The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Jan 21, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #2,821 of 4,701
So you like takstar over dt880?scary since beyers go for 250$ and above i got my takstar for 40$,that is what i call good value for money.If you want even better sound use the paramatric equalizer to reduce a particular frequency sound that cause noise.

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #2,824 of 4,701
On mp3store forum (polish site, google translate it) there are some reviews of them.

I (still) have them, but I have not used them much (but for instance I've used a lot Pro80 and HD6000, even HD5500 seems to be better),
As for flaws, I would say:
- The bass does not go down (there is not much of subass), they are a little bit mid-bass oriented (but I would not call them muddy)
- The highs are present, but they also don't extend that much, and are a little bit ragged (not smooth), but they are not sharped compared to Hi2050 or even Pro80
- The soundstage is wide, the instruments on the left/right side seemed to be big (too big), but overall placement and shape is not that good (still there is that wow factor)
- For me there is a little problem with the mids (probably related to the 3 things above, that is why I did not use them).

Those are kind of reverse of Pro80, they would be good for softer music, or instrumental/classical if you are willing to sacrifice the sharpness of sound,
saying it otherwise they are good if you want to relax to music.
Generally the balance is ok, and they provide big sound.
I would add that as I mentioned mainly 'flaws' my opinion will seem more negative that it is needed to be (but on that forum I mentioned above, there are a lot of people who like them much, espacially as go away cans, like in oposotion to more analitycal sound)

I will add a comparision to 701:
Bass = more midbass, and less subass than 701, 701 is more tight, and for me 701 have a hint of warmth (if you ignore boosted treble), but 671 are warm (even muddy in comparison)
Mids = 701 have a boost which makes female vocals sound good, on 671 the mids are just ok
Highs = 701 are brighter and smoother, where as on 671 I felt that it is a mixed bag
The diffrence is in soundstage, they are both wide, but AKG has small instrument sizes with kind of too much separation but with some good positioning; on 671 the instruments tend to be large, and the music picture is more messed up

Thank you for both your posts!

Jan 26, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #2,825 of 4,701
One thing i forgot to mention about these headphones: If you have issues with a "loose" headband, that is easily remedied by just wrapping a piece of electrical tape around the clip inside the headband mechanism. Makes the adjustment stiffer, and "clickier" as well.

Jan 26, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #2,826 of 4,701
After some research on this wonderful site I'm looking at worthwhile ways to make the most of my HI 2050s. I ordered the hm5 pads yesterday but I am thinking about a headphone amp..would this be worth the investment? Currently using my PCs onboard sound which is a Realtek HD chip. It's not bad but need to wind up the volume to get things moving with the takastars.

Also the mods mentioned Audiotechnica AD2000 driver replacements. Where can I get these from? I looked through the Australian Audiotechnica site and they don't offer them, also couldn't find them in the European online shop. Really any worthwhile driver replacement I would consider..as long as I can get the parts delivered!

parts@atus.com

tell them what you want and they'll quote you a price
don't know if its a US only thing  but i'm sure they'll
point you in the right direction

keep in mind any 53mm diver will work
i used ad700 drivers they were $25 for the pair
and sound pretty good much better than stock

good luck

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #2,832 of 4,701
Changing the drivers is pretty cut and dry, but tuning the headphones themselves for the drivers can be pretty involved.

Thanks Casper, i had no idea the drivers needed tuning, i would have no idea how to do that.

Anyone know of any good, low cost noise cancelling headphones?

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #2,833 of 4,701
Changing the drivers is pretty cut and dry, but tuning the headphones themselves for the drivers can be pretty involved.

you are correct mr casper i overlooked this detail
we sometimes take these things for granted 
mine required a good amount of stuffing to sound right

do i need a degree in order to do that lol how does one learn

heck no
its like: how do i get to carnegie hall ?  practice
buy something cheap like takstars and start workin on them
then its fostex t50rp's now its grados but i digress

also helps to have guys like casper and foley to help you out

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #2,835 of 4,701
Oh no, it doesn't fit 
frown.gif