The Stax Thread III
Oct 21, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #16,503 of 25,541
None. Even though I obviously prefer them on my BHSE, I do regularly use my SRM-1 with my Staxens (009 are one of them), and as SRM-T1, SRM-1 doesn't have so much power :)
Check the resistor / CCS mod from @JimL11 out there for the SRM-T1, good improvement for few bucks.

Ali
I even enjoy my 009 out of the SRM-D10. Yes, you do get considerably better sound out of better amps but the 009 still sound good out of this portable solution as well.

Oct 21, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #16,504 of 25,541
I had to run my Yggy / Carbon setup out of AES to tame the highs with my L700. Through USB is wasn’t enjoyable but AES was a game changer.

Oct 21, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #16,505 of 25,541
You can buy the mjolnir kgsshv cheap version for $2300 now and that is based on the Sanyo parts. Another really good amp to consider for the SR009 is the Headamp Aristaues. A little less power than the KGSSHV, Carbon, and BHSE but with excellent tone that work great with the 009.

I didn't know Birgir's KGSSHV is based on Sanyo parts. That's a great idea Purk, and even less expensive than the KGST from him!

I will also check out the Aristaeus from Justin - but at $2300 the Mjolnir KGSSHV seems like a great idea if I am not able to demo these.

Oct 21, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #16,506 of 25,541
Those that have built both(BHSE and GG) say they sound mostly similar, after all the basic hybrid concept is the same in both amps even if the implementation is different.

You can have a BHSE with the carbon power supply(GR) the recent builds I have seen all opted for this configuration.

But why not go exotic and find someone to build the KG sandwich amp(tube input, tube output carbon) for you?!

Not a bad idea. If I could find a builder who could do it, I'd probably try and get someone to build me a T2 and be done with it. Also, I believe it's a bit warmer than a Carbon / BHSE - and I see that Lojay uses that combo with a Dave.

I live in the NYC area. Any recommendations on how to find a builder?

Oct 21, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #16,507 of 25,541
I think if you could lower the current on the KGSSHV Carbon down a bit, it would probably make the amp not sound as bright.

I explored this before, and as I have a Birgir build, I cant't reduce the current. I also am not necessarily sure I'd want to as it's the best amp I ever heard for the 007.

Oct 21, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #16,508 of 25,541
I had to run my Yggy / Carbon setup out of AES to tame the highs with my L700. Through USB is wasn’t enjoyable but AES was a game changer.

Yup, already using Yggy2 out of AES from Auralic Vega Femto (just got it upgraded.) I didn't even get the Gen 5 USB upgrade, because they didn't have it in stock, and I didn't want to wait. Figured I could install it later myself if I really wanted to/

Incidentally I am around hour 60 on my Yggy2 upgrade - and it sounds a lot better and is non-fatiguing.

That said, the top end still doesn't sound right. It sounds both dry and unextended. Does this continue to improve?

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #16,512 of 25,541
Go straight to the top and get the T2 from Kerry!

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #16,514 of 25,541
Heard an SR-007 on my system for the first time at the Houston meet on Saturday... pretty impressed. I've heard one before from a Yggy/Carbon CC combo and didn't care for it as much as an L500 on the same setup. Compared to my L300 Limited on the RME ADI-2/NAD C275BEE/Mjolnir SRD-7 setup, the SR-007 is very similar but definitely has more low end with better punch and better detail. Seems more full bodied sounding compared to the Mjolnir amp setups I've heard. Want to hear an SR-009S now with the RME ADI-2/NAD C275BEE stereo amp combo...

Oct 22, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #16,515 of 25,541
Yup, already using Yggy2 out of AES from Auralic Vega Femto (just got it upgraded.) I didn't even get the Gen 5 USB upgrade, because they didn't have it in stock, and I didn't want to wait. Figured I could install it later myself if I really wanted to/

Incidentally I am around hour 60 on my Yggy2 upgrade - and it sounds a lot better and is non-fatiguing.

That said, the top end still doesn't sound right. It sounds both dry and unextended. Does this continue to improve?

Hard to say as I never got that sense from the Yggy A2. For reference, have listened to the Yggy A2 on the Carbon and GG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back