The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Jan 8, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #3,061 of 3,712
_2e121a11-9467-4964-bd54-93e72e927c1c.jpg

As the picture says I'm looking for one tube amp as my only tube amp and could do with some help from the group. The big boss just gave me approval to buy a Feliks Euforia Evo which is on sale here in Australia for USD$2850. My current main headphones are VC's for all closed back listening and OG Utopia's for open. So the Euforia seems a great fit for both these as I love the sound of my VC's on my BHC but, you know, the upgrade bug..... plus the focal's sound bad on the BHC. The thing that's caused me to hesitate and ask more questions is I'm interested to pick up some higher end hifiman's (not susvara, arya organic or HE1000) or some meze elites or even a caldera if they become available second hand along the way and it's unlikely the Euforia is going to master those planars as well as the dynamics. So really thinking I need to answer these questions before I pull the trigger:
1 - Is there a better option, more flexible OTL amp at similar price?
2 - Do I need to give up on OTL and move to TC tube amps to cover more bases?
3 - If the answer to 2 is yes then what TC amp at similar price? I can build an Aegis DIY no issues as I have the skills for that. Or a Cayin or HP8 or DNA (startlett I think is the model at similar price). Any other suggestions?
Note that my music taste is about 50% electronic, 20% pop and then the last 30% is a mix of the rest. Also second hand market in US is largely unavailable to me due to voltage difference and shipping issues with big heavy tube amps.
Any and all suggestions appreciated. Cheers!

Jan 8, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #3,062 of 3,712
_2e121a11-9467-4964-bd54-93e72e927c1c.jpg
As the picture says I'm looking for one tube amp as my only tube amp and could do with some help from the group. The big boss just gave me approval to buy a Feliks Euforia Evo which is on sale here in Australia for USD$2850. My current main headphones are VC's for all closed back listening and OG Utopia's for open. So the Euforia seems a great fit for both these as I love the sound of my VC's on my BHC but, you know, the upgrade bug..... plus the focal's sound bad on the BHC. The thing that's caused me to hesitate and ask more questions is I'm interested to pick up some higher end hifiman's (not susvara, arya organic or HE1000) or some meze elites or even a caldera if they become available second hand along the way and it's unlikely the Euforia is going to master those planars as well as the dynamics. So really thinking I need to answer these questions before I pull the trigger:
3 - If the answer to 2 is yes then what TC amp at similar price? I can build an Aegis DIY no issues as I have the skills for that. Or a Cayin or HP8 or DNA (startlett I think is the model at similar price). Any other suggestions?
Note that my music taste is about 50% electronic, 20% pop and then the last 30% is a mix of the rest. Also second hand market in US is largely unavailable to me due to voltage difference and shipping issues with big heavy tube amps.
Since you have the skills, 'go Aegis'! Pride of build, of ownership, unworldly sound quality. ☑️.

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #3,063 of 3,712

1101 Audio Blue Halo+ is an OTL that can drive a lot of planars with good bass. It’s one of the most flexible OTL tube amps when it comes to headphones and tubes you can run with it. I was in your shoes looking for ”the one tube amp to rule them all” as an upgrade from the BHC and couldn’t be happier. I mainly use ZMF so this made a lot
of sense to me. There is a queue to join for a build so it would take some time.

Aegis seems like a great option - I havent heard one personally but seems everyone that hears it with ZMF loves it. The fact that ZMF will be making them at some point speaks volumes. Building one would be faster and super rewarding I’m sure. If I were in your shoes and wanted something “now-ish” this is probably what I’d do!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #3,064 of 3,712
Since you have the skills, 'go Aegis'! Pride of build, of ownership, unworldly sound quality. ☑️.
You have an impressive list of tube amps and your previous help with tube recommendations for my BHC really shortcut me to a combo that I've not felt the need to roll beyond so I already have good confidence in your recommendations. If you had the opportunity to swap an aegis for your Sonnett or HP8 would you do so?

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #3,065 of 3,712

First. great poster image :)

Second, for your current headphones, the Euforia is fantastic. The only OTL I've heard as good or better is the Decware/ZMF Reference OTL (which I have and love; detailed impressions in my review).

Third, if you want an amp that will also work with planar headphones then, yea, you should switch focus on transformer coupeld amps. I have the Aegis and love it. It's a unique presentation, more delicated, refined, airy, spacious (vs. deep and weighty) and has tremendous tube rolling options to tailor to taste. You could build one looks like. And ZMF will come with a commercial version in coming months (if you want a more expedient/simpler path).

We have an ongoing list in this thread of "dream amps", many more ideas here based on budget (and time/patience)... 1101, DNA, Ampandsound, Eddie Current... https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...r-zmf-headphones.965309/page-33#post-17215696

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 11:23 PM Post #3,067 of 3,712
I have the Aegis and love it. It's a unique presentation, more delicated, refined, airy, spacious (vs. deep and weighty) and has tremendous tube rolling options to tailor to taste.
Thanks for your input. Given 50% of my time is electronic music does that push the aegis out in favour of other options? Also thanks for the link to the dream amps :)

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #3,068 of 3,712
You have an impressive list of tube amps and your previous help with tube recommendations for my BHC really shortcut me to a combo that I've not felt the need to roll beyond so I already have good confidence in your recommendations. If you had the opportunity to swap an aegis for your Sonnett or HP8 would you do so?
For me, if it were a built Aegis, especially by @L0rdGwyn, yes! in an instant! 😀

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #3,069 of 3,712
Thanks for your input. Given 50% of my time is electronic music does that push the aegis out in favour of other options? Also thanks for the link to the dream amps :)

Depends on your taste. I'll give 2 contrasting examples I have on hand - the Aegis and Auris Nirvana (the former also working with EL34 tubes, the latter only with EL34, both TC amps):

The Aegis has far superior soundstage, it is in fact one of the best soundstage producing amps I've ever heard: very expansive in feel. The Nirvana, in contrast, has a much smaller soundstage but a much more focused center image. It punches and accentuated bass wtih super speed and tightness. The Aegis can have an excellent bass as well, it just present it with more decay. Think more lush and refined vs. more tight and grippy (as best I can translate sonic experience into verbal adjectives in brevity😉).

The Aeggis has one advantage of flexbile tube rolling, of which the output tubes make the most impact: I've so far used few EL34 types, currently using EL37, and just got a bunch of EL38 I plan to roll in shortly. If I wanted something that was closer to a deep and warm rumble and more bassy, I'd use my XF2 (NOS EL34 tubes made by Mullard). For a more delicate and expansive presenation I used the EL37 (which, for me, accentuate the Aegis' strengths). I haven't tried the KT88 but they should have a great bass (though they are very expensive and may be an overkill). I'm told the EL38 provides extra clarity, which I will check soon. So, you get more flexbiltiy here.

(edited some typos)

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 1:30 AM Post #3,070 of 3,712
Depends on your taste. I'll give 2 contrasting examples I have on hand - the Aegis and Auris Nirvana (the former also working with EL34 tubes, the latter only with EL34, both TC amps):

The Aegis has far superior soundstage, it is in fact one of the best soundstage producing amps I've ever heard: very expansive in feel. The Nirvana, in contrast, has a much smaller soundstage but a much more focused center image. It punches and accentuated bass wtih super speed and tightness. The Aegis can have an excellent bass as well, it just present it with more decay. Think more lush and refined vs. more tight and grippy (as best I can translate sonic experience into verbal adjectives in brevity😉).

The Aeggis has one advantage of flexbile tube rolling, of which the output tubes make the most impact: I've so far used few EL34 types, currently using EL37, and just got a bunch of EL38 I plan to roll in shortly. If I wanted something that was closer to a deep and warm rumble and more bassy, I'd use my XF2 (NOS EL34 tubes made by Mullard). For a more delicate and expansive presenation I used the EL37 (which, for me, accentuate the Aegis' strengths). I haven't tried the KT88 but they should have a great bass (though they are very expensive and may be an overkill). I'm told the EL38 provides extra clarity, which I will check soon. So, you get more flexbiltiy here.

(edited some typos)
Thanks for your very detailed response, it helps a lot. I am quite tempted to build the Aegis, think I'll need to have a serious look at the BOM and pricing to get the parts to Australia. You are comparing it to an amp that costs 4 times as much as the Feliks Euforia here so that says a lot.

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:30 AM Post #3,071 of 3,712
Not necessarily. This will be a little one sided as I have the Aegis and not the Euforia.

I listen to a lot of EDM, trance and other dance / house and love the Aegis with the ZMF AC… and even the Meze Elites do well but with less bass.

I was listening to some Lee Coombs albums last night (Light and Dark) and the bass with the AC 😳… it hits hard! It’s never felt lacking to me. Because of the width of stage of the amp naturally if you pick a tube setup that gives a big stage with good tight bass, treble extension when you put on Auteur pads on the AC, you end up with a good size stage still but really good hard hitting bass that has a clear spherical stage, clear layering. Love the AC on Aegis for electronic.

The ability to change to many different tubes makes it very flexible though. From the above to classical, jazz or acoustic. That tube flexibility will allow you to find the right tonal balance to match headphones that may need a darker / Lighter presentation.

There will be other amps that will be better at this or better at that but I’m not too worried as the Aegis seems to be extremely good at most things. Of course, the Aegis will feel special if you’ve built it but it also means you can tweak how it looks!

From what I’ve read, the Euforia os now slouch either though so I'm sure you’ll have fun no matter 👍🏻

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:48 AM Post #3,072 of 3,712
Not necessarily. This will be a little one sided as I have the Aegis and not the Euforia.

I listen to a lot of EDM, trance and other dance / house and love the Aegis with the ZMF AC… and even the Meze Elites do well but with less bass.

I was listening to some Lee Coombs albums last night (Light and Dark) and the bass with the AC 😳… it hits hard! It’s never felt lacking to me. Because of the width of stage of the amp naturally if you pick a tube setup that gives a big stage with good tight bass, treble extension when you put on Auteur pads on the AC, you end up with a good size stage still but really good hard hitting bass that has a clear spherical stage, clear layering. Love the AC on Aegis for electronic.

The ability to change to many different tubes makes it very flexible though. From the above to classical, jazz or acoustic. That tube flexibility will allow you to find the right tonal balance to match headphones that may need a darker / Lighter presentation.

There will be other amps that will be better at this or better at that but I’m not too worried as the Aegis seems to be extremely good at most things. Of course, the Aegis will feel special if you’ve built it but it also means you can tweak how it looks!

From what I’ve read, the Euforia os now slouch either though so I'm sure you’ll have fun no matter 👍🏻
That's awesome to know because the bass is a big factor for me.

Jan 9, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #3,073 of 3,712

I agree, this is more than likely the only amp you will ever need.

It will power all dynamics and most planars if not all.

It can use some of the best sounding audio tubes.

Jan 9, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #3,075 of 3,712
If you wanted something deep and weighty what would you go with? And does the answer change for planars?

AIC10.... (sorry, inside joke🤪)

knowing in advance you are asking about tubes amps, I'd go for Ampandsound either Red October (300B) or Nautilus (KT88 or other), both are immensely powerful, textured, and honestly just incredible. They are both very expensive, as well as big and weighty - so you'll need space in both your wallet and home.

Both are now on Revision 2. I heard this latest revision of the Nautilus at CanJam Chicago with the then-prototype of the Tungsten SS, Susvara, and DK8 LTE - it was simply outstanding; and at SoCal I heard the new revision of the Red October with the release version of the Tungsten DS, which it drove without breaking a sweat, wonderfully (I've previously tested with the earlier revision of the Red October the Susvara and VC, and loved it).

Between them, the 300B is a bit more holographic "tube-like". The Nautilus more neutral. If I had a space in my rack (i.e. willing to trade off 4-5 amps) I'd personally get the Red October.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back