The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Apr 26, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #4,246 of 4,701
with my limited experience.
there was a time when i owned 30 different headphones and after i broke my ipod video 5.5 video i purchased ipod touch 2Gen. all the headphones mentioned above sounded bad very thin and i mean it was just like if i touch was poppping sound out of a tin. i sold most of the headphones but later after buying ipod classic 5.5 video i found out that it is not just the headphones but it is also the mp3 player which you use to power your headphones. now i have few headphones and all of them sound fuller , wattery mids, higher end sound. i dont even use amp with any of the headphone that i own.
this is what i did. i sold my ipod touch and stoped using my iphone for music. went gamestop located near my home bought one ipod 5.5 for $49. the battery was weak so i had to buy a replacement from ebay for $9. then i installed rockbox in my ipod. here you go man go my route you dont even need an amp.
ipod classic 5.5 gen sounds the best with rockbox and you dont even need an amp.
SQ wise / sansa clip rockboxed sounded=ipod 5.5 video classic=sony walkman.

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #4,247 of 4,701
ya it does make difference in SQ but i would never go for it.
if i had to usa my cellphone to play music i would rather go for decent mp3 player.
stay away from apple latest ipods and iphones because they carry different DAC and they sound rubbish.
try to buy an ipod with WOLFSON DAC if yo want to run your headphones to maximum potential.
a sansa clip rockboxed and sony z series walman is an nice alternative to ipod rockboxed with an amp.

Apr 26, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #4,249 of 4,701
Hey guys i'm hopefully going on a trip later this year i may be going to Japan/idk/maybe china.?
would you guys like me to take some photo's of cool tech stores i find there or a vlog/blog? i would love to contribute here maybe i could take pics of cool headphones?! idk post opinions...

Apr 26, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #4,250 of 4,701
  Hey guys i'm hopefully going on a trip later this year i may be going to Japan/idk/maybe china.?
would you guys like me to take some photo's of cool tech stores i find there or a vlog/blog? i would love to contribute here maybe i could take pics of cool headphones?! idk post opinions...

Hey, if you come to Beijing, China? "PM" me! I'll take you around to the Tech stores here.
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #4,251 of 4,701

Hey, if you come to Beijing, China? "PM" me! I'll take you around to the Tech stores here.
wink.gif

If I'm ever going to China, I really expect the full tour
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #4,253 of 4,701
That would be nice i'm not sure if i will go since its my Dad's decision but he will take input from me but if i go i would like to know where to go that would be cool! Plus i know china has the best value for stuff if i come i will be coming back with headphones LOL!

May 2, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #4,254 of 4,701

..but it does give it some extra oomph, IMO. :)

It's also about clarity. Lower rumble in the bass, and clearer highs.

When people think about amps they see big $$$ but in reality you can get something that will beat any PC sound card or iphone for cheap.

For smooth and warm sound just get on ebay and get a Sabre dac. They are assembled in little black box and are called hifimedyi. About 50$

For super clarity and a bit more clear sound get the Fiio E10k (Olympus 2). Around 70$. But since you are paying so little for headphones, you can do it.

Not only I am talking from experience but also you can search and read dozens of reviews for both units and you will see general praise.

EDIT: I also own a Sansa Clip+ and yes the sound is great. But I work on the computer so it was more convenient for me to have an amp or music source connected to my laptop. 

May 2, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #4,255 of 4,701

It's also about clarity. Lower rumble in the bass, and clearer highs.

When people think about amps they see big $$$ but in reality you can get something that will beat any PC sound card or iphone for cheap.

For smooth and warm sound just get on ebay and get a Sabre dac. They are assembled in little black box and are called hifimedyi. About 50$

For super clarity and a bit more clear sound get the Fiio E10k (Olympus 2). Around 70$. But since you are paying so little for headphones, you can do it.

Not only I am talking from experience but also you can search and read dozens of reviews for both units and you will see general praise.

EDIT: I also own a Sansa Clip+ and yes the sound is great. But I work on the computer so it was more convenient for me to have an amp or music source connected to my laptop. 

I ordered a Zorloo Zuperdac, which I hope will arrive soon. I have an ELE EL-D01, which is pretty good, but I wanted something I can run out of my iPhone as well :)

May 3, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #4,256 of 4,701
  That would be nice i'm not sure if i will go since its my Dad's decision but he will take input from me but if i go i would like to know where to go that would be cool! Plus i know china has the best value for stuff if i come i will be coming back with headphones LOL!

I said the same thing!.....and I ended up working and living here with all my favorite headphones!  
dt880smile.png

May 6, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #4,257 of 4,701

I ordered a Zorloo Zuperdac, which I hope will arrive soon. I have an ELE EL-D01, which is pretty good, but I wanted something I can run out of my iPhone as well :)

Nice, I see that they have Sabre chips inside. 

The only downside to those tiny USB adapters (like the hifimediy also) is that they are only DAC, there is no Amp. That means not much power for some headphones.

For example, my 2013 MBA in-board sound card can push more power than my sabre dac...

May 6, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #4,258 of 4,701
Nice, I see that they have Sabre chips inside. 

The only downside to those tiny USB adapters (like the hifimediy also) is that they are only DAC, there is no Amp. That means not much power for some headphones.

For example, my 2013 MBA in-board sound card can push more power than my sabre dac...

I don't know what you mean but the HifiMe Sabre 9018 DAC has an included amp and it has no problem powering the Pro80's. Sounds pretty good as well imo.

May 7, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #4,259 of 4,701
I don't know what you mean but the HifiMe Sabre 9018 DAC has an included amp and it has no problem powering the Pro80's. Sounds pretty good as well imo.

If there is no separate power source (like a battery in the Fiio dacs) it just cannot go so loud. Or drive my AKG K612 pro (120 ohms).

Actually even my Superlux HD668b doesnt sound as loud as I sometimes want with my Sabre. 

May 7, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #4,260 of 4,701
This is the Takstar thread so I can't see how driving AKG's is relevant here.

Also saying that those dac's doesn't have an amp isn't correct. That the amp is not sufficient to drive every headphone is another thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back