The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Nov 6, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #2,507 of 4,701

Are you still diggin the mod Toothless? I'm probably gonna do the same to mine here soon when I add a 3.5mm jack. How tough is it to reverse the mod if I'm not into it?

Like MrEleventy said, it's fairly easy to put the pads in or out. Have a look here, the white stuff are the pads I'm talking about. There is a bit of glue that stick the smaller pad to the housing, but it's not strong so there would be no problem. 
I also see that somebody have tried this mod as well, but didn't feel satisfied with it. I guess it's up to personal preference.

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #2,509 of 4,701
I already have the takstar pro 80, i wonder if the grado sr80i is better for acoustic music and vocals.

My sr125i encounters more sibilance than my HI 2050 when I'm listening to vocals. Plus, the flat pad of Grado doesn't quite give a soundstage as wide as the fullsize design of Pro80/HI 2050 is able of. On the other hand, I feel that the Grados can deliver a more solid acoustic instrument sounding than the Takstars. That said, I don't own any dac or amp so I'm pretty sure that the Takstar still holds off much of their full potential from me. My usage of headphones would be like this: HI 2050 for classical/vocal/gentle sounding stuff; Sr125i for rock/metal. Hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #2,510 of 4,701
My sr125i encounters more sibilance than my HI 2050 when I'm listening to vocals. Plus, the flat pad of Grado doesn't quite give a soundstage as wide as the fullsize design of Pro80/HI 2050 is able of. On the other hand, I feel that the Grados can deliver a more solid acoustic instrument sounding than the Takstars. That said, I don't own any dac or amp so I'm pretty sure that the Takstar still holds off much of their full potential from me. My usage of headphones would be like this: HI 2050 for classical/vocal/gentle sounding stuff; Sr125i for rock/metal. Hope that helps:)  

So you prefer the takstar for vocals? I thought, based from what i read, the grado will be clearer in the mids. And more forward. Which i thought is better. Can you elaborate on that for my peace of mind so i can leave the grados alone. :)

Edit: im planning to get an l cush to help the soundstage even just for a bit

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #2,511 of 4,701
So you prefer the takstar for vocals? I thought, based from what i read, the grado will be clearer in the mids. And more forward. Which i thought is better. Can you elaborate on that for my peace of mind so i can leave the grados alone. :)

I will be strictly speaking about the Takstar HI 2050 and Grado Sr125i here, since they are the only pairs I own from these brands. Also, I'm not an audiophile/expert by any mean, therefore you should take my opinion with a grain of salt. Grado indeed has a more pronounced mid and treble than the Takstar, but also grainier and more colored. The Takstar, while (slightly, just slightly) weaker/less forward mid than Grado, cleverly makes up for that shortcoming by displaying an airier, more spacious and more natural kind of sound, which is what I'm after.
Like I said, my experience is tiny, so pleade don't take my words so serious. Hope someone can input more valuable insights to help you clear out the confusion. It would be ideal if you can try the Grado and find out what sounds better to you.
biggrin.gif

Edit to address your edit LOL: I have tried the L-cush, it didn't bring any noticeable change of soundstage width to my ears; it did however increase mid and treble sharpness.

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #2,512 of 4,701
I will be strictly speaking about the Takstar HI 2050 and Grado Sr125i here, since they are the only pairs I own from these brands. Also, I'm not an audiophile/expert by any mean, therefore you should take my opinion with a grain of salt. Grado indeed has a more pronounced mid and treble than the Takstar, but also grainier and more colored. The Takstar, while (slightly, just slightly) weaker/less forward mid than Grado, cleverly makes up for that shortcoming by displaying an airier, more spacious and more natural kind of sound, which is what I'm after.
Like I said, my experience is tiny, so pleade don't take my words so serious. Hope someone can input more valuable insights to help you clear out the confusion. It would be ideal if you can try the Grado and find out what sounds better to you.:D  
Edit to address your edit LOL: I have tried the L-cush, it didn't bring any noticeable change of soundstage width to my ears; it did however increase mid and treble sharpness.

I think that's enough for delaying me from getting a grado sr80 :)

But yeah, other opinions are welcome :)

Nov 9, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #2,513 of 4,701

Edit: im planning to get an l cush to help the soundstage even just for a bit

.....Takstar TS-600 (silver), or TS-610 (black) for vocals. They sound great for vocals from my experience with them.

Nov 9, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #2,514 of 4,701

Just talking from experience with the Takstar headphones.....if you like the Takstar Hl 2050, you'll love the Takstar TS-662. They're just that good with precise balance on both ends.

.....and they also come with the velour pads.

Nov 9, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #2,515 of 4,701
Just talking from experience with the Takstar headphones.....if you like the Takstar Hl 2050, you'll love the Takstar TS-662. They're just that good with precise balance on both ends.

Do you actually own the TS-662? The reason I'm asking is because it's one of the worst headphones I've ever heard and I really regret getting them. Sometimes when one audition stuff in stores it's hard to make the correct judgement because of noise, equipment etc. Has happened to me several times that something I enjoy in the store doesn't sound good enough when I get home and get some time with it.

I wouldn't recommend the TS-662 to anyone......

Nov 9, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #2,516 of 4,701

TS-662 sound good only if you choose to mod them. They are designed around a smaller (though Takstar website states that it's exactly the same driver) version of the same driver that's in the HI2050 and the PRO 80 but lack any acoustic treatment to the housing. Out of the box the bass sounds loose and the sound stage is unproportionally deep, which makes everything sound distant.

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #2,517 of 4,701
Do you actually own the TS-662? The reason I'm asking is because it's one of the worst headphones I've ever heard and I really regret getting them. Sometimes when one audition stuff in stores it's hard to make the correct judgement because of noise, equipment etc. Has happened to me several times that something I enjoy in the store doesn't sound good enough when I get home and get some time with it.

I wouldn't recommend the TS-662 to anyone......

It was at a Takstar headphone shop.....I tried them with different amps and digital players and sounded really good to me, pretty balanced I say. I felt that the bass on the HI 2050 was overwhelming and dominating at times. Though both sounded clear and comfortable, that was my take several times audition them their, hours at a time.

What didn't you like about the TS-662? I'm just curious how did it sound for you?

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #2,518 of 4,701
It was at a Takstar headphone shop.....I tried them with different amps and digital players and sounded really good to me, pretty balanced I say. I felt that the bass on the HI 2050 was overwhelming and dominating at times. Though both sounded clear and comfortable, that was my take several times audition them their, hours at a time.

What didn't you like about the TS-662? I'm just curious how did it sound for you?

I hear them exactly the same way as @Hal Rockwell describes them in the post above yours. If I should sum them up in one word it'll be hollow, didn't even think that was possible in an open headphone....

I had great hopes for these but now they live their life in a plastic box :wink:

I'm planning to use the shell to transplant some other drivers to it if they fit though.

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #2,519 of 4,701
I hear them exactly the same way as @Hal Rockwell describes them in the post above yours. If I should sum them up in one word it'll be hollow, didn't even think that was possible in an open headphone....

I had great hopes for these but now they live their life in a plastic box
wink.gif

I'm planning to use the shell to transplant some other drivers to it if they fit though.

Let us know the outcome once you change the drivers. The headphone itself has a pretty good look to them. Good luck with your project.
smile_phones.gif

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #2,520 of 4,701
Let us know the outcome once you change the drivers. The headphone itself has a pretty good look to them. Good luck with your project. :smile_phones:

Thank you! Yes they look good and they also fit me very well. I'll try to put the drivers from my broken Pro80's, my Somic efi82mt or even the ad700 in there when I get the time :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back