The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Mar 13, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #1,652 of 4,701
For a closed alternative you can check out Don Scorpio Dolphin's. They've got a smaller soundstage but better clarity and bass depth. They are a very entertaining set of cans.

Mar 13, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #1,653 of 4,701
The days I spent with these headphones actually got me more interested in trying a proper Beyerdynamic.
The 2050 are good value cans and offer excellent comfort for such a low price, but I don't find the sound very convincing.
Amongst other 'el cheapos' I prefer more what a Superlux 668B or a Somic MH463 delivers. 

Amongst Beyerdynamics I'm most attracted to the DT770 anniversary edition.
Price, sound characteristics and the fact it's a limited run (possible to increase in value over the years) are all very inviting.

Mar 13, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #1,654 of 4,701
For a closed alternative you can check out Don Scorpio Dolphin's. They've got a smaller soundstage but better clarity and bass depth. They are a very entertaining set of cans.

thanks. this thread is about the takstar pro80 being a great bang for the buck and i thought you suggested a headphone that's much pricier. but a closed headphone that maybe better than takstar pro80 for just a little bit more money. hmm. i'll check it. and of course, it's from another chinese company. :)

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #1,655 of 4,701
thanks. this thread is about the takstar pro80 being a great bang for the buck and i thought you suggested a headphone that's much pricier. but a closed headphone that maybe better than takstar pro80 for just a little bit more money. hmm. i'll check it. and of course, it's from another chinese company. :)

Search this thread for more info on them:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs/1935#post_10357239

You should be able to find them for $99 shipped. And believe me, they're great bang for the buck.

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #1,656 of 4,701
  Burn in, good sound card and good quality records - with all of that 2050's will be useful phones. Not for all genres, but nevertheless they're quite good for its price.

I really only use them for games + voip. Light music listening but i have a speaker set up for actual music. As long as they survive on my head for 12 hours like my AD700's they will be fine.

That being said hasn't stopped me from getting a good amp and source. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #1,657 of 4,701
  I really only use them for games + voip. Light music listening but i have a speaker set up for actual music. As long as they survive on my head for 12 hours like my AD700's they will be fine.

That being said hasn't stopped me from getting a good amp and source. 

As for me - 2050 are the most comfortable headphones in Takstar line-up. Using them all day long, and have no issues with discomfort. At first few days of use they were little tight for my head, but now they sit just fine.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #1,659 of 4,701
Depth and layering is very good. Separation is also good but I think soudstage is an important part of separation. In total I think that they're clearly superior to the Pro80's but as always it comes down to personal preference. If soundstage is one of your top priorities the Pro80 is better. If you like more bass (good bass!), better clarity and better layering than the Dolphin's is the better choice. The pads on the Dolphin's is also a bit smaller so even though they're very comfortable to me they might not be the best choice for people with big ears. At these price points it'll always be tradeoffs. The Dolphin's are pretty thoroughly described from multiple persons in the thread linked above.

Edit: I just want to make clear that I really like the Pro80's so I'm not trying to bash them :wink:

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #1,660 of 4,701
The days I spent with these headphones actually got me more interested in trying a proper Beyerdynamic.
The 2050 are good value cans and offer excellent comfort for such a low price, but I don't find the sound very convincing.
Amongst other 'el cheapos' I prefer more what a Superlux 668B or a Somic MH463 delivers. 

Amongst Beyerdynamics I'm most attracted to the DT770 anniversary edition.
Price, sound characteristics and the fact it's a limited run (possible to increase in value over the years) are all very inviting.
Initially, I was weary of the Beyer DT house sound (Bright w/ recessed mids) but when I read a review about the 880s on David Mahler's Battle of the Flagships, I wanted to try them out. I hunted for something similar in sound but inexpensive, which lead me to the 2050s. After a week, I hunted down a set of 880s, and 990 a week after that. Then the 770/80 Pros within the month. lol :D Found the 990s too bright and sibilant so I sold those off and kept the other 2. Just got a set of 770/250 Prems. Probably going to sell the 770/80 Pros soon once the mods are complete. Installed a 4-pin mini-xlr jack and rewired the insides so you can go from single-end to balanced just by swapping cables.

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #1,661 of 4,701
I'm planning to buy takstar pro-80 headphones and i was wandering if they are good for:

1. music like:

- Soft electronics like Vangelis
- Trance like Juno Reactor, Delirium, Infected Mushroom
- Semi classical/symphonic music like Phillip Glass
- New age/world etc. like enya, enigma
- a little bit of everything else

-It's important that they are closed type with good isolation.
-They will be connected to pc to Realtek ALC889 
-Realistic sound with a bit more pronounced bass for electronics and movies, but not too much to overpower all other frequencies.

Is pro80 good choice for this? They are 75$ atm.

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #1,662 of 4,701
I'm planning to buy takstar pro-80 headphones and i was wandering if they are good for:

1. music like:

- Soft electronics like Vangelis
- Trance like Juno Reactor, Delirium, Infected Mushroom
- Semi classical/symphonic music like Phillip Glass
- New age/world etc. like enya, enigma
- a little bit of everything else

-It's important that they are closed type with good isolation.
-They will be connected to pc to [COLOR=3D3D3D]Realtek ALC889 . [/COLOR]
[COLOR=3D3D3D]-Realistic sound with a bit more pronounced bass for electronics and movies, but not too much to overpower all other frequencies.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=3D3D3D]Is pro80 good choice for this? They are 75$ atm.[/COLOR]
Yes they're very good for those genres. Wacking on some HM5 pads improved isolation and comfort also

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #1,663 of 4,701

Some in this thread say that 2050 and pro80 shares drivers, the houses are very alike, so what you are doing is transforming  pro 80 into 2050, or am I totally wrong here ???

Although that is not what was done, I will claim that if you seal the round vent hole in a pair of HI 2050 you will essentially have a pair of Pro 80 with velour pads. If the seal is done properly I do not see how the mesh vs solid cup should make a difference. The internal felt padding, while not completely identical to the Pro 80, should not make a huge difference in the percieved sound, but who am I to say, I removed the felt entirely when I sprayed the inside with stone chip spray and I haven't looked back.

On the other hand, a fellow member on the danish headphone forum auditioned my modded Pro 80's against un-modded one's of his own (well, they had a re-cable, but that shouldn't account for much difference). He concluded that the difference between the modded and un-modded were very subtle and doubted if he would be able to tell them apart in a "blind test".

For myself, for some reason the un-modded Pro 80 just ended up on a shelf (i preferred the sound of my JVC HA-RX900). After the mod the HA-RX900 went on the shelf and the Pro 80 started getting play time, but that COULD be because of the amount of labour put into the mods of these phones. Another reason could be getting rid of that silly curly stock cable (so maybe the Pro 80's WERE better all along, but the cable pulling my head annoyed me enough to discard them). Another possibility, of course, was that I genuinely preferred the sound of the modded pair of Pro 80 (I have not made a "blind test", but maybe I should see if I could convince myself to spend the time doing just that).

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #1,664 of 4,701
I bought a pair of Pro80 as gift for my wife in bundle with the X3,  I'm surprised how they sound good. Then I bought a pair of 2050 fo me, really confortable headphones but they can't be compared. I heard they share drivers but honestly I prefer Pro80 as sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back