The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Jan 13, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #2,781 of 4,701
Thought I would give a heads up to anyone buying the HM5 pads from Amazon.  I originally bought a dark red pair that were great until I screwed them up trying to make them fit better, now they are sort of loose.  I decided to buy a pair of the black ones and after I put them something on, something felt different, more pressure on my head.  After comparing them side by side I noticed the dark red ones were bigger, thicker, and had a smaller inner diameter.  It seems as if the black pads sold on Amazon are NOT the thick versions even though they are advertised the same as the dark red versions.  I ended up sending the black pads back sense while they are okay, they are not near as good as the dark red ones.  I guess I'll just have to deal with the red ones being a tad loose as they feel great.

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #2,782 of 4,701
  Thought I would give a heads up to anyone buying the HM5 pads from Amazon.  I originally bought a dark red pair that were great until I screwed them up trying to make them fit better, now they are sort of loose.  I decided to buy a pair of the black ones and after I put them something on, something felt different, more pressure on my head.  After comparing them side by side I noticed the dark red ones were bigger, thicker, and had a smaller inner diameter.  It seems as if the black pads sold on Amazon are NOT the thick versions even though they are advertised the same as the dark red versions.  I ended up sending the black pads back sense while they are okay, they are not near as good as the dark red ones.  I guess I'll just have to deal with the red ones being a tad loose as they feel great.

I know on the pleather they did a revision.

These are thick pads

Older thinner pads.

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #2,783 of 4,701

I know on the pleather they did a revision.

These are thick pads

Older thinner pads.

The ones I got definitely resembled those thinner pads.  The big complaint I had with them is that the part that touches your face is not a "puffy" and the seams from the sides end up pressing against your face leaving indentations.  Does anyone else have problems with the HM5 pads leaving indentations on your face after wearing them for awhile?  Didn't have that issue with the dark red ones.

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #2,784 of 4,701
There does seem to be 2 versions of pads. My guess is you got the extra thick version which are bigger and in theory should put more pressure on your face. This would cause the pads to roll a little and expose the seems to your face. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #2,785 of 4,701
In case anyone wanted to see, here is a comparison of the black pads I received vs the dark red pads I had.  Before I return these back to Amazon, I am going to contact MP4Nation and see what they say.

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #2,786 of 4,701
  In case anyone wanted to see, here is a comparison of the black pads I received vs the dark red pads I had.  Before I return these back to Amazon, I am going to contact MP4Nation and see what they say.

Do you have to pay for return shipping or does Amazon give a 100% refund?

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #2,788 of 4,701
Any of you guys tried jvc ha-rx900? I've owned Takstar 2050 for a long time. Pretty much after the first post in this thread I got my pair. So I have plenty of experience with it. Later I got pro80. Both are amazing headphones, I prefer pro80 over HM5 and DT770 just to mention a few. I have previously owned rx-700 but I thought it was easily outclassed by hm5 and pro80. Not so sure about rx900...The general balance is spot on. Midrange could use more clarity(but in my books pretty much anything under 500usd does). Highs have texture way superior to pro80...I also find rx900 more balanced compared to pro80. Highs give more room to details...not just in highs but upper mids also. We all know pro80 can be a bit splashy.  Rx900 really has awesomely detailed sound. Not to  mention the soundstage....I think here angled drivers of rx900 come into play. Imaging on rx900 is awesome. Pro80 with hm5 pads has been my reference closed cans for a long time but for a first time since ever, they have a real competition with this old fotm :) Take all this with a grain of salt. It might be just a new toy syndrome. But since I got pro80 I have tried several cheap headphones and all off the competition could be easily dismissed. Pro80's are so awesome. For the first time I think with jvc we have something worth of comparison. I didn't post this here to dismis Takstar offerings but because I find 2050/pro80 to be best in their price range. So I thought this is a proper place to mention that there might be something even better than takstar. Is it better? I don't know...time will tell but with initial listen we finally have a challenger. Who knew it had been around since 2007/2008 :)

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #2,789 of 4,701
Hi Roderick, interesting comparisons.

Everyone else hello too, first post here, thanks to anyone that has helped via PM's.
I'm about to order the pro80 as my closed back, walking, travelling HP. I read most of this thread a week ago, but been caught up in buying some open AKG's.

Will the Pro80's run well from a mobile phone?
How's the sound insulation of the stock pads vs HM5 pads.
Lastly anyone has done a comparison between thePro80 & Sony MDR7506/Donscorpio Dolphin? (they are both twice the price, just curious)

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #2,790 of 4,701
Hi benjitb!

Pro80's sound fine out of a mobile phone, but those scale up when properly amped. It is not ideal for portable use but volume is sufficient, at least to me. HM5 pads improve isolation because of better seal.

I have not heard the sony's or dolphins. You could ask people in this http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs thread. There are atleast few people who have experience with both the takstars and dolphins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back