The StratoKOSSter – A closed DIY headphone based on the Koss KSC-75 driver and Grado cup design
Mar 19, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #167 of 219
They sound warmer with the HM5 pads. Need to do more testing to find a damping scheme that gets rid of the mid-bass hump. Leatherized L-cushs are still the best pad option.

EDIT: Just tried HifiMan velours on these. Very nice improvement over the HM5 pads. They need to be vented with the velours, though. Massive soundstage!

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #169 of 219
I'm closing up a set of Tone-wood cup to get ready for some KSC75 drivers I have coming. I really want to try some StratoKOSSter action.

I'm also working on some leather pads.

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #172 of 219
I just finished my first pair of StratoKOSSers. My first listen Acoustic guitars sounded a little tinny but after putting some felt peel and stick floor protectors in the cups the sound is very nice. I'm comparing them to a closed PX100ii I have. Need more time with these.

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #175 of 219

Put some ksc75 headphone inside these broken koss pro/4xl. I just took the pads and ear hooks off the ksc75 and guerrilla taped them in with some bits of cloth behind to hold them in. I didn't solder a bigger cable or nothing and they sound very nice so far. Those little speakers are powerful and I use my iPhone nearly all the way up. At that loudness the HPs move quite a bit under the force of the speakers and vibrate my hands when I hold them.
Not as good as my grado 225 but more comfortable. I wonder if they need to burn in because the koss are brand new?

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #177 of 219
These mods look amazing.  Love the look of the zebra wood.

Sorry if this question is misplaced, but I'm pretty new at this and I haven't had much luck elsewhere.

I recently purchased a pair of Grado RS2e's, and they sound great, but I'm having issues with the the L cushions.  I don't know if it's the shape of my head or what, but I'm finding them very uncomfortable, especially for longer listening sessions.  My first thought was to simply find some leather cushions to replace them, but it seems now that making them myself would be an easier (and cheaper) endeavour.  After reading this thread though, I'm worried that doing so is going to compromise the SQ of my RS2e's. Originally I had wanted to avoid modding them if I could, but now I'm not so sure I can enjoy an open back sound while still enjoying more comfortable cushions.  I've never done a proper mod before, so I'm nervous at the idea of closing them up, especially after dropping $500+ on the cans already.

You seem to know a lot about Grado mods, any advice for a simple(ish) solution?

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #178 of 219
  These mods look amazing.  Love the look of the zebra wood.

Sorry if this question is misplaced, but I'm pretty new at this and I haven't had much luck elsewhere.

I recently purchased a pair of Grado RS2e's, and they sound great, but I'm having issues with the the L cushions.  I don't know if it's the shape of my head or what, but I'm finding them very uncomfortable, especially for longer listening sessions.  My first thought was to simply find some leather cushions to replace them, but it seems now that making them myself would be an easier (and cheaper) endeavour.  After reading this thread though, I'm worried that doing so is going to compromise the SQ of my RS2e's. Originally I had wanted to avoid modding them if I could, but now I'm not so sure I can enjoy an open back sound while still enjoying more comfortable cushions.  I've never done a proper mod before, so I'm nervous at the idea of closing them up, especially after dropping $500+ on the cans already.

You seem to know a lot about Grado mods, any advice for a simple(ish) solution?

You won't be able to use (p)leather cushions of any sort on your RS2. Replacing foam by leather would elevate the bass, which is fatal because there is already a mid-bass bump with all Grados. If you used leather pads like with my StratoKOSSters, you would have to open up the Grados and dampen them behind the driver. You would end up with a completely diferent can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back