The Stax Thread III
Feb 23, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #23,326 of 25,569
I haven't heard the Carbn, but based on reviews it doesn't have the Audeze house sound I'm familiar with.
Yeah duh, Thinking about it more, I misspoke a little bit in my earlier post .... This rules out the source, (added this to the original post) so now it's down to the earspeakers or the energizer.
Did you also try the second socket on the energizer? Does the issue follow to it?
How about with volume pot movement? even without music playing, does the sound change or go away at anypoint when you turn the pot?
Do you have another set of earspeakers you can try? If you haven't already?
Also just for S&G, did you try discharging the 007s? Unplug them and then put your finger on the pins on the end of the cable to discharge the earspeakers. couldn't hurt to try it. :)
You could also, very lightly, with canned air, blow all the dust out of or off of the earspeakers, inside and out. Just don't go to aggressive as that might push the debris further into them. It's worth a try...
I tried swapping sockets and nothing changed, but I can certainly try varying volume and discharging. The noise starts when I turn on my PC and varies depending on its activity which makes me wonder about the cause.
I have the same noise coming from the left channel on the 95X, and when that started getting imbalance it squealed first. Still no channel imbalance on the SR 007 (thankfully) but the noise is distracting on quiet passages.

Feb 23, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #23,327 of 25,569
I haven't heard the Carbn, but based on reviews it doesn't have the Audeze house sound I'm familiar with.

I tried swapping sockets and nothing changed, but I can certainly try varying volume and discharging. The noise starts when I turn on my PC and varies depending on its activity which makes me wonder about the cause.
I have the same noise coming from the left channel on the 95X, and when that started getting imbalance it squealed first. Still no channel imbalance on the SR 007 (thankfully) but the noise is distracting on quiet passages.
hhmmm, it starts when you turn on the PC? and it is still only in the left channel? even if you swap inputs?
Well, I guess one other thing to try is a different source, just to make sure its not the PC causing weirdness.
Do you know anyone in the area that you could bring the earspeakers (or energizer) to that has an eStat set-up to do some testing? Or do you have another energizer to try?

Feb 23, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #23,328 of 25,569
I don't have another Stax compatible amp to try or know anybody local with an estat, but testing the 95X with the stock energizer could eliminate the Mjolnir amp. There's a hi fi shop a few hours away that sells the CRBN so they should have an estat amp to test.
I could try my work laptop and see if that changes anything.

Feb 23, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #23,330 of 25,569
Update:
The left channel in my SR-007 is much quieter than the right and the static noise gets louder based on the volume knob. Would blowing air across it fix it at this point? It's only been a few days and this issue has already killed my excitement for them.
Edit: It was the left balanced output on my DAC. Never thought an Audio GD product would fail me.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #23,331 of 25,569
Feb 25, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #23,332 of 25,569
Damn that KGGG looks sweet. The red pentode & transistor graphic is sexy; that should be on the front somehow.
EL34 is a fun tube; the really fun thing about them is it's hard to find a bad sounding one. Even the cheap stuff like Russian Mullards or Electro Harmonix 34 (dirt cheep) sounds pretty damn good. The EH and some of the other Russians are a tad bright up top but in a fun way. British Mullards are a bit warm for me, though. Amperex Holland brown bases are just about perfect (earlier metal bases supposed to be even better). East German / RFT also sounded really tasty for all of 30 seconds before one red-plated on me - but I'd definitely try them again. The Electro Harmonix looks like it's modeled on the RFTs by the way.

6CA7 fat bottles and KT77 are a common sub in speaker amps, but not exactly equivalent to EL34 because they're beam tetrodes and not a true pentodes - so check with your amp maker before making these subs.
On a lark I bought a quad set of Mesa Boogie EL34's on eBay NOS for $180, and they're really, REALLY good sounding! I think you're right - there is no wrong EL34 in this amp!

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #23,334 of 25,569
This got lost in the Can Jam thread, but Woo confirmed what the mafia had figured out. The 3ES is an ompamp amplifier with tube preamp. Has anyone seen the WA33's internals? I'd be curious about that one now.

"I did. He confirmed it’s not a 300B output. He said the 300B isn’t powerful enough so it needed a Mosfat [sic] for the output, but I’m not really sure what that means."

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...ruary-25-26-2023.967080/page-15#post-17424705

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #23,335 of 25,569
Someone should pin a thread about which estats amps are proven to be faulty/scams/horrendously over priced, because the number of offenders are pretty bad.

Proven:
Mjolnir Audio (Birgir)
Headamp (Justin)
Soren
GeorgeP
Eksonic (kerry)

Serious Offenders:
Jr Audio / Felitsa
Ray Samuels Audio
Woo

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #23,336 of 25,569
Add Felitsa to the list of offenders

Mar 6, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #23,338 of 25,569
Someone should pin a thread about which estats amps are proven to be faulty/scams/horrendously over priced, because the number of offenders are pretty bad.

Proven:
Mjolnir Audio (Birgir)
Headamp (Justin)
Soren
GeorgeP
Eksonic (kerry)

Serious Offenders:
Jr Audio / Felitsa
Ray Samuels Audio
Woo
I was actually thinking it would be smart to even have a thread dedicated to e-stat builders, both individuals and companies, as there's a bit of a grey area between the DIY and for-profit part of amp-building, and every builder has strengths and weaknesses to consider. For example, why is there no thread that compares photos of internals, which are available for all of the above (just spread out all over the internet)? For a builder, those photos are easy to find, but for a naive buyer like myself, it's easy to get swayed by misinformation mixed in with the tech-speak.

But I already spent all my thread karma when the T2 thread was spawned :)

Anyway, I agree with this post. I have only listened to Soren's out of the list above, but I've been in contact with all of the 'Provens', and no question they all know what they're doing more than I do...and, for the 'offenders', I think I've been in touch with all of them too, and they all came across as salesmen 1st, audio experts 2nd.

Mar 6, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #23,339 of 25,569
Yes. I believe they're the same brand as JR audio.
Felitsa/FLS is a guy called Tran based in Vietnam, JR is based in China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back