The StratoKOSSter – A closed DIY headphone based on the Koss KSC-75 driver and Grado cup design
Oct 5, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #136 of 219
Where could I find the tutorial / instruction on the leather L-cush pads ... The link provided is not working, I think ...

How do I make the inner shell ... I have the driver and wood cup ... Just don't know how to make the inner shell to hold the driver in place ...

Much appreciated for any help and advice ...

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #137 of 219
Sorry, but the picture gallery describing how to 'leatherize' the L-cushs have been deleted from the server: Since I also do not have them on my system any more, I can't help you here. But you can try to get hold of some (p)leather pads that fit the Grado cups. I remember I went to audio shops with a cup and tried the pads from other headphones or headsets. 

As for the inner shells, it depends on what wood cups you have. If the inner diameter is like that of a standard Grado driver, the driver should fit nicely in this cup. At least that's what I always did. The foam around the driver is enough to give the Koss driver a nice fit.

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #138 of 219
  Sorry, but the picture gallery describing how to 'leatherize' the L-cushs have been deleted from the server: Since I also do not have them on my system any more, I can't help you here. But you can try to get hold of some (p)leather pads that fit the Grado cups. I remember I went to audio shops with a cup and tried the pads from other headphones or headsets. 

As for the inner shells, it depends on what wood cups you have. If the inner diameter is like that of a standard Grado driver, the driver should fit nicely in this cup. At least that's what I always did. The foam around the driver is enough to give the Koss driver a nice fit.

I picked up a pair of L-Cush to make them leatherized to try my hand at this porject, but I'm planning on sewing them together.  I could photo-document the process still if anyone is interested and take measurements.  I'm still planning it out myself so it may be a bit before I can get that pulled together.

Oct 28, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #140 of 219
I just got my first pair of ksc 75's this morning and I'm very curious about this thought I've been thinking about in my head. Has anyone tried to do a removable cable mod with these drivers/sr60. I've seen someone on youtube mod an sr60 to have a removable cable, but I don't know if it's a driver by driver basis that this is possible with. I have no soldering or electronics but I'm very much willing to learn because I like removable cables a lot.

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #142 of 219

Quote:
I just got my first pair of ksc 75's this morning and I'm very curious about this thought I've been thinking about in my head. Has anyone tried to do a removable cable mod with these drivers/sr60. I've seen someone on youtube mod an sr60 to have a removable cable, but I don't know if it's a driver by driver basis that this is possible with. I have no soldering or electronics but I'm very much willing to learn because I like removable cables a lot.

It's definitely possible with a stock KSC75, but you'd probably have to use a smaller IEM connector I imagine because of the tiny driver housing, and it would require a bit of fitment work.  In a Grado sized cup, it's not hard at all with a bit of basic soldering knowledge a few basic tools.  The solder joints on the drivers themselves are easily accessible on both, but you can even cut the stock cable about 2" - 4" from the driver, strip the wire and solder that to a TRS plug inside the cup.  

Here is one a friend of mine did recently: http://i.imgur.com/jIYuEpG.jpg  His grills are replaced so you can see some of the detail inside.  There are also tutorials around head-fi somewhere if you want to follow a step by step guide.  Basically pretty much every driver can be reterminated, but the KSC75 and Grados are a few that make it easy as there is no need to remove the driver from the housing.  Also, there are a ton of soldering tutorials on youtube that teach proper technique, so I'd recommend checking that out first and see if it's something you can do.

Happy modding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austonia 

Yes, interested & please do photo-document. I'm looking into how to improve comfort with better earpad solutions for Grados.

I'm not familiar with sewing (yet) but I imagine most of us here could do it with a little guidance and patterns to work from. 

TIA!

It may be a while since I've got some other projects going on, but I should have time in December to document the process - stay tuned!

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #143 of 219
Just finished my first proper StratoKOSSter. Used some Sportapros I had laying about and a pair of Plattans from eBay...

Wood cups were courtesy of uglyjoe0124...they are Cocobolo.

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #144 of 219
Just had a listen to my remaining pair. They still sound quite nice and balanced to my ears. Tried KSC35 and PortaPro drivers as well. IMHO, the KSC-75 drivers are still the best  for this mod.

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #145 of 219
Listening to Flying Lotus' "Until the Quiet Comes" album with mine right now while my kid watches television...not the best isolation ever, but isolation nonetheless, and they handle his rather aggressive mastering rather well. Liking what I hear :)

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #146 of 219
Listening to Flying Lotus' "Until the Quiet Comes" album with mine right now while my kid watches television...not the best isolation ever, but isolation nonetheless, and they handle his rather aggressive mastering rather well. Liking what I hear :)

Love this album :cool: 'Aggressive mastering' indeed, though ... Not a Grado album!!

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #147 of 219
Love this album
cool.gif
'Aggressive mastering' indeed, though ... Not a Grado album!!

I do love a lot of his stuff...the Captain Murphy work is a little off my radar though. Not much time for it. Sadly he very merrily maxes out everything when he does an album. You know a headphone is good when it can handle something by him...

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #148 of 219
fleasbaby

One of my favorite albums by FlyLo. Btw, have you tried listening to them outside with cars driving around? I'm gonna buy one of those parts-express headbands pretty soon and the clamping force of the headband would probably hug the ears better than those clips. I know it's different then your current setup but it should be somewhat similar I think.

Edit: I screwed up the quote but whatever lol

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #149 of 219
  Just had a listen to my remaining pair. They still sound quite nice and balanced to my ears. Tried KSC35 and PortaPro drivers as well. IMHO, the KSC-75 drivers are still the best  for this mod.

I agree. KSC75s just sound flat out more balanced than KSC35 drivers when modded properly. Though I would argue KSC35's bass control is a tad better than KSC75's drivers'.

Nov 24, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #150 of 219
How would they sound if you were to use an aluminum shell and vent chamber, leaving them open, and velours for the earpads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back