The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Jan 29, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #572 of 4,701
50 hour update: I have finally received my Brainwavz HM5 pads in the mail for the Pro80 Had to stretch them quite a bit, took me 20 minutes to fit them completely on. Pain in the backside. However, that time was completely worth it. The comfort has gone from about a 6-6.5 to about 8-8.5. They are so plushy. Isolation has gone down maybe a tiny step, from around 8 to 7.25-7.5, so not much. They are not hot on my ears either. Warm, maybe, but definitely not hot. Heat has reduced from a solid 4 to a 2.75-3. And at $25 shipped, a good improvement and addition to the Pro80. Sound wise, a bit more bass, but overall clarity and detail remains the same as it was before, very very good. These do not cease to amaze me, especially for just about $100 now.

Halfway there, everyone! :) -BiggBenn

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #573 of 4,701
I'm heavily considering the Gemini DJ HSR-1000 as my first decent headphones.
Can someone inform me if I need an amp/dac or anything else that will give me some better sound with these?
If I do need an amp/dac, then recommendations for something under $100 would be great.

I'm already considering doing the HM5 pads switch based on how I like the feel when I receive the headphones if I do end up buying them.

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #574 of 4,701
Quote:
I'm heavily considering the Gemini DJ HSR-1000 as my first decent headphones.
Can someone inform me if I need an amp/dac or anything else that will give me some better sound with these?
If I do need an amp/dac, then recommendations for something under $100 would be great.

I'm already considering doing the HM5 pads switch based on how I like the feel when I receive the headphones if I do end up buying them.

If your using the headphones with a Windows PC, get the Asus Xonar DG sound card ($27)
Also, the Gemini HSR-1000 may not fit well for people with large heads.

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #575 of 4,701
My head is on the medium-small side so no worries there.
I only have a laptop as I'm in college, it's an ASUS with the audio by Bang & Olufsen so I'm hoping that it has fairly decent sound output.

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #576 of 4,701
Quote:
My head is on the medium-small side so no worries there.
I only have a laptop as I'm in college, it's an ASUS with the audio by Bang & Olufsen so I'm hoping that it has fairly decent sound output.

Could be that Asus cuts Bang & Olufsen a check for just using the name.

A Fiio E10 ($75) USB-DAC-amp might improve the audio quality.

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #577 of 4,701
Hello, everyone. I bought the HI 2050. I don't have a separate DAC, so I use my laptop or the PC. My first impressions: these headphones have no bass and very sharp highs. So sharp it hurts my ears. It's like someone's breaking glass bottles near my ears. I don't know if a separate DAC would help. Would it help? Or will the bass appear after burn in? I listen mostly rock and metal music.

For example this track: goo.gl/q8fVd
On my Sennheiser PX 100-II and Brainwavz R1 I can clearly hear the bass with no EQ settings changed. With HI 2050 i have to rise 50-80hz by 3-4db to hear the bass guitar.

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #578 of 4,701
PX 100-II is bassy and Brainwavz R1 are really bassy, they're not neutral, that could explain the lack of bass you feel with HI 2050. I tested your track, I can hear a normal amount of bass, highs on HI 2050 are edgy sometimes, depending on the genre of music you listen to, I think you can feel them agressive compared to PX 100-II and R1 which are more bass/mids focused.

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #579 of 4,701
Quote:
Hello, everyone. I bought the HI 2050. I don't have a separate DAC, so I use my laptop or the PC. My first impressions: these headphones have no bass and very sharp highs. So sharp it hurts my ears. It's like someone's breaking glass bottles near my ears. I don't know if a separate DAC would help. Would it help? Or will the bass appear after burn in? I listen mostly rock and metal music.

For example this track: goo.gl/q8fVd
On my Sennheiser PX 100-II and Brainwavz R1 I can clearly hear the bass with no EQ settings changed. With HI 2050 i have to rise 50-80hz by 3-4db to hear the bass guitar.

I think my Hi2050 come with decent bass, so maybe a little break in time would help

A Fiio E10 USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier should be able to work with laptop or desktop computer.
and improve over all sound quality.

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #581 of 4,701
Quote:
Bass is the part that suffers most when phones are underpowered, so I think your problem lies not with your phones but the way you drive them, these phones deserves an decent amp..

I dont think so. Both my thinkpad and my phone drive them perfectly, i think its a factory defect if there's no bass... He should still try to amp them but i doubt it would help. 

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #582 of 4,701
I don't think your Thinkpad and your phone drive it perfectly, when amped, you have better space and dynamics, bass don't sound dull. I guess you're used to bassy headphone/IEMs (especially Brainwavz R1) and listening to HI 2050 leave the feeling there are no bass, or at least not enough for you.

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #583 of 4,701
Quote:
I dont think so. Both my thinkpad and my phone drive them perfectly, i think its a factory defect if there's no bass... He should still try to amp them but i doubt it would help. 

No they do not, I can not drive mine properly with my Sansa, my Cowon, My Ipod, my PC. etc etc
They sound OK and nice, but with a proper amp. they really shine..

The bass could be a matter of habit, try using them and only them for a couple of weeks and they will magicly change and deliver bass and when you then try your Brainwash they will sound way to bassy for you, the human brain is a funny thing and never stops fooling us..

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #584 of 4,701
I will get my Takstars HD2000 the next week. First takstars for me. They cost me only 25 dollars here in Argentina. Im sure they will be great value for the money. I will review them soon.

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #585 of 4,701
Hi, I am considering buying a pair of the Hi2050s but am just wondering if my laptop alone (onboard soundcard) would be enough to power them? And also has anyone bought them from Amazon UK ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Takstar-professional-Headphone-Computer-Koolertron/dp/B0062TV73M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360420777&sr=8-1 )?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back