atrium sound a lot better...I'll be honest, I couldn't stop listening to them on this set up. I was like ahh just one more song and then it was three hours later 😂. I am beyond happy with the purchase of it. I don't see myself selling it anytime soon if ever at all.

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #3,036 of 3,722
I have been using my Mjolnir 3 with my Atrium opens for a few weeks now and they sound simply amazing..I have it paired with a BiFrost 2/64 and have been running the MJ3 in push/pull mode with feedback off to get used to the amp. The first thing I noticed was the solid and powerful rumble from the sub bass..The bass is also well controlled. The mid bass punches fast and hard..The mids are still buttery smooth and sound great...The sound stage is wide and holographic..It made everything I love about the Atrium sound a lot better...I'll be honest, I couldn't stop listening to them on this set up. I was like ahh just one more song and then it was three hours later 😂. I am beyond happy with the purchase of it. I don't see myself selling it anytime soon if ever at all.
I've heard from quite a few Atrium Open/MJ3 owners who really love the combination. I haven't found any info on the Atrium Closed/MJ3 paring. I hope it's just as magical!

Dec 29, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #3,037 of 3,722
I've heard from quite a few Atrium Open/MJ3 owners who really love the combination. I haven't found any info on the Atrium Closed/MJ3 paring. I hope it's just as magical!
Did you order one? If you did I think you will be happy with the purchase..

Dec 29, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #3,038 of 3,722
Dec 29, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #3,039 of 3,722
I'm using this combo right now (BF2/64 -> MJ3 -> Olive AC), and it's pretty good IMO. Low gain, SE, no feedback, XLR in, XLR out. I think I prefer the staging on the Homage a bit better, especially on a closed back – but the MJ3 does give it extra punch and dynamics that no other amps I've heard offer. It's entirely genre dependent IMO, and plucky acoustic instruments (koto, hammered dulcimers, guitars, harps) and sharper transient percussion are especially a treat on the MJ3.

Dec 29, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #3,040 of 3,722
I'm using this combo right now (BF2/64 -> MJ3 -> Olive AC), and it's pretty good IMO. Low gain, SE, no feedback, XLR in, XLR out. I think I prefer the staging on the Homage a bit better, especially on a closed back – but the MJ3 does give it extra punch and dynamics that no other amps I've heard offer. It's entirely genre dependent IMO, and plucky acoustic instruments (koto, hammered dulcimers, guitars, harps) and sharper transient percussion are especially a treat on the MJ3.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll be using a Yggy A2, so we have pretty similar setups. I'm going to experiment with high gain and push-pull as well, but I expect low gain and SE to be the best option for the AC.

Dec 29, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #3,041 of 3,722
I'm going to experiment with high gain and push-pull as well, but I expect low gain and SE to be the best option for the AC.
I do listen on the quieter side (60-65dB), but even with a -11dB preamp setting for EQ, I'm hardly hitting 10:30 on the volume dial on the MJ3 for the AC, even with low gain + SE. Haven't really felt high gain or push-pull sound any different for the AC.

I think the MJ3 is a great powerful amp that pairs exceptionally well with all ZMF headphones I own. I especially love it with the Caldera. I feel that's the best all-rounder pairing out of everything I've ever tried.

Dec 31, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #3,042 of 3,722
I have a good thing going on right now, and thought it was worth sharing in this thread. I currently have my VC's hooked up to my HA300MK2 for serious sit down sessions. Then at the same time, I have the Bokeh hooked up to my RU7 powered by my iMac. This really is a dream setup, where I can have my quick morning sessions without burning up my tubes, and also listen to youtube videos, and movies with the Bokeh/RU7 combo, or I can also dig in and get lost with my VC/HA300MK2 combo when more time allows. I find it interesting and cool, that I am using Cayin's entry level device and TOTL amp, and they both have their place and make my ZMF's sound heavenly. The Cayin house sound and ZMF house sound, both have an emphasis on realistic sounding mids, and pair extremely well together.

1000003948.jpg

Speaking of the Bokeh, having a ZMF that is easy to drive, has really been a game changer for me, and a much welcomed one at that. It's quite nice knowing I can just grab the Bokeh/RU7 on the go, and power it with my phone.

I am now able to have that glorious ZMF sound no matter where I am or how much time I have, and the Cayin RU7 and HA300MK2 both get big recs from me.

Life is good. :grin:

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #3,043 of 3,722
Happy New Year to ZMF and all my ZMF Buddies!
Happy listening and here's to another great year of enjoying that ZMF goodness! :beerchug:

Jan 1, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #3,044 of 3,722
Happy New Year to ZMF and all my ZMF Buddies!
Happy listening and here's to another great year of enjoying that ZMF goodness! :beerchug:

Thanks buddy. Happy New Year to you and to everyone here!

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Jan 1, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #3,045 of 3,722
Thanks buddy. Happy New Year to you and to everyone here!

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:
Likewise to you both, and to the ZMF-loving community here on Head-Fi.

May Zach and team continue to ascend to new heights in 2024! Happy listening to all-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back