The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Jun 13, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #3,436 of 4,701
  Tascams's don't compare to takstars. Those are one of the most over hyped headphones imo.  Those measure well, but even for $15 there are better headphones.

Openings on velours with hi2050 are slightly bigger than the pleather ones on pro80. But it is a minimal difference. 

It does get better than that. Exibel mhx10 does propably sound better :)

I've been raving for pro80's for about three years now, but with exibels I've finally found a headphone that is superior for the price :)

The Exibel mhx10 look like a modded DSE VT-H68. I own those headphones and they don't even come close to the Pro 80s in anything. But they are great for $20. 

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #3,437 of 4,701
Those might actually have the same drivers. There is quite a bit of differences though. Pads, housing, baffle are all different. Also the cups swivel which helps in properly positioning the drivers in angle.

Exibels without eq sound veiled compared pro80's. After the bass is toned down with eq it's a whole another beast. It still doesn't match the clarity of takstars but I like the more full bodied sound.  There are quite a bit of reverbs which might be a turn off for some people but I find those add to a speaker like presentation. I'm mostly a speaker guy after all and my main headphones are jvc dx1000 so I'm bit biased. Plenty of bass and a large soundstage are what I'm after. But I also appreciate different sound signatures. I really love pro80's and my main open headphones are sony mdr-sa5000 which are a complete opposite of jvc's.

Did you try eq with the dick smith headphones? Maybe if they have same drivers as exibels those also suffer from same problems that can be fixed with turning down the bass and increasing high frequencies a bit.

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #3,438 of 4,701
  Those might actually have the same drivers. There is quite a bit of differences though. Pads, housing, baffle are all different. Also the cups swivel which helps in properly positioning the drivers in angle.

Exibels without eq sound veiled compared pro80's. After the bass is toned down with eq it's a whole another beast. It still doesn't match the clarity of takstars but I like the more full bodied sound.  There are quite a bit of reverbs which might be a turn off for some people but I find those add to a speaker like presentation. I'm mostly a speaker guy after all and my main headphones are jvc dx1000 so I'm bit biased. Plenty of bass and a large soundstage are what I'm after. But I also appreciate different sound signatures. I really love pro80's and my main open headphones are sony mdr-sa5000 which are a complete opposite of jvc's.

Did you try eq with the dick smith headphones? Maybe if they have same drivers as exibels those also suffer from same problems that can be fixed with turning down the bass and increasing high frequencies a bit.

I found them to be OK as is, never tried EQ with them. But yeah, theyre veiled with rolled off treble. The soundstage is good for an on the ear headphone but not something to write home about.

Jun 13, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #3,439 of 4,701
  Tascams's don't compare to takstars. Those are one of the most over hyped headphones imo.  Those measure well, but even for $15 there are better headphones.

Openings on velours with hi2050 are slightly bigger than the pleather ones on pro80. But it is a minimal difference. 

It does get better than that. Exibel mhx10 does propably sound better :)

I've been raving for pro80's for about three years now, but with exibels I've finally found a headphone that is superior for the price :)

Those Exibels look a lot like an on ear version of Donscorpio Dolphin.

Jun 14, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #3,441 of 4,701
I'm going to sell either the Pro80 or the Hi2050s if any of you are interested. I still need to make up my mind on which of the two I want to keep though. I live in EU!

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #3,443 of 4,701
I'll write to you via PM. Wether I'll be selling one or the other, I'm going to sell the headphones with stock + HM5 Pads. :)

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #3,445 of 4,701
I'd say it is quite an obvious choice. Hi2050 has airier sound because of open design, but despite closed design pro80's get 95% there. And because of closed design pro80's have better bass and isolation. No brainer really, unless you care about the price difference.

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #3,446 of 4,701
  I'd say it is quite an obvious choice. Hi2050 has airier sound because of open design, but despite closed design pro80's get 95% there. And because of closed design pro80's have better bass and isolation. No brainer really, unless you care about the price difference.

Ye, you're pretty much right. Done some A/B comparisons as well and I will post a review/comparison for both on here as well soon...

Anyways, I made my mind up and decided to sell the 2050s.

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #3,447 of 4,701
I've done some more comparing with exibels and takstar. Got some confusing results... I've had the exibels for over a month, so I'm familiar with the sound. I have used those alot with my phone and topping nx1. Exibels always had the muffled sound issue without the eq, which I fixed on my pc rig. I've used without eq on my samsung/topping setup but today I tried eq'in it too. I got no results. Well...atleast no good ones anyway.

I was unable to get similar sound I have on my main rig. It is either a problem with my phones eq system, bad quality files, or exibels really like higher end setup . Unfortunately I don't have any good affordable amp/dac systems so I can't say for sure which is it.

With my main system hegel hd10->spl phonitor->exibels it is obvious to me that I like these more than pro80's. Quite amazing really, because out of inexpensive headphones both hi2050 and pro80 are among the ones that scale up the most with better equipment.

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #3,449 of 4,701

Can you give some hint as to what EQ you used with the Exibel MHX10? I ordered a pair after reading your comments and they arrived this morning.

I have been using the Pro80s at work for well over 2 years now, but with velour pads which I prefer for comfort (at the expense of some isolation and bass). It's a fairly modest setup with UCA222 DAC and Objective2 amp. I'm using foobar2000 with no EQ at all, though I installed EqualizerAPO yesterday to play with EQ. I have been trying the Pro80s with a considerable boost (10dB!) at 4kHz to see what difference correcting their measured dip at that frequency makes. I'm not sure I like it but it's early days.  

For the Exibels, my first impression is also that they are a bit 'boomy' so I've started by toning down the bass at 40,80Hz by 5dB and 20,150Hz by 2.5dB and that's more acceptable to me. Still not as crisp and clear as the Takstars, but they could be more acceptable for listening in bed at home as the isolation is better and comfort is not too bad. Currently I use Philips Downtown - headband is not as comfortable as these Exibels. I also tried Accudio on my iPod 4gen as it has a profile for the Downtowns and I think it improved the boominess on those quite nicely. I need something akin to Equalizer APO for the iPod/iPad for these Exibels though, seems like there are umpteen choices.

Thanks for the heads up anyway, for the price the Exibels are very acceptable. A bit 'bling' but if you are not wearing them outside, who cares?

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #3,450 of 4,701
I just found out I have an old Technics (Panasonic) SA-X800 in my house. It has what seems to be a quite nice and solid stereo integrated amplifier section!

My Dad surely bought it in the Mid 80's or '90s.

I'll try to pair my DAC and amp the headphones from there and see how it goes. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back