The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Jan 10, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #3,076 of 3,722
Are there any recommended OTL amps with a 4 pin XLR headphone connection that are available today? They don't seem to be too common but I'd prefer not to use an adapter for my cable if possible. I'm currently eying the Feliks Euforia Evo since it's one I can buy right now but things like Blue Halo I've been seeing here look to be highly regarded and interesting. I still have over 100 pages of this thread to go through though so I may find some more options :o2smile: the Evo is about $3500 so I'd say that's around my budget.

Jan 10, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #3,077 of 3,722
Are there any recommended OTL amps with a 4 pin XLR headphone connection that are available today? They don't seem to be too common but I'd prefer not to use an adapter for my cable if possible. I'm currently eying the Feliks Euforia Evo since it's one I can buy right now but things like Blue Halo I've been seeing here look to be highly regarded and interesting. I still have over 100 pages of this thread to go through though so I may find some more options :o2smile: the Evo is about $3500 so I'd say that's around my budget.

I also dislike not having a convenience 4-pin XLR

FWIW, one solution I use in such cases - and it's really convenient - is the super short adapter from Double Helix. I just live it permanent plug into the 1/4" and voila...

1704909432994.png

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #3,078 of 3,722

FWIW, one solution I use in such cases - and it's really convenient - is the super short adapter from Double Helix. I just live it permanent plug into the 1/4" and voila...

1704909432994.png
I'll check it out! Would definitely prefer this over the adapters with a bit of cable between the connections.

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #3,079 of 3,722
The mono version of the ampsandsound Kenzie (with output transformers) sounds great with ZMF Auteur and Focal Utopia when I had a chance to listen to these combinations.

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #3,080 of 3,722

1704909432994.png

No doubt this is better than a cable "pigtail" that does the same thing. But the 2 times I researched it, Double Helix would only sell their adapters to people who had purchased cables from them.

Jan 10, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #3,081 of 3,722
Personally, my favorite upgrade I've made to my chain is getting some Western Electric 300Bs in my Cayin ha300 mk2. True end game technicals without losing the classic rich tube sound. I listen to everything but IEMs on the high impedance toggle since it even adds body to the Caldera to my ear.
*Lol seems headfi won't load the pic with the amp in the amp thread
20240110_151149.jpg

Attachments

• 20240110_151208.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #3,082 of 3,722
*Lol seems headfi won't load the pic with the amp in the amp thread
I think once you exceed a certain file size limit it turns it into a downloadable attachment. Killer ZMF collection btw :eyes:

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #3,083 of 3,722
Not necessarily. This will be a little one sided as I have the Aegis and not the Euforia.

I listen to a lot of EDM, trance and other dance / house and love the Aegis with the ZMF AC… and even the Meze Elites do well but with less bass.

I was listening to some Lee Coombs albums last night (Light and Dark) and the bass with the AC 😳… it hits hard! It’s never felt lacking to me. Because of the width of stage of the amp naturally if you pick a tube setup that gives a big stage with good tight bass, treble extension when you put on Auteur pads on the AC, you end up with a good size stage still but really good hard hitting bass that has a clear spherical stage, clear layering. Love the AC on Aegis for electronic.

The ability to change to many different tubes makes it very flexible though. From the above to classical, jazz or acoustic. That tube flexibility will allow you to find the right tonal balance to match headphones that may need a darker / Lighter presentation.

There will be other amps that will be better at this or better at that but I’m not too worried as the Aegis seems to be extremely good at most things. Of course, the Aegis will feel special if you’ve built it but it also means you can tweak how it looks!

From what I’ve read, the Euforia os now slouch either though so I'm sure you’ll have fun no matter 👍🏻
I have the Feliks Euforia 20th Ann Ed which is an Evo on the inside with a different finish and no XLR. Gonna start an Aegis build this weekend as parts are rolling in. Very interested to see what I think of it compared to the Feliks. But that will be a while. My goal is to NOT keep both long term so I can free up funds for other things.

The Feliks is a wonderful amp. Very musical. I find it plays every genre well. Though it is less tubey sounding than many tube amps out there. Very different than the Feliks Elise which I had before that. Great tube rolling amp. The Euforia is so damn good top to bottom though.

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #3,084 of 3,722
Personally, my favorite upgrade I've made to my chain is getting some Western Electric 300Bs in my Cayin ha300 mk2. True end game technicals without losing the classic rich tube sound. I listen to everything but IEMs on the high impedance toggle since it even adds body to the Caldera to my ear.
*Lol seems headfi won't load the pic with the amp in the amp thread 20240110_151149.jpg
Blue Caldera & green Atrium. So beautiful!

Jan 10, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #3,086 of 3,722
How long did it take you to get all the parts?
I was pretty lucky. I had everything but the Elma switch ordered and shipped within days. The switch will be 3-5 weeks (he hopes it would be on the short end of range or before). But I have plenty to do before that part of the build. The transformers can be a long lead time but they try and keep a set or two available. The chassis can take 3-4 weeks. He had one he gave me on discount with a less than optimal paint job that I took that shipped same day.

So for me, I’ll begin building starting a week or so after ordering. If you wanted to do it, first contact should be about the transformers. Biggest expense and longest lead time if it isn’t already available.

Jan 10, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #3,087 of 3,722
*Lol seems headfi won't load the pic with the amp in the amp thread 20240110_151149.jpg
Dang! That is a killer collection of headphones! :astonished:

I am right there with ya on the WE300B in the HA300mk2, as I just got a pair last week. :grin: My VC's have never sounded better, and the WE's just bring out the best in them and make them scale beyond belief. The WE's are flat out the best tubes I have ever heard, and I love how they combine detail/transparency and euphony, with serious punch and crazy good holographic staging. They have it all and then some I didn't know was possible, and I feel like I am floating with the music while listening.

Jan 10, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #3,088 of 3,722
Dang! That is a killer collection of headphones! :astonished:

I am right there with ya on the WE300B in the HA300mk2, as I just got a pair last week. :grin: My VC's have never sounded better, and the WE's just bring out the best in them and make them scale beyond belief. The WE's are flat out the best tubes I have ever heard, and I love how they combine detail/transparency and euphony, with serious punch and crazy good holographic staging. They have it all and then some I didn't know was possible, and I feel like I am floating with the music while listening.
I agree about the WE. I know many are all about the Elrogs, but they're in 2nd place for me. The WE bring a certain magic with ZMFs. They just sound huge, especially with the VR135 you have listed in your sig.

Jan 10, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #3,089 of 3,722
I agree about the WE. I know many are all about the Elrogs, but they're in 2nd place for me. The WE bring a certain magic with ZMFs. They just sound huge, especially with the VR135 you have listed in your sig.
Heck yeah! Elrog's are a thing of the past for me, as the WE's are just flat out better for my preferences. The WE are what I always dreamed a 300B tube would sound like. The VR135 (Mullard Red Print) paired up with them is an incredible combo, and the staging is insane and you can literally feel the punch and texture of the bass.

Jan 10, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #3,090 of 3,722
Your Atrium and my VC are very similar. I live the Stabilised sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back