The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Feb 9, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #586 of 4,701
They will not deliver at the peak of their abilities if powered with a laptop, they will be able to play and that very well, but would be better with an amp.

I am sure a pair of 2050 from a laptop would be quite fine and enough for 95% of the worlds population, but this is head.fi and some of us are regular madmen, I was bitten by a radioactive Headphone at a science experiment so I have a legal excuse.....

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #587 of 4,701
I sometimes listen to Pandora on my Kindle using my Takstar 2050s. They definately need the boost from my Fiio E6 to sound "right". With headphones it's often hard to tell what is missing until you have heard it. If that makes sense.

cubdog

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #588 of 4,701
Thanks for the response guys. If I were to get a portable amp for them do you have any recommendations? I looked up the Fiio E6 that Cubdog mentioned and it's cheapish and more importantly very small, a good thing for me as I'm loathe to put any extra cables/hardware into my laptop than needed.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #591 of 4,701
Quote:
Hello, everyone. I bought the HI 2050. I don't have a separate DAC, so I use my laptop or the PC. My first impressions: these headphones have no bass and very sharp highs. So sharp it hurts my ears. It's like someone's breaking glass bottles near my ears. I don't know if a separate DAC would help. Would it help? Or will the bass appear after burn in? I listen mostly rock and metal music.

For example this track: goo.gl/q8fVd
On my Sennheiser PX 100-II and Brainwavz R1 I can clearly hear the bass with no EQ settings changed. With HI 2050 i have to rise 50-80hz by 3-4db to hear the bass guitar.

I would agree... these headphones are a tad harsh... very bright sounding compared to my dt880.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #592 of 4,701
They will get softer in the sound, when they have gone through burn-in..
They will remain a tiny bit bright in the signature, to me it is on brightness level with DT880 just about, if a term like that makes any sense...

I guess it also depends on what music you like and what you like in the music..

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #594 of 4,701
Quote:
hey claus, do you happen to have the Takstar TS-671 also?

if so can you say something about the sound, maybe similarities to other more well know phones?

I own the TS-671, I'm going to make a wild guess the TS-671 sound is more of a knock off of the AKG 700 series.
(but I've never listed to the AKG 700 series)

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #595 of 4,701
Quote:
I own the TS-671, I'm going to make a wild guess the TS-671 sound is more of a knock off of the AKG 700 series.
(but I've never listed to the AKG 700 series)

You are spot on, in that regard, the 671 has a HUGE soundstage, it is actaully despite it´s gigantuan size very comfortable, it is not a phone for bassheads no no no.
Classical and Jazz is where it excells not Eminem or Black eyed peas..
Good details not quite on the level of the 701, but still quite good.

The signature is a little bit like the HD800, NOT THE SQ the soundsignature, the tonality, the way it presents the music..

I really need a different Cable the plug is a very cheap one and it has a spiral cable, so that needs to be done...

I suspect that these phones share drivers with the two other models, just my gut feeling, so it should be possible to pull out more bass with some mods, it could be a very funny phone to mod to the extreme, just for the fun of it..

I so miss the times where I had more time to do mods on my phones, maybe I should go berserk on these, would anybody be interested in such a thread ??
It is more fun with an audience..

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #597 of 4,701
Just ordered a pair I will try to post some pictures and do comparison between these and some budget and some low mid fi headphones(ath m35,harx 900,ATH-PRO700MK2 and something else).

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #599 of 4,701
So, I was just about to post my big 100 hour review on the Pro80, and my computer crashes randomly. No pictures now. :frowning2: anyway, I think I'll just post it without pics (I'll try to when I get the bugger fixed!)

On to the review: PLEASE NOTE, I have modified the pads by getting Brainwavz HM5 pads, which provides a large boost in the comfort area, and provides a bit more bass, but there are NO noticeable differences apart demo aesthetics beyond this point. Anything I say about the Pro80 will include the Brainwavz pads on the headphones.

Looks: they are very pleasing to the eye, no doubt. The earcups are large, black and shiny. The forks, however, are a bit spotty with the paint, with chips missing from the get go. But these chips are too small to be seen unless you really get up close to these things, scrutinizing every angle. That being said, the headband is a different story, very well built and very smooth to the touch. The new Brainwavz pads make the earcups close evenly together, which looks cooler than stock pads. The Brainwavz pads have to be the most cushiony things on the planet, moreso than XB500 pads. True story. When I showed these off to a friend of mine, he said they look very professional, not weird at all. They really do look stunning on the head. 8.5/10

Comfort and Fit: this is an issue that must be assessed BEFORE buying these headphones. I have a normal sized head, and these fit me fine. However, if you have even a slightly larger than normal head, these headphones will not fit you. No joke, after reading some of the comments about how small they were, I thought they were exaggerating... They were not. The headband is tiny. Like, super tiny. However, the forks can be adjusted 7-8 notches (1-1.5 inches) on both sides. So don't fret, there is hope. The stock pads fit my normal sized ears just fine. Maybe a tiny bit snug, but not tight. The Brainwavz pads though, that's a different story. Very roomy, a lot less claustrophobic and very, very comfortable. Definitely recommended if you buy these. The clamping force is a bit less than middle of the road force, but can be worn for several hours at a time with no comfort issues. Clamping force is evenly distributed around the pads. 8/10

Portability: the cable is around 4 feet when relaxed, about 7 when stretched. Great length for walking around. 3.5mm jack is small enough to fit easily past my iPhone 4S Otterbox Defender case. Sound isolation is very, very good. One of the best I have ever tried. At comfortable music levels, others will not be able to hear your music more than 2-3 feet away. And external sound is blocked very well too. The best closed back headphone I own. 10/10

Sound Quality: simply put, you have to buy it to believe it. I paid HOW MUCH for this?!?! I have found my all time favorite under $100 budget king. I have solidly enjoyed all 100 hours so far. Everything from electronic to games to rock to hip hop and back again, simply gorgeous sound. My personal favorite bit about it, the detail. Especially the little details. You can hear everything. Not exaggerating here, I have listened to songs 20+ times on my AKG Q701s and have still heard new bits listening to them with the Pro80. I still can't believe it. How can these things match up to a pair of headphones costing 3x as much? I'm guessing magic, or something close to it. The more you listen, the more is revealed. The bass is very tight. Not as tight as the Q701, but it's up there. A portable amplifier such as the FiiO E11 can really bring out the full potential from these cans. No, you don't NEED an amplifier, but it will sound better with one. The midrange is crisp and clear. Both male and female vocals are extremely precise and present. The treble is a bit funky. Sometimes it's there, sometimes too much. But a quick fix with an equalizer is the best thing to do. When properly EQ'd, these things will shine just that much more. Combined with a portable amplifier, these are pure mid-fi, at a much more affordable price. I found them to be very best with electronic music. If you like EDM, get these. Just get them. However, they do go great with pretty much every genre. Because of the versatility, the balance and the detail, these score a 10/10 for the price.

Bottom Line: yes, there are better headphones, but none that I have found near the pricetag of these wonderful cans. Total, I spent 80 on the headphones themselves, which included the carrying case, and 20 for the Brainwavz pads, a must have for the end result. My overall score, I say a solid 9/10. Very close to perfect for me. Still, a few minor issues like the spotty paint and the overall size. If you are thinking about buying these, just buy them already. And do yourself a huge favor and get the Brainwavz HM5 pads to go with it. Trust me, this is a purchase you will not regret. :)

Thanks for reading! -BiggBenn

Feb 15, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #600 of 4,701
Great review!

I totally agree om everyhing you say. I also very much share you're love for the HM5 pads. I have four pairs of them now and all are in use:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back