The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Dec 26, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #1,231 of 4,701
After 7 days of burn-in the Pro80's are the best hp in my collection.

They do not have the clean, clear, crisp highs and upper midrange of the KSC-75, but those clip-ons lack bass, impact and heft compared to any on or over-ear can. All the SL cans are very good, but they lack the harmonic richness and bass and midrange detail of the Pro80. 662b and 668b best of that lot. Soundstage of all the SL is usually wider than the Pro80, but that is on every recording. Pro80 more 'audiophile' in that if it sounds good, you hear it.

Detail is excellent, hearing things that other hps I own do not reveal. Clear difference between SS and Valve amps, clear tube bloom audible from my MS-10D.

Bass is clean and tight, sub bass is there, but this is not a basshead can.

If the recording has a narrow sound-stage, that's what you get. If it has a broad sound-stage, you hear that as well.

Clamp is weary-ing after 2 hours, usage may reduce this. Pads are very comfortable.

A very good hp in the $80-$100 price range.

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #1,233 of 4,701

They do not have the clean, clear, crisp highs and upper midrange of the KSC-75, but those clip-ons lack bass, impact and heft compared to any on or over-ear can. All the SL cans are very good, but they lack the harmonic richness and bass and midrange detail of the Pro80. 662b and 668b best of that lot. Soundstage of all the SL is usually wider than the Pro80, but that is on every recording. Pro80 more 'audiophile' in that if it sounds good, you hear it.

Detail is excellent, hearing things that other hps I own do not reveal. Clear difference between SS and Valve amps, clear tube bloom audible from my MS-10D.

If the recording has a narrow sound-stage, that's what you get. If it has a broad sound-stage, you hear that as well.

Clamp is weary-ing after 2 hours, usage may reduce this. Pads are very comfortable.

Agree 100%. The HSR-1000 is a rebrand of it, and it can be had for $50 as well. Excellent headphone.

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #1,234 of 4,701

For the KSC-75s, Try this, with them on, press them tighter to your head with your index finger. You'll be surprised with how much bass they actually have. It just gets lost in the lack of seal. A headband can solve that problem.

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #1,236 of 4,701
Tried the Hi2050 I gave as a Xmas present.  It's pretty nice.  Comfort is excellent and the neutral to slightly bright signature is suited to my taste.  The soundstage isn't as big as I expected.  Do these scale with better amplification?  

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #1,239 of 4,701
Tried the Hi2050 I gave as a Xmas present.  It's pretty nice.  Comfort is excellent and the neutral to slightly bright signature is suited to my taste.  The soundstage isn't as big as I expected.  Do these scale with better amplification?  

Yes, but the best you can do is to use them with high quality recordings. Hi-2050 are not forgiving headphones and tend to sound a lot better when paired with uncompressed recordings.

Dec 26, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #1,240 of 4,701
Marone,

Can the ear pads be replaced with others? I mean to add to the comfort? For example, would a replacement Beyer 770 V Ear pad help with it?

Torro,

I'm wondering the same thing!
I can only speak for the Pro80/Hi2050; The earpads can be swapped out for the Shure 440/840 pleather or the Shure 940 velour pads. The Beyers kinda fit but a little big. If you're careful, they'll stay on but can get dislodged easily. (Beyer's cups are circular vs Oval cups on the Pro80/Hi2050).

Dec 26, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #1,241 of 4,701
I can only speak for the Pro80/Hi2050; The earpads can be swapped out for the Shure 440/840 pleather or the Shure 940 velour pads. The Beyers kinda fit but a little big. If you're careful, they'll stay on but can get dislodged easily. (Beyer's cups are circular vs Oval cups on the Pro80/Hi2050).

Best pads (comfort, sound, seal/isolation) I've used on them is the Brainwavz HM5 pads.

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #1,242 of 4,701
Best pads (comfort, sound, seal/isolation) I've used on them is the Brainwavz HM5 pads.

Which one? The Pleather or Velour

Oh! Fogot about the Oval cupers on the Pro 80. Sorry! Glad you brought up the pads, which would you recommend going for comfort?

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #1,244 of 4,701
Dec 26, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #1,245 of 4,701
As far as o know they're only available in pleather. That's the ones I mean anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, I appreciate it. The Shure 940 Pads are Velour. 
I prefer velours myself. Gotten used to them on all my Beyers.

How was the sound affected, in your opinion? On reviews on Amazon, found some that said that the sound suffered pretty badly. Just wondering, most likely going to get the Pro 80 / Gemini Headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back