The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Jun 5, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #3,406 of 4,701
  Starting to think that the Pro 80 sounds too thin for some rock track, most red hot chilli peppers songs just don't sound nice from it 
confused_face_2.gif

Maybe I should blame the HM5 velour pads for it, or maybe I just prefer some extra bass + warmer sound of the HD681 Evo for rock...

Get the Pleather ones. Maybe the angled NVX and/or angled HM5s once they come out. You won't regret it :)

I'm doing a direct comparison between pleather and velour and it is noticable... Pro80s don't lack bass in my opinion, it depends on the cups and how you amp them mainly. I feel that with the Pleather the bass feels just right. Present, tight, punchy, full and enriched, but not too dominating. 

Jun 5, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #3,407 of 4,701
  Get the Pleather ones. Maybe the angled NVX and/or angled HM5s once they come out. You won't regret it :)

I'm doing a direct comparison between pleather and velour and it is noticable... Pro80s don't lack bass in my opinion, it depends on the cups and how you amp them mainly. I feel that with the Pleather the bass feels just right. Present, tight, punchy, full and enriched, but not too dominating. 

the bass is just right on them, anymore bass and i would say it might be to much. 

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #3,409 of 4,701
  Yeah, I'll get that sexy dark blue pads from Brainwavz soon!

Well, not anymore...

Quote:
  Starting to think that the Pro 80 sounds too thin for some rock track, most red hot chilli peppers songs just don't sound nice from it 
confused_face_2.gif

Maybe I should blame the HM5 velour pads for it, or maybe I just prefer some extra bass + warmer sound of the HD681 Evo for rock...

I still dislike them for rock, althogh I forgot how I like them for classical/orchestral music, wow 
dt880smile.png

Will keep it with the velours for classical and the evos for rock, sweet and cheap combo.

Jun 8, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #3,410 of 4,701
I'm still giving these headphones quite a good burn-in as I am trying to do a direct comparison in order to give you my opinion about the two cans.

The Pro80s have had probably around 100-150 hours of burn-in and the sound is very pleasant. The bass is godly. It really feels just right for my taste. Listening to Old School Hip Hop is so engaging now. Between the Hi2050s and the Pro80s I believe these are the straight-up candidate for being the perfect all-rounder. Soundstage is a bit less since they are closed, but it's not that much of a difference to be arguable. With these, you get more detail, clearer Mid-Bass, lots of Isolation, and comfort-wise I really love the feel of the HM5 Pleather pads. The only downside to me seems to be Jazz and Classical. It's still pleasant and well presented, but it sounds somewhat "artificial" to my ears. Other than that I would say these are very accurate for their price range.

The Hi2050s have around 40-50 hours burn-in so this will probably not be my last and final opinion about these. Soundstage is wider although I'm still trying to understand if I like how it's presented or not since I'm having a hard time enjoying the sound separation and details as much as I did on the Pro80s. Bass is lacking energy. Some "Marching Band" drums I listened to felt so weak, muddy and emotion-less that the image I got from it was that the drums skins weren't even tight enough. Nevertheless, the dry and airy touch to them make them preferable for Jazz and Classical, but not very convincing for anything else. These are also less forgiving in terms of poor quality audio formats and/or bad recording. Sometimes the highs are harsh but I believe the HM5 velour pads smoothen them out quite a bit. I still prefer the feel and comfort of the Pro80s with pleather pads. Clamping force is also a bit looser on the 2050s.

I'm also still trying to understand if genres like Ambient and Post-Rock are better on one, the other, or even both!

Please note that I'm using the HiFiMeDIY Sabre DAC 2 that also has an integrated amp. I hope I don't annoy you with these constant updates and thoughts while I give the cans some head time.

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #3,411 of 4,701
  I'm still giving these headphones quite a good burn-in as I am trying to do a direct comparison in order to give you my opinion about the two cans.

The Pro80s have had probably around 100-150 hours of burn-in and the sound is very pleasant. The bass is godly. It really feels just right for my taste. Listening to Old School Hip Hop is so engaging now. Between the Hi2050s and the Pro80s I believe these are the straight-up candidate for being the perfect all-rounder. Soundstage is a bit less since they are closed, but it's not that much of a difference to be arguable. With these, you get more detail, clearer Mid-Bass, lots of Isolation, and comfort-wise I really love the feel of the HM5 Pleather pads. The only downside to me seems to be Jazz and Classical. It's still pleasant and well presented, but it sounds somewhat "artificial" to my ears. Other than that I would say these are very accurate for their price range.

The Hi2050s have around 40-50 hours burn-in so this will probably not be my last and final opinion about these. Soundstage is wider although I'm still trying to understand if I like how it's presented or not since I'm having a hard time enjoying the sound separation and details as much as I did on the Pro80s. Bass is lacking energy. Some "Marching Band" drums I listened to felt so weak, muddy and emotion-less that the image I got from it was that the drums skins weren't even tight enough. Nevertheless, the dry and airy touch to them make them preferable for Jazz and Classical, but not very convincing for anything else. These are also less forgiving in terms of poor quality audio formats and/or bad recording. Sometimes the highs are harsh but I believe the HM5 velour pads smoothen them out quite a bit. I still prefer the feel and comfort of the Pro80s with pleather pads. Clamping force is also a bit looser on the 2050s.

I'm also still trying to understand if genres like Ambient and Post-Rock are better on one, the other, or even both!

Please note that I'm using the HiFiMeDIY Sabre DAC 2 that also has an integrated amp. I hope I don't annoy you with these constant updates and thoughts while I give the cans some head time.

good stuff man. keep the impressiins coming

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #3,412 of 4,701
I am a student and have limited headphone inventory while living under my budget. So far i own Portapro, ksc75, Grado sr60, Shure srh440, Akg240, Koss dj100, Ath M40x, Gemini hrs1000, Ath 500mk2, Ath ws55, Ath ws99 going back soon. Gemini djx-07.
I curse myself for buying all these sets of headphones which have to collect dust since i own Gemini djx-07. It is such a shame that big companies like Audio-Technica, Koss, Sennheiser,Grado, Beyerdynamic have been failed to produce a great budget headphone for poor student like me. They have good sets of headphones but the price is always too high and set like ATH-WS99 which is only available from Japan is without Audio-Technica warranty which means once you break it dump it in trash or be ready to spend money on repair which is really expensive in USA.While on the other hand ATH700mk2 which is $139 , ATH500mk2 $80 have been failed.

The refinement is as good as WS-99. Narrow soundstage, Mids are very natural, high frequencies are there where they have to be and Bass is more than ath50x and reaches the level of WS-99. overall a warm sounding headphone but if you want full potential out of this headphone, i strongly recommend Sansa Clip for good sound. Note: I am using M50 pads rite now they sound warm but with Clip rockbox they will be fine. 

Grado are good but they leak sound as hell and overprice. As i am A/B-ing between the headphones that i have. the Koss dj100 feels tiny sound yet the construction is very solid. Ws-99 has a bit more refined sound with a bit wider sound stage and bit more sub-bass. Vocals i like better on Gemini-07. they are not recessed by any mean. Alot better than athm40x. I retired my portapros. they need to grow but i still preffer WS-55 over portapros. The Shure Srh-440 which i dont like compare to these headphones because to me these Gemini's sound better.
if i have to buy WS-99 ,before i click the purchase button i will stop myself and buy Gemini djx-07 which is coming in a cheap packing, average construction while possess a big sound with full ONE YEAR WARRANTY.
While i am typing i almost finished MODERN TALKING' READY FOR ROMANCE album and sound feels more stable now.
Gemini cable quality is very good.
they clamp tight on but lesser than ATH500mk2. for price there is no CON. there is no distortion and i listening it to a full volume with my Clip. From now on i will always buy low budget headphones because they offer more for the price than overprice crap.
I also own Gemini Hrs1000 to me that headphone is the most advanced version of ATH-m50 where vocals are not recessed and has better extension in treble and bass and sub-bass but they are not fun headphone yet they are very comfortable headphones and have solid build quality compare to DJX-07. I prefer DJX-07 more as fun sounding headphone can which is as good as expensive headphones.
a good headphone always tend to give you wow feeling as you put them on your head for the forst time. I was like wow as i put them on my head and played MODERN TALKING' BROTHER LOUIE.
Please do not use touch ipod or iphone if you guys want good sound. Clip is the best with rockbox and it does not need an amplifier. I also own ipod videos5.5 with rockbox and they sound inferior compare to my clip. Do not buy touch and i dont care which dac they have but they sound tiny and mix. Long live Clip and Sony walkman.
I have cambridge S30 speakers paired with YUANJING  TPA3116 red amplifier board which i bought for $11 on ebay and this setup sound fantastic with Sansa Clip lineout without any DAC.
please dont forget to buy M50 pads because they fit better on ear.
OMG Madonna's RAIN and these headphone paired with Clip. bass on 6 and treble on 8.
Its has been more than 2 hours i have these on and my head ears dont hurt.
In the end it is a great bargain just for $24.99 i paid. 

Jun 11, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #3,414 of 4,701
  Gemini Djx-07 a ws99 killer

Lol gemini making strides in headphones it seems.

Anyone try the the Tascam Th-02? Some say its better than the CAL. If they beat the HSR-1000, then they are at the surreal level of the KSC-75 in price-performance ratio.

Jun 11, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #3,415 of 4,701
you know what, i ordered tascam th2000 from BH newyork for 16.99 on sale and i think it is still on sale.
will be coming i think 3 days then i will post a comparison between gemini hrs1000, gemini djx07 and tascam th2000

Jun 11, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #3,417 of 4,701
Instead of buying dozens of low-fi headphones why not get 1 good mid-fi headphone? Though you do get diminishing returns as price goes up.

Jun 11, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #3,420 of 4,701
  Instead of buying dozens of low-fi headphones why not get 1 good mid-fi headphone? Though you do get diminishing returns as price goes up.

It can be important to buy lots of low-fi to figure out what you want in a mid-fi.  If someone says which is better, a Tascam Th-02, or an AKG Q701, I think most people will say the Q701.  But that doesn't mean they'll actually like the Q701.

Quote:

Anyone try the the Tascam Th-02? Some say its better than the CAL. If they beat the HSR-1000, then they are at the surreal level of the KSC-75 in price-performance ratio.

HSR-1000 is better.  As it should be since it costs more.  How much better?  Good question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back