The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Apr 7, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #4,126 of 4,701

Hi and sorry to jump in.  I would like to thank you very much for your valuable advice.
Coming from the Takstar I have bought now a pair HP2011.    
Your good comments refer to the stock headphones or you have performed some mods ?
Thanks a lot again 
Regards,  gino 

Well? I did mention a slight modification in sound I did on the Pro 80's (shown maybe 5 to 10 pages back). But, for the ISK HP2011, MDH9000, HD9999, or HF2010.....no need to, they sound great to me!

Apr 7, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #4,127 of 4,701
Well? I did mention a slight modification in sound I did on the Pro 80's (shown maybe 5 to 10 pages back).
But, for the ISK HP2011, MDH9000, HD9999, or HF2010.....no need to, they sound great to me!

Hi and thank you very much again. 
I destroyed a pair of Takstar hi2050 trying to replace the cable and i was about to buy another one
but then i read your reviews of the ISK HP2011 and bought these ones instead.
Kind regards, gino 

P.S.  i bought also a pair of these 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272184738502

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #4,128 of 4,701

Hi and thank you very much again. 
I destroyed a pair of Takstar hi2050 trying to replace the cable and i was about to buy another one
but then i read your reviews of the ISK HP2011 and bought these ones instead.
Kind regards, gino 

P.S.  i bought also a pair of these 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272184738502

I heard these at the Takstar headphone shop two weeks ago and they actually sound good. I like their SQ even better than the HI2050.  
beyersmile.png

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #4,129 of 4,701
I need to buy one semi-portable over the head headphones for the trips and carrying in the bag that are comfortable and have a good sound. They also need to be sensitive, since I will listen them mainly from my smart phone. Price range should be no more than 20-30 usd. I am a grown man, medium size head and ears. Comfort is very important to me so in-ears are out of the question.
I was thinking to buy takstar hd2000, they cost 24usd, are there maybe some better options down there maybe some bluetooth or wired does not matter?

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #4,130 of 4,701
I heard these at the Takstar headphone shop two weeks ago and they actually sound good. I like their SQ even better than the HI2050.  
beyersmile.png

Hi and thanks a lot again !
Now i am quite excited because IMHO the hi2050 were already very very good  
L3000.gif

I had good intentions in replacing the cord but then i stop at the soldering phase.
It is an extremely delicate operation.  I would never attempt it again for sure.  At maximum some mods on the pads. 

However i think i will need also a closed model.  I see many models in the ISK catalog:
  1. HD-9999
  2. HP-3000
  3. HP-980
  4. MDH9000

i wonder what would be the best option for a closed HP.  
I would like to start some live recordings in noisy places. 
Thanks a lot again for the precious advice.
Regards, gino 

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #4,131 of 4,701

Hi and thanks a lot again !
Now i am quite excited because IMHO the hi2050 were already very very good  
L3000.gif

I had good intentions in replacing the cord but then i stop at the soldering phase.
It is an extremely delicate operation.  I would never attempt it again for sure.  At maximum some mods on the pads. 

However i think i will need also a closed model.  I see many models in the ISK catalog:
  1. HD-9999   <----
  2. HP-3000
  3. HP-980
  4. MDH9000

i wonder what would be the best option for a closed HP.  
I would like to start some live recordings in noisy places. 
Thanks a lot again for the precious advice.
Regards, gino 

According to what I've read so far and your idea sound signature I think The HD9999 would compliment your open-cans perfectly!

......these are also considered their flagship model
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #4,132 of 4,701

According to would I've read so far and your idea sound signature I think The HD9999 would compliment your open-cans perfectly!
......these are also considered their flagship model
wink.gif

Thanks a lot indeed for your very helpful advice.  
Actually i had read your very positive opinion about the HD9999 but then i saw and older model also very similar, the HP-980 slightly cheaper on ebay.
But better to go for the flagship.
I will report my findings ... actually i wonder if this brand does not deserve a specific thread.  I understand that they build part for AKG, a brand i love. 
This really means something ... speaks for high quality of manufacturing. 
Thanks a lot again.
Kindest regards,  gino 

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #4,133 of 4,701
Since we are derailing this thread from takstar products...I feel like I must bring up a perfect upgrade to pro80. I've mentioned these headphones couple of times but I've never really got any responses. Either people think I'm full of **** or I'm working for Msur. I assure you, neither is the case. I've been a devoted fan of takstar for many years now but I've found a headphone that offers so much more for little extra investment.

Msur N550: Walnut cups, steel and alloy hinges,2 different  detachable cables, beryllium drivers. As stock and without burn in these are very bassy headphones. V-shaped to some. I't takes either eq or mods to get balanced sound. Thing is that after some modifications these offer clarity pro80 can't match. Nor can dt 770, or ath-m50...or hm5. Very few people own these headphones but as it happens two of them also own well liked yamaha mt220, bot of them preferred msurs over yamahas.

Whilst having the clarity comparable to $1000 headphones these have a killer bass. Pro80 sounds bass anemic in comparison. Bass+clarity is something you don't often get with headphones that cost  a lot more.

I've allready sold T5p and Sony Mdr-cd3000 in favor of Msurs. Not saying that even modded Msurs are better but the difference is so tiny it does not justify 10x price difference. I hope someone else decides to give msurs a change. Without a doubt these things are the best you can get for the money and I'm feeling like a village clown because nobody listens to me :)  On aliexpress these cost about $100.

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #4,134 of 4,701
Since we are derailing this thread from takstar products...I feel like I must bring up a perfect upgrade to pro80. I've mentioned these headphones couple of times but I've never really got any responses. Either people think I'm full of **** or I'm working for Msur. I assure you, neither is the case. I've been a devoted fan of taksar for many years now but I've found a headphone that offers so much more for little extra investment.

Msur N550: Walnut cups, steel and alloy hinges,2 different  detachable cables, beryllium drivers. As stock and without burn in these are very bassy headphones. V-shaped to some. I't takes either eq or mods to get balanced sound. Thing is that after some modifications these offer clarity pro80 can't match. Nor can dt 770, or ath-m50...or hm5. Very few people own these headphones but as it happens two of them also own well liked yamaha mt220, bot of them preferred msurs over yamahas.

Whilst having the clarity comparable to $1000 headphones these have a killer bass. Pro80 sounds bass anemic in comparison. You might ask how something can have so much more bass and still sound crystal clear... Well, it is something you usually get when you spent more than $500.

I've allready sold T5p and Sony Mdr-cd3000 in favor of Msurs. Not saying that Msurs are better but the difference is so tiny it does not justify 10x price difference. I hope someone else decides to give msurs a change. Without a doubt these things are the best you can get for the money and I'm feeling like a village clown because nobody listens to me :)  On aliexpress these cost about $100.

I am interested in these, but I cannot find them on the internet anywhere. Please help. Thanks

Edit: just found on NewEgg. Thanks

Apr 8, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #4,135 of 4,701
  Since we are derailing this thread from takstar products...I feel like I must bring up a perfect upgrade to pro80. I've mentioned these headphones couple of times but I've never really got any responses. Either people think I'm full of **** or I'm working for Msur. I assure you, neither is the case. I've been a devoted fan of taksar for many years now but I've found a headphone that offers so much more for little extra investment.

Whilst having the clarity comparable to $1000 headphones these have a killer bass. Pro80 sounds bass anemic in comparison. You might ask how something can have so much more bass and still sound crystal clear... Well, it is something you usually get when you spent more than $500.

I've allready sold T5p and Sony Mdr-cd3000 in favor of Msurs. Not saying that Msurs are better but the difference is so tiny it does not justify 10x price difference. I hope someone else decides to give msurs a change. Without a doubt these things are the best you can get for the money and I'm feeling like a village clown because nobody listens to me :)  On aliexpress these cost about $100.

What mods did you do to yours?

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #4,136 of 4,701

What mods did you do to yours?

Easiest way to alter the sound is to use the three vent holes. More holes you close, more it tames the bass.

I placed thin piece of foam over the driver and a thicker ring of foam around it.

That brings the mids more forward and tames the highs. Because the outer foam ring covers the baffle air vent holes I removed the papers so atleast some of the air can pass through.   I covered back of the baffle with blue tack to make the baffle more rigid and less resonant. I plan on replacing the bluetack with some self adhesive acoustic tape... I'd  like the insides of the headphones to be as identical as possible in both cups. I removed the piece of paper tha covers the back went. That made the sound more spacious but also added too much reverbs. As a back wave guidance system of sorts I'm using ear tip from my tennmak clarinet iems.

Those iem tips are not a perfect solution and I feel that the cups still need some sort of dampening. I have not decided what material I will use. All of those mods are reversible if you don't throw away those hole cover papers. Try and fail method :) I doubt any of those mods are mandatory so the headphones can be tweaked to ones liking without aiming to one specific goal.

Only thing that is a must have is unfortunately the one thing that costs money. The pads are not ideal. Those are thick(as thick or maybe 1-2mm thicker than hm5 pleathers) , soft and comfortable if you don't have big ears. If you don't have fit problems  the pads are still the main reason for the excessive bass. I use hm5 pleather pads. Those fit fine but are just a bit too small.

I also tried hm5 velours but highs are a bit too much with those. Mids become recessed and mid bass looses it punch. Strangely there is still enoug subbass. With velour pads those foams over the driver are essential. Even though I decided to ditch the velour pads it was a nice experiment. Those pads show a lot of the drivers potential. Detail retrival is on par with my Sony Sa-5000 and Beyer T5p. Highs have kind of electrostat like effortlessnes...it's a shame that those are not in balance with other frequencies.

I'm not dead set on on using the hm5 pleathers. Hybrid pads might be better. If those maintain some of the air and detail of velours without leakin out the midbass and mids... I have not yet decided if I will get hm5 hybrids or hifiman focus pads.

I use the shorter cable. It is fine but very thin so I guess there might be room for improvement.

It is amazing how many obvious things there are wrong with these headphones and yet these sound as good as they do even with these unfinished mods :)

EDIT: This thread might be more appropriate for future msur discussion :)

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #4,137 of 4,701
  Easiest way to alter the sound is to use the three vent holes. More holes you close, more it tames the bass.

I placed thin piece of foam over the driver and a thicker ring of foam around it.

That brings the mids more forward and tames the highs. Because the outer foam ring covers the baffle air vent holes I removed the papers so atleast some of the air can pass through.   I covered back of the baffle with blue tack to make the baffle more rigid and less resonant. I plan on replacing the bluetack with some self adhesive acoustic tape... I'd  like the insides of the headphones to be as identical as possible in both cups. I removed the piece of paper tha covers the back went. That made the sound more spacious but also added too much reverbs. As a back wave guidance system of sorts I'm using ear tip from my tennmak clarinet iems.

Those iem tips are not a perfect solution and I feel that the cups still need some sort of dampening. I have not decided what material I will use. All of those mods are reversible if you don't throw away those hole cover papers. Try and fail method :) I doubt any of those mods are mandatory so the headphones can be tweaked to ones liking without aiming to one specific goal.

Only thing that is a must have is unfortunately the one thing that costs money. The pads are not ideal. Those are thick(as thick or maybe 1-2mm thicker than hm5 pleathers) , soft and comfortable if you don't have big ears. If you don't have fit problems  the pads are still the main reason for the excessive bass. I use hm5 pleather pads. Those fit fine but are just a bit too small.

I also tried hm5 velours but highs are a bit too much with those. Mids become recessed and mid bass looses it punch. Strangely there is still enoug subbass. With velour pads those foams over the driver are essential. Even though I decided to ditch the velour pads it was a nice experiment. Those pads show a lot of the drivers potential. Detail retrival is on par with my Sony Sa-5000 and Beyer T5p. Highs have kind of electrostat like effortlessnes...it's a shame that those are not in balance with other frequencies.

I'm not dead set on on using the hm5 pleathers. Hybrid pads might be better. If those maintain some of the air and detail of velours without leakin out the midbass and mids... I have not yet decided if I will get hm5 hybrids or hifiman focus pads.

I use the shorter cable. It is fine but very thin so I guess there might be room for improvement.

It is amazing how many obvious things there are wrong with these headphones and yet these sound as good as they do even with these unfinished mods :)

EDIT: This thread might be more appropriate for future msur discussion :)

Thanks for the details! I will check out the thread :)

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #4,138 of 4,701
So the ISK HP-2011 arrived.
My initial impression is that they sound very good (for the 39$ I've paid for them).
They came with a soft pouch which is almost too small for them but they can somehow fit.
Overall the build quality is pretty good and they feel solid (but still plasticky).
The included pads are pretty solid but I've got nothing other to compare to (other than my velours on my DT880 which are much more comfortable).

These headphones sounds really good for the price.
They are not refined as the DT880 but for the price they are not far behind.
The soundstage seems to be pretty good for closed headphones, and the overall sound feels balanced.
I feel like something is kinda "missing" in the sound but I can't figure out what it is.

Mine have a flaw in the headband where the mesh ends (only on one side).
Other than that everything seems fine.

Apr 9, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #4,139 of 4,701
Mine have a flaw in the headband where the mesh ends (only on one side).
Other than that everything seems fine.

When I did the no-cable mod for my Gemini I caused that flaw a couple of times. You can unscrew that piece re-align and close again in 2min, it took me a couple of times because I changed the stock cable from left to right channel for something more sturdy.

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #4,140 of 4,701
Mine arrived yesterday. The packet was nicely packed and everything arrived in good shape.

At $39, they are very good value for money and I could have paid up to $89 for these. These are my first closed HPs. I currently own Takstar 2050, Philips X1 and HD598. 

The looks are average reflecting the price point.

The sound stage is not bad given these are closed HPs. As compared to my Philips X1, I find the mids and highs are upfront. Of course, overall X1 are different from these as X1 produces more refined and relaxed sound.  

They are comfortable to wear but I have used them for only 2 hours yesterday. More on this later.  

In my case too, the flaw on the mesh is there on the right side but I have put a black tape around it. So it is now not visible. 

Overall, I am satisfied with this purchase. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back