The Stax Thread III
Mar 6, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #23,359 of 25,504
I was actually thinking it would be smart to even have a thread dedicated to e-stat builders, both individuals and companies, as there's a bit of a grey area between the DIY and for-profit part of amp-building, and every builder has strengths and weaknesses to consider. For example, why is there no thread that compares photos of internals, which are available for all of the above (just spread out all over the internet)? For a builder, those photos are easy to find, but for a naive buyer like myself, it's easy to get swayed by misinformation mixed in with the tech-speak.

But I already spent all my thread karma when the T2 thread was spawned :)

Anyway, I agree with this post. I have only listened to Soren's out of the list above, but I've been in contact with all of the 'Provens', and no question they all know what they're doing more than I do...and, for the 'offenders', I think I've been in touch with all of them too, and they all came across as salesmen 1st, audio experts 2nd.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/under-the-hood-electrostatic-amps-photos.967229/

:)

Mar 6, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #23,360 of 25,504
No, but you were lucky nonetheless. I'd been chatting with a guy who had a Felista Megatron - just an unbelievable mess & headache.
Tran, Thuan or whatever his name is try to convince me his Megatron was higher level amp than the DIY T2.
Even when question further, I said the man himself Kevin Gilmore said otherwise. He still adamant his Megatron was top dog.

Mar 6, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #23,363 of 25,504
So what is an actually well built quality *affordable* Stax amp ?

get an older generation Stax amp, the ones with golden faceplate and selectable power voltage. From yahoo.jp auctions via Buyee.

Then do some light refreshment (clean up, new power capacitors, etc).

Stax amps can basically last forever.

Mar 7, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #23,364 of 25,504
Tran, Thuan or whatever his name is try to convince me his Megatron was higher level amp than the DIY T2.
Even when question further, I said the man himself Kevin Gilmore said otherwise. He still adamant his Megatron was top dog.
Tran also lurks on Reddit looking for naive new Stax buyers to scam. He nearly convinced me before I read all about him on HC. That's a bad dude.

Mar 7, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #23,365 of 25,504
So what is an actually well built quality *affordable* Stax amp ?
spritzer is always selling refurbished/upgraded Stax amps. I use an SRM-006t and it pairs exceptionally well with the SR-007.

Mar 7, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #23,367 of 25,504
Tran also lurks on Reddit looking for naive new Stax buyers to scam. He nearly convinced me before I read all about him on HC. That's a bad dude.
Sometime ago i bought from Tran boards for an amplifier. Never arrived in my house. I trusted this guy because was a good guy on head-case forum. to get my money back, I signed up on head-case and called him a thief in front of everyone. no one believed me, including Kevin Gilmore. today everyone finally opened their eyes

Mar 7, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #23,368 of 25,504

Users who are viewing this thread

Back