The Stax Thread III
Jan 3, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #10,876 of 25,564
Do you know why it died? Might be an easy cheap fix. Is the wall wart putting out voltage? Are the fuses intact? Is anything burnt on the internal boards? Just saying I'd check that sort of stuff before dropping cash on a new amp. If it worked for a month then that seems like it's not something you bought wrong.

Otherwise, there's the usual suspects for a new STAX amp. Old school you have SRM-1 Mk II, Mk II PP, T1, T1W, 717, SRM-3 or the older 70's amps if you do a probias mod on them. Newer, you have the other versions of the 252S like the 252, then the 323/353S, 006t, 007tA, 727 II, etc. Then there's the DIY ones. SRX Plus seems a good bet for a reasonable cost project.

Edit: And also the new KG Current Feedback Electrostatic Amp for budget. I think raw parts is about $100+case and hardware but GB boards will likely be a little while out.

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #10,877 of 25,564
I don't have any equipment to check the voltage on the wall wart, although I did order a different one and no result. It didn't emit any noticeable smell when it died. I haven't cracked the unit open yet.

I'm wondering if the STAX SRM-353X will work on American power out of the box or would I need to buy something to transform/regulate the voltage.

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #10,878 of 25,564
Depends on where you get it and how old it is. Older amps had swappable voltages, like my old T1W is universal with a quick change of the plug in the back. Newer ones have the transformer primaries cut and are locked to their original location. A decent step down transformer if you need it will only set you back about $30 though.

Jan 4, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #10,879 of 25,564

I'm wondering if the STAX SRM-353X will work on American power out of the box or would I need to buy something to transform/regulate the voltage.

The SRM-353X is a new design so it probably only runs on the voltage of the country it is designed to be sold in, e.g. Japan 100V, USA/Canada 120V, most of the rest of the world 230-240V.  So a Japanese amp would need a step-up transformer to work properly in the US, a European amp (for example) would need a step down transformer.

Jan 4, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #10,880 of 25,564
  The SRM-353X is a new design so it probably only runs on the voltage of the country it is designed to be sold in, e.g. Japan 100V, USA/Canada 120V, most of the rest of the world 230-240V.  So a Japanese amp would need a step-up transformer to work properly in the US, a European amp (for example) would need a step down transformer.

I've been looking into it further since I made my first post, and everything you said seems to be right. I think I'm going to go with the 353X, the main hiccup is that it is sold out on the stax usa website. I don't know where else online I would get a USA Stax product, everything on ebay is japan imports.

Jan 4, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #10,881 of 25,564

I've been looking into it further since I made my first post, and everything you said seems to be right. I think I'm going to go with the 353X, the main hiccup is that it is sold out on the stax usa website. I don't know where else online I would get a USA Stax product, everything on ebay is japan imports.

http://www.headamp.com/order/stax-srm-353x/

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #10,882 of 25,564

Or if you're handy with a soldering iron, you could get a vintage SRM-T1 and replace the electrolytic caps (about $50 or less in parts).  It's less dry sounding than the Stax solid state amps.

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #10,883 of 25,564
Hey guys, asking for a vendor recommendation. 

I need to order a new cable for my sr-001 mk2. 

Yamas can supply it, but i don't like their price. 

Time was there were a number of companies in japan with affordable gray-market stax parts. 

Who's good for that these days? I'm way out of the loop. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #10,884 of 25,564
Hello everyone. It's been a while since I last posted here. I've been thoroughly enjoying my SR-009 ever since it arrived. But now I'm in need of some advice.

I might temporarily be moving to a different country and can neither carry all my STAX equipment nor afford to repurchase them. As someone who has been spoiled by the ecstasy that is the audio quality of the SR-009, I need recommendations on headphones (preferably within $500-$1000) that comes closest to the SR-009's sound (absurd, I know) and can be driven satisfactorily by a JDSLabs O2+ODAC combo. I would rather not buy used/refurbished, but I might do so if it means it will get me closer to achieving SR-009-ish audio quality.

If it helps, my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250Ohm sounds horrible now that I'm accustomed to the SR-009's sound. 

Please do not hesitate to ask for information if needed. And do mention if you think reposting this in another sub-forum might yield better advice.

Thank you very much.

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #10,886 of 25,564
  Hello everyone. It's been a while since I last posted here. I've been thoroughly enjoying my SR-009 ever since it arrived. But now I'm in need of some advice.

I might temporarily be moving to a different country and can neither carry all my STAX equipment nor afford to repurchase them. As someone who has been spoiled by the ecstasy that is the audio quality of the SR-009, I need recommendations on headphones (preferably within $500-$1000) that comes closest to the SR-009's sound (absurd, I know) and can be driven satisfactorily by a JDSLabs O2+ODAC combo. I would rather not buy used/refurbished, but I might do so if it means it will get me closer to achieving SR-009-ish audio quality.

If it helps, my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250Ohm sounds horrible now that I'm accustomed to the SR-009's sound. 

Please do not hesitate to ask for information if needed. And do mention if you think reposting this in another sub-forum might yield better advice.

Thank you very much.

Look at some of the less expensive orthodynamics. I believe there's a hifiman model that goes for as little as $200 factory refurbished. 

Or, hey, some of the more expensive ones. 

fwiw though i like fostex, the high-end fostex "regular phase" headphones appear to be the T50-RP Mk3 with fancier dress. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #10,887 of 25,564
Sorry for the annoying Stax-newb question here. Would 007 be in any way feasible for an office rig (as opposed to, say, an open can like Focal Utopia, etc.)? At first I was looking toward closed solutions like Sony Z1R, AT W3000ANV, etc., but I do prefer the open sound signature. By way of context, I share an office with 2 other dudes who are pretty mellow with whom I'm launching a start-up. I don't usually play music to ear-blistering volumes and my main fare is classical and jazz. Thanks for your input!

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #10,888 of 25,564
I am constantly amazed at folk using headphones whilst "working". My love of music is OCD (probably more than most). However I could never work anywhere near efficiently listening to music through ear buds, headphones or speakers. Add to that an office environment where others (presumably) are also trying to concentrate then the idea of high end cans and open, is ridiculous IMO.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #10,889 of 25,564
I am constantly amazed at folk using headphones whilst "working". My love of music is OCD (probably more than most). However I could never work anywhere near efficiently listening to music through ear buds, headphones or speakers. Add to that an office environment where others (presumably) are also trying to concentrate then the idea of high end cans and open, is ridiculous IMO.

I appreciate your opinion, but I was only looking for input and guidance, not pedantry. Not sure what I said that merited your summary judgment that what I'm trying to do is "ridiculous." I studied music at Peabody Conservatory so I know about the OCD side of music-loving, and at home, I listen to vintage RCA LC1As and records spun from my Garrard 301. My new office is a little different than the Big Corporate stuffy office that I used to be at, as I'm launching a fintech start-up with my colleagues: a little more dynamic, a lot looser. In my Y1 of this business, I'd likely live in my office from 8 in the morning to past midnight - so I think some people might understand why a little music might be useful. Hope that clarifies.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #10,890 of 25,564
8 hours working without music is likely far more productive and less damaging to one's health than 16 hours (really?) working with music, but each to his own I suppose! Good luck with your search anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back