The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Apr 24, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #3,139 of 4,701

Thinking about it now. In the price range you're looking at, you might be better off getting a FiiO E17k. It's just too good for that price.

yeah but i dont want anything that replies on battery. 

what about schiit magni?it's just 100$ and sounds amazing plus it looks great too

well the shiit fulla is somewhat suppose to be like having a shiit stack thats why i was aiming for that route.

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #3,140 of 4,701
schiit fulla is not in the same league as magni,but if you are using ath m50 and the likes then fulla would do just fine,another of my favourites is fiio e10k,smsl sapii headphone amplifier is also fantastic value for money

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #3,141 of 4,701
Hello, finally joined this forum after many years of stalking.

I'm interested in purchasing the Takstar pro 80 model but I had a question first.

I've recently started using the bus and subway every day (to my great dismay) and I was wondering if the takstar pro 80 would do a good job of isolating sounds caused by the constant buzzing or vibrating sounds cause by the subway.

I'm using relatively good in ear headphones, and while the sound is good, it does a crap job at isolating the buzzing noises (but it does do a good job of isolating normal, every day sounds).  I find I have to increase the volume quite a bit and don't want to damage my hearing any more than it already is.  I also don't want everyone to hear my music.  Would the pro 80 be good for this or would you recommend another model.  I'm looking at a sub 100$ headphone.

I was originally looking at the audio technica m50x when someone mentioned the pro 80.  I've heard the sound is comparable (but different) from the pro 80, at half the price, but I haven't seen anyone mention how well they isolate noises/sounds.

Thanks guys.

Apr 24, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #3,142 of 4,701

I've recently started using the bus and subway every day (to my great dismay) and I was wondering if the takstar pro 80 would do a good job of isolating sounds caused by the constant buzzing or vibrating sounds cause by the subway.

I think most any closed headphone with pleather pads would do a similar job to each other.  But, (along with thickness and density), I think the size of the earpads would be key.  My Pro 80s with stock pads isolate a bit, but the pads don't fully encircle the ear, and I don't consider the isolation all that great.  Something like fa-003 covers the entire ear and isolates quite a bit better.

Of course, if something like the Pro 80's stock pads don't isolate well enough for you, you could buy a pair of fa-003 pads or similar and put them on it.  A lot of people put those pads on anyway simply for comfort.  But it does add to the cost of the Pro 80s and may make other headphones become a similar price/value.  

Maybe check the JVC s400 and s500 threads for how well those portables isolate with HM5 pads on.  Those fold up, too.  Though not as well with big HM5 pads on.  I'm not sure if you're looking more for an actual portable or not.  S400/S500 are about half the size of Pro 80s.  On the other hand, if the headphone is just going to be tossed into a backpack or something, the Pro 80s are built stronger than the foldable JVCs.

edit: I forgot that putting HM5 pads on s400/s500 may not be as easy as it looks since they are so small.  So that would be another consideration.

Apr 24, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #3,143 of 4,701
Yea, the HM5 pads are huge. Should add additional isolation indeed.

I've heard the HD 380 block out a lot of sound but they are not nearly as good in the sound dept. as the Pro 80's....not even close.

I think they block out a lot.

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #3,144 of 4,701
  Hello, finally joined this forum after many years of stalking.

I'm interested in purchasing the Takstar pro 80 model but I had a question first.

I'm using relatively good in ear headphones, and while the sound is good, it does a crap job at isolating the buzzing noises (but it does do a good job of isolating normal, every day sounds).  I find I have to increase the volume quite a bit and don't want to damage my hearing any more than it already is.  I also don't want everyone to hear my music.  Would the pro 80 be good for this or would you recommend another model.  I'm looking at a sub 100$ headphone.

I was originally looking at the audio technica m50x when someone mentioned the pro 80.  I've heard the sound is comparable (but different) from the pro 80, at half the price, but I haven't seen anyone mention how well they isolate noises/sounds.

Thanks guys.

I've used the Pro 80s for commuting. They're probably the best for the job in terms of full sized headphones. But IMO IEMs are the best for the job, period.

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #3,146 of 4,701
Alright I understand. Would it be possible to get better isolation with IEM's but for under 100$ though?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Depends on the sound signature you're looking for, my favourite is the Havi B3 Pro 1 which has excellent isolation. But they're a flat/neutral signature (not fun or V-shaped) and they need a bit of juice to drive, most phones won't be able to drive them fully. 

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #3,149 of 4,701
  Alright last question before I splurge on the pro80.  I mostly listen to music on my iphone5.

Is the iphone good enough to power the pro80 or do I need an amp?

Thanks guys.

Yes it's powerful enough to drive to listening volume. But it is noticeably better when driven with a better amp. So it will be something you might want to look into in the future.

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #3,150 of 4,701
  Alright last question before I splurge on the pro80.  I mostly listen to music on my iphone5.

Is the iphone good enough to power the pro80 or do I need an amp?

Thanks guys.

I use it with an external amp/dac at home, and it sounds very good. Tried it with my Xiaomi Mi4 phone, and it still sounds awesome. Not as good as with a dedicated amp/dac, but still superb sound and it drives it loud enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back