The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Sep 29, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #2,401 of 3,750
Hello, I wanted to share some brief impressions about the amp Beyerdynamic A20 that I recently purchased.

The very first time I heard/read from this amp was in the post by @senseitedj (page 142). Then other folks commented that Zach recommended it in the past for the ZMF DD and so I was curious about it and decide to do some research.

This is a simple, small-sized, well-built amplifier, with an unusual output impedance of 100ohms. I've read many times from Zach that a higher output impedance benefits the ZMF DD sounds, preventing them from becoming too dampened and getting better timbres, bass, etc. So, I said let’s try, looked in the used stuff market and got it from a local guy for a ridiculous less than 200€/$

It’s very simple with just one pair or RCA inputs, RCA outputs for preamp (not tested), two 6.3mm hp sockets and a soft volume knob, but it’s surprisingly powerful at 300ohms (I never pass above nine o’clock on the volume knob)

About the sound, I fully agree with what @senseitedj mentioned in his post. I would highlight (paired with a VO):

• Very good timbre. I love the timbre of the Verite, but the A20 enhances it. More natural, full-bodied and delicious. Both with instruments and voices.
  • Nice instruments separation, with much air/space between them and lot of layers. It's as if the driver can breathe easier and the music flows and expands effortlessly.
  • Wide and holographic soundstage. I’d say wider than deeper, but very nice nonetheless
In terms of FR, I wouldn’t call it a warm amplifier, but neutral-warm with a clear, detailed and sweet sound.

Bringing up what @jonathan c also commented about the A20 in a previous post (page 148), absolutely agree about the ability to reproduce the ambiance and reverb of the space where the music was recorded. It’s a pleasure to listen to live music

Anyway, excuse me if I seem too hype (may be the price I paid helps…😉). But I have tried other good amps (not direct A/Bing) and I think the A20 isn't far off. It punches above his original price of 500-600$ when paired with high impedance DDs. It's definitely a keeper for me and “absolutely acceptable for worry-free listening” (borrowed from @jonathan c)

_DSC8969.JPG
A better power cable will improve the depth of the soundstage. I use a Wireworld Aurora 7. The A20 also drives the HD800 very good. But it's not a great pairing with Beyers own 600 ohm DT990 ime. Only tubes will do on that one. Great with HD600, but not so great with the HD650 whitch i find much better on tubes. So it may sound great with some ZMF DD 300 ohm headphones but not necessarily great with all of the different ZMF models?

Sep 29, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #2,402 of 3,750
We have sound! There are probably many things wrong with this photo (not least the fact that the speaker is upside down) but can we just focus on the head fi components for now? I'm still waiting on my interconnects so I can't use the HP8 yet and have to use the built in amp in the Element X. It sounds great!

hZ37YUP.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #2,403 of 3,750
• The observations by @Rollnrock on Beyerdynamic A20: 🎯.
• When A20 is driving a ZMF dynamic driver headphone, Verite Closed (Ziricote) in this case,
42F35AE3-4B73-4900-AB46-D3DBEC688A8F.jpeg
what captures me is the aural blossoming: the sound filling space with authenticity, without constraint.
• I can only surmise that the moderate (3x) damping factor between a 300-ohm h/p and a 100-ohm h/p/a is responsible: no ‘excessive’ control of drivers by amplifier.
• Anyway, there is no need for subliminal correction of miscues involving ambience, attack, decay, reverberation … no listening ‘fatigue’. Immersion is the order of the listening session!

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #2,404 of 3,750
Hello, I wanted to share some brief impressions about the amp Beyerdynamic A20 that I recently purchased.

The very first time I heard/read from this amp was in the post by @senseitedj (page 142). Then other folks commented that Zach recommended it in the past for the ZMF DD and so I was curious about it and decide to do some research.

This is a simple, small-sized, well-built amplifier, with an unusual output impedance of 100ohms. I've read many times from Zach that a higher output impedance benefits the ZMF DD sounds, preventing them from becoming too dampened and getting better timbres, bass, etc. So, I said let’s try, looked in the used stuff market and got it from a local guy for a ridiculous less than 200€/$

It’s very simple with just one pair or RCA inputs, RCA outputs for preamp (not tested), two 6.3mm hp sockets and a soft volume knob, but it’s surprisingly powerful at 300ohms (I never pass above nine o’clock on the volume knob)

About the sound, I fully agree with what @senseitedj mentioned in his post. I would highlight (paired with a VO):

• Very good timbre. I love the timbre of the Verite, but the A20 enhances it. More natural, full-bodied and delicious. Both with instruments and voices.
  • Nice instruments separation, with much air/space between them and lot of layers. It's as if the driver can breathe easier and the music flows and expands effortlessly.
  • Wide and holographic soundstage. I’d say wider than deeper, but very nice nonetheless
In terms of FR, I wouldn’t call it a warm amplifier, but neutral-warm with a clear, detailed and sweet sound.

Bringing up what @jonathan c also commented about the A20 in a previous post (page 148), absolutely agree about the ability to reproduce the ambiance and reverb of the space where the music was recorded. It’s a pleasure to listen to live music

Anyway, excuse me if I seem too hype (may be the price I paid helps…😉). But I have tried other good amps (not direct A/Bing) and I think the A20 isn't far off. It punches above his original price of 500-600$ when paired with high impedance DDs. It's definitely a keeper for me and “absolutely acceptable for worry-free listening” (borrowed from @jonathan c)

Glad my findings are helpful to you!

my impressions largely align with what you wrote.

If you have a planar HP, you can try the A20 as well it pairs surprisingly well. Despite the 100 ohm output impedance, its also able to drive my Audeze LCD-4z (15 ohm) really well!

I think the only real flaw with the A20 is the small power output. So won't be driving your Susvaras with it. My HEDDphone V1 had some issues with it.

As far as pairing it with the ZMF line-up, I think it really trades blows with amps 2-3x its price. I've owned it since 2013, and have never had any reliability issues with it.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #2,405 of 3,750

If you have a planar HP, you can try the A20 as well it pairs surprisingly well. Despite the 100 ohm output impedance, its also able to drive my Audeze LCD-4z (15 ohm) really well!

I think the only real flaw with the A20 is the small power output. So won't be driving your Susvaras with it.** My HEDDphone V1 had some issues with it.

As far as pairing it with the ZMF line-up, I think it really trades blows with amps 2-3x its price. I've owned it since 2013, and have never had any reliability issues with it.
** true of many h/p/a.

Sep 30, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #2,406 of 3,750
70D76667-87BE-4363-B09D-A774FAF4B840.jpeg

Sep 30, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #2,407 of 3,750
• The observations by @Rollnrock on Beyerdynamic A20: 🎯

I think the only real flaw with the A20 is the small power output. So won't be driving your Susvaras with it. My HEDDphone V1 had some issues with it.

Thanks to @jonathan c and @senseitedj for their comments. And thanks for helping me find this little gem! :beerchug: :beerchug:

I don't have plannars currently. I've sold pretty much all my previous headphones (Ananda, Aria, Focal Clear...) and now I'm selling a Focal Elegia. My intention is to get an Atrium Closed at some point and live with the VO and the AC for a while.

(the only one I'm not selling is my Grado SR80 which was my first serious hp)

Sep 30, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #2,409 of 3,750
Thanks to @jonathan c and @senseitedj for their comments. And thanks for helping me find this little gem! :beerchug: :beerchug:

I don't have plannars currently. I've sold pretty much all my previous headphones (Ananda, Aria, Focal Clear...) and now I'm selling a Focal Elegia. My intention is to get an Atrium Closed at some point and live with the VO and the AC for a while.

(the only one I'm not selling is my Grado SR80 which was my first serious hp)

What a coincidence. I too am the owner of a focal elegia, and planning to sell it soon. The only difference I got the AC before selling my elegias. A20 is a good match with elegia as well.

Anyway AC is an excellent HP. I forgot it actually closed back since its so open sounding.

Oct 1, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #2,411 of 3,750
@CEE TEE talking specifically about the synergy with ZMFs and his new amp.

Oct 1, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #2,412 of 3,750
@CEE TEE talking specifically about the synergy with ZMFs and his new amp.

Ah, this was the amp I heard yesterday at CanJam and got compare against the bread box jds amp. I felt my Caldera sounded better on the Nitch. Little smoother with more liquid sound. I’m believe both amps were hooked up to the same source. Didn’t get a chance to try any dynamic ZMFs on these 2. I believe the new portable ZMF was probably right there and didn’t realize it.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #2,413 of 3,750
• The observations by @Rollnrock on Beyerdynamic A20: 🎯.
• When A20 is driving a ZMF dynamic driver headphone, Verite Closed (Ziricote) in this case, what captures me is the aural blossoming: the sound filling space with authenticity, without constraint.
• I can only surmise that the moderate (3x) damping factor between a 300-ohm h/p and a 100-ohm h/p/a is responsible: no ‘excessive’ control of drivers by amplifier.
• Anyway, there is no need for subliminal correction of miscues involving ambience, attack, decay, reverberation … no listening ‘fatigue’. Immersion is the order of the listening session!
I find many of the things both @jonathan c and @senseitedj mention about the A20 also describe OTL tube sound in general, though admittedly tubes give a very particular representation of note dimension that SS cannot.

Every time I hear a high impedance source with a high impedance headphone, my first impression is serenity, calmness; the sound is unforced.

I've been interested in the A20 for a long time. If I didn't already own a ridiculous # of amps (it's a compulsion), I'd have one.

Oct 1, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #2,414 of 3,750
I find many of the things both @jonathan c and @senseitedj mention about the A20 also describe OTL tube sound in general, though admittedly tubes give a very particular representation of note dimension that SS cannot.

Every time I hear a high impedance source with a high impedance headphone, my first impression is serenity, calmness; the sound is unforced.

I've been interested in the A20 for a long time. If I didn't already own a ridiculous # of amps (it's a compulsion), I'd have one.
I specifically use A20 to give Woo Audio WA3 (and its tubes) a rest.

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #2,415 of 3,750
PS to @Pharmaboy : A20 is absolutely phenomenal with Verite Open 😳🤪.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back