The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Jan 3, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #391 of 4,701
Quote:
Ok, so I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on a pair of Takstars. My problem is this, I can't decide on which one.
What I want: 1. Good, clear bass. Doesn't have to be boomy, but tight. Which has more, 2050 or pro 80?
2. Durable. I will most likely use these outside, not necessarily in the rain, but outdoors.
3. Sound quality. I want the best bang for my buck. (But come on, who doesn't?)
4. Comfort. I will use them a lot (hopefully)
5. Easily moddable. Just in case I want to change something in the future.
All in that order, which one should I get? Hi2050, or Pro 80?
Thanks!

the comfort on the 2050 is questionable, the fabric on the pads gets tiresome after a few hours, i suggest getting some aftermarket pads.

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #395 of 4,701
I can wear them for few hours without any issue, question would be how long do we wear them usually and what becomes extreme cause then none of the spares or other brand fit either. In the other hand I was looking for cushion type which will properly fit HI2050 and found these two types http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AN5Z39K/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=electronics and http://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Compatible-Sennheiser-Audio-Technica-ATH-PR05/dp/B00531TV5Q/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357293340&sr=1-4, if anybody else has experience with other spare pads or different brand which is currently on the market for few bucks please let me know. 

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #397 of 4,701
Quote:
I can wear them for few hours without any issue, question would be how long do we wear them usually and what becomes extreme cause then none of the spares or other brand fit either. In the other hand I was looking for cushion type which will properly fit HI2050 and found these two types http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AN5Z39K/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=electrand onics and http://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Compatible-Sennheiser-Audio-Technica-ATH-PR05/dp/B00531TV5Q/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357293340&sr=1-4, if anybody else has experience with other spare pads or different brand which is currently on the market for few bucks please let me know. 

If the Brainwavz HM5 pads fits the HI2050 and don't effect the sound in a negative way (Claus may be able to answer this) I highly recommned spending a little more and getting them (available at mp4nation),

I use them on my Pro80 (among others) and they're very comfortable.

As far as I understand the HI2050 and Pro80 can use the same pads.

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #399 of 4,701
Quote:
If the Brainwavz HM5 pads fits the HI2050 and don't effect the sound in a negative way (Claus may be able to answer this) I highly recommned spending a little more and getting them (available at mp4nation),

I use them on my Pro80 (among others) and they're very comfortable.

As far as I understand the HI2050 and Pro80 can use the same pads.

My Hi2050 and HSR-1000 (Pro 80) appear to have the same cups size.
I think I like the smoothness of the HSR-1000s leather pads a little better then the Hi2050's Velour pads.
The Velour ear pads on the Hi2050 are not as smooth as the Velour on more "Name Brand" headphones.

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #400 of 4,701
Quote:
I'm pretty sure pro80 is just a closed 2050, so I bet pads/etc would be interchangeable

As I have both models, they appear to have the same cup size.

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #403 of 4,701
I replaced the stock pads on my Pro 80s with a set of SRH940 pads, fit and feel are excellent. Not as big a step up from my broken-in HI2050 pads as I was expecting in terms of how the velour feels, but the SRH940 pads start out soft, while the HI2050 pads took a little time to get there. The 940 pads have a thicker material covering the cup opening than the Pro 80 pads, but without A-Bing I didn't notice a drop off in the highs. As Claus mentions a few pages back, switching from pleather to velour pads has the predictable effect on SQ - bass is slightly reduced due to the loss of seal around the ear, and sound stage increases. Still plenty of bass, and decidedly less claustrophobic, while still eliminating the sound leakage from open headphones that wakes up the Missus whenever I get a missile lock playing Battlefield 3 (it's a rather high-pitched whine that can fill a room when using the HI2050s).

The 940 pads also leave a bit more room inside the earcup for my ears. While I haven't had a ton of head-time with the stock pads on the Pro 80s yet and they (or perhaps my ears) would have no doubt broken in nicely given the chance, I've just been spoiled by the comfort of the HI2050s and didn't care to wait.

Shure HPAEC940 Replacement Velour Ear Pads for SRH940

I'm also planning to swap the Pro 80 pads onto the HI2050s to get an idea of the tradeoffs to soundstage and bass. If it goes well (or maybe just for giggles), I'll order the Brainwavz HM5 pads (or an equivalent, since there are numerous rebrands of that headphone too, and while I hear the Fischer ones are the best I haven't found a source for just the pads).

Brainwavz HM5 Spare Earpad 1pc

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #404 of 4,701
Would the Pro80 be better for electronic music than the 2050? Or music with a generally heavier bass? Which would be better for portable use? I'd think the Pro80 would be better for this, but I'd like to get an opinion from someone that owns a pair. From what everyone is saying, the Pro80 sounds like a really good bang for your buck.

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #405 of 4,701
Quote:
I may be mistaken, but I think the Pro 80 has a detachable cable, while the 2050 does not.

The Hi2050 & Pro 80 do not have a cable that detaches from the headphone cups.
(It would be nice if they did).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back