The Stax Thread III
Jan 7, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #10,891 of 25,497
  Sorry for the annoying Stax-newb question here. Would 007 be in any way feasible for an office rig (as opposed to, say, an open can like Focal Utopia, etc.)? At first I was looking toward closed solutions like Sony Z1R, AT W3000ANV, etc., but I do prefer the open sound signature. By way of context, I share an office with 2 other dudes who are pretty mellow with whom I'm launching a start-up. I don't usually play music to ear-blistering volumes and my main fare is classical and jazz. Thanks for your input!

Sure, I don't see why not.  As long as you keep the volume moderate, I would think that it would be fine.  The SR 007 is an excellent choice for extended listening, as I find it quite a bit more comfortable than the Lambda style.  

I'm also partial to the Stax tube amps over the SS versions.  

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #10,892 of 25,497
8 hours working without music is likely far more productive and less damaging to one's health than 16 hours (really?) working with music, but each to his own I suppose! Good luck with your search anyway.

Thanks, yates. Yup, I'd much rather get more sleep but no rest for the weary when you're an executive for a start-up (which means you're also your own admin, plumber, etc. =). 

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #10,893 of 25,497
  Sure, I don't see why not.  As long as you keep the volume moderate, I would think that it would be fine.  The SR 007 is an excellent choice for extended listening, as I find it quite a bit more comfortable than the Lambda style.  

I'm also partial to the Stax tube amps over the SS versions.  

Good to know, thanks, redwingnine! 

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #10,895 of 25,497
  Good to know, thanks, redwingnine! 

I'd agree that it should be fine. I also use open headphones but keep the volume low, it allows me to hear my music and still hear some of the ambient noise (phone ringing, someone coming up behind me to ask a question, etc). If I really want to focus in crucnch time I put in my CIEM's and drown everyone out.

Not sure what the issue is with listening to music while working, I am a design engineer and I focus very well with light music in the background. The type of music does matter though. It's a matter of how well you can focus on your work. In my experience it's better to make a consistent back ground noise than try to deal with all the talking, walking, engines running, and grinding/banging from the fabrication area, etc. Dead silence in the office would be BORRING...and library-ish...like a study hall,,,no thanks... 
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #10,896 of 25,497
I'm with you, bearFNF. Much rather have Bill Evans' piano lines in my ears rather than office noise! Plus when I have the office to myself, having an hour break to crank up the music is just about the best luxury I can give to myself for the foreseeable future. Hell, why not.

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #10,899 of 25,497
I can hear my 007 in next room, medium/higher volume.
Another issue is listening during doing something (not relaxing). Time goes by quickly, and I have less joy from music; than if i was relaxing and eyes shut. Maybe it´s called listening hygiene

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #10,900 of 25,497
Would a T-Amp 20 watts or more be able to power SR-34's? I know T-Amps do not have high ohm.

Specifications
SR-30 Earspeaker
Type Electret/push-pull
Frequency Response 25-25kHz
Electrostatic Capacity 110pF
Impedance 150k Ohm
Sensitivity 95dB/100v
rmsMax Output 110dB
Weight 225g (170g w/out cord)

SRD-4 Adaptor
Continuous Max Input 5W
Momentary Max Input 30W
Frequency Response 10-30kHz (+-2.5dB)
Distortion 0.02% THD
Dimensions 90mm x 66mm x 194mm
Weight 860g

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #10,901 of 25,497
  Would a T-Amp 20 watts or more be able to power SR-34's? I know T-Amps do not have high ohm.

Specifications
SR-30 Earspeaker
Type Electret/push-pull
Frequency Response 25-25kHz
Electrostatic Capacity 110pF
Impedance 150k Ohm
Sensitivity 95dB/100v
rmsMax Output 110dB
Weight 225g (170g w/out cord)

SRD-4 Adaptor
Continuous Max Input 5W
Momentary Max Input 30W
Frequency Response 10-30kHz (+-2.5dB)
Distortion 0.02% THD
Dimensions 90mm x 66mm x 194mm
Weight 860g

Absolutely. The output power required for an electrostatic transformer box is very little. I've used similar tripath amps with many transformer boxes.

If i remember right the chip amp in the SRD-X is rated for something like 6 watts. It's literally a car radio chip amp. Probably why the SRD-X sounds so dry. 

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #10,902 of 25,497

Absolutely. The output power required for an electrostatic transformer box is very little. I've used similar tripath amps with many transformer boxes.

If i remember right the chip amp in the SRD-X is rated for something like 6 watts. It's literally a car radio chip amp. Probably why the SRD-X sounds so dry. 

What about the ohm?

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #10,903 of 25,497
  What about the ohm?

Most class-D amps are built with an output filter network optimized for a nominal 4 ohm impedance. 

The transformers in your SRD-4 (and most stax boxes) have a primary impedance near 1 ohm and resistance that pads it closer to 8. In the SRD-4 and most of the early ones it's a PTH device in series and a resistor in parallel. 

In theory the distortion will be slightly lower if you either modify the output network on the amplifier to be optimized for 8 ohms or modify the srd-4 so it's closer to a 4 ohm load, but in practice i haven't found that it matters. Because the load they put on the amplifier is so very tiny. 

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #10,904 of 25,497
Hi All

Hoping someone might be able to give me a bit of advice/insight. Currently got a Stax SRM 353x amp and L500 headphones. I've been thinking about upgrading lately and would like to give the SR 007 Mk2 a try when I'm away next month as there's no dealers near me. Before I go down the route of looking more seriously though is my current amp going to be sufficient for the 007's? Long term I know it wouldn't be the best pairing and I do plan to upgrade down the track just trying to space out the cost a bit. 

Thanks for any help

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #10,905 of 25,497
Hi All

Hoping someone might be able to give me a bit of advice/insight. Currently got a Stax SRM 353x amp and L500 headphones. I've been thinking about upgrading lately and would like to give the SR 007 Mk2 a try when I'm away next month as there's no dealers near me. Before I go down the route of looking more seriously though is my current amp going to be sufficient for the 007's? Long term I know it wouldn't be the best pairing and I do plan to upgrade down the track just trying to space out the cost a bit. 

Thanks for any help

No. My 717 doesn't drive the 007 as well as it does the L700. I would imagine the 353x would be no different. Budget for a serious amp with a 007, otherwise, stick with what you have, or try the L700. You'll need a serious source too, if you don't have one already. Sadly, high-end 'stats are a whole 'nother ball game. The good news is that the L700 does well enough to make one rethink the need to upgrade. Not sure about the L500, never heard it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back