The Stax Thread III
Jan 1, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #10,861 of 25,565
  I have an old Stax Sigma, connected via the energizer SRD-7.

I recently discovered a channel imbalance. The right/left proportion is something like 70/30.

Changing amp did not help.

I also noticed that the SRD-7 does not change the sound when powered on. If I leave it powered off, the sound is the same. Same volume, same imbalance.

Is the problem caused by a faulty energizer? Any suggestions?

Sounds like your Sigma's are stucked with residual charge.
Try leaving them connected to the SRD-7 (powered on) for a day or two ... pull out the plug, and discharge the Sigma's by placing your thumb on the legs of the plug ... you might have to do this exercise a number of times 
(you don't have to play music ...just leave the Sigma's pluged in, and the charger powered up)

Jan 1, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #10,862 of 25,565

I recently discovered a channel imbalance. The right/left proportion is something like 70/30.

I also noticed that the SRD-7 does not change the sound when powered on. If I leave it powered off, the sound is the same. Same volume, same imbalance.

How much did you buy the Sigma's for? Do they happen to be the Pro version?

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #10,863 of 25,565

Sounds like your Sigma's are stucked with residual charge.
Try leaving them connected to the SRD-7 (powered on) for a day or two ... pull out the plug, and discharge the Sigma's by placing your thumb on the legs of the plug ... you might have to do this exercise a number of times 
(you don't have to play music ...just leave the Sigma's pluged in, and the charger powered up)

Thanks, but it did not help.

How much did you buy the Sigma's for? Do they happen to be the Pro version?

I purchased these via eBay for something like $450, they are not the Pro version. They have worked great until a month ago when the imbalance issue started.

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #10,865 of 25,565

I am wondering if your SRD7 has a problem? If it doesn't 'amplify' and you get the same level straight from the power amp outputs then something is amiss. Maybe the SRD7 has damaged the HP drives? The SRD7 is 20+ years old, the trans may be end of live, the caps gone etc...

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #10,866 of 25,565

I have heard seen people try to discredit MSB due to a potential error in their marketing regarding their products performance. Honestly, marketing in audio is full of hullaballoo and information totally irrelevant to what could actually be heard by a human being. I listened to the voicing of this amp and I think it beyond anything I have heard from KG/Headamp/stax. I can only encourage you guys to give it a try.

Happy Listening
Xec

Great write up there.

My challenge to your review is simply you may have different tastes. There is the Abyss club, the Audeze, the Hifi-Man clubs. Stats are not for everyone.

IMO the 009 is VERY fast and digs out maybe too much micro detail for some, or some systems. I also believe after owning the 009 for 3 years and trying it with various amps and DAC sources, it needs a warm slanting amp or DAC, otherwise it can sound synthetic. Actually I also find many 'high end' DACs sound synthetic with revealing fast speakers. But IMO if you have the right front end and an amp that is not too bright, the 009 is heavenly. I really can't see myself straying away from it. I haven't heard the Utopia, but I have heard the HD800s, the Abyss, the LCD3 and 4.

Back on subject, if the MSB Select plus the Stat amp didn't sound amazing, then it would be rather stupid at over 100K USD. The HE-1 is 50K and I would wonder if that was better? But not having heard either I will not say anything, just watch from a distance.

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #10,867 of 25,565
You can get a dedicated stax amp that has a knob go adject imbalances, which solves the problem at the cost of spending more money :/

Which one is that?

I am wondering if your SRD7 has a problem? If it doesn't 'amplify' and you get the same level straight from the power amp outputs then something is amiss. Maybe the SRD7 has damaged the HP drives? The SRD7 is 20+ years old, the trans may be end of live, the caps gone etc...

Unfortunately, I have no other energizer or Stax Sigma to test with.... what a pity.

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #10,868 of 25,565

You can get a dedicated stax amp that has a knob go adject imbalances, which solves the problem at the cost of spending more money :/

Which one is that?

Unfortunately, I have no other energizer or Stax Sigma to test with.... what a pity.

I would get down to a Stax seller / dealer in your area, take your Sigma with you. 

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #10,869 of 25,565
  Great write up there.

My challenge to your review is simply you may have different tastes. There is the Abyss club, the Audeze, the Hifi-Man clubs. Stats are not for everyone.

IMO the 009 is VERY fast and digs out maybe too much micro detail for some, or some systems. I also believe after owning the 009 for 3 years and trying it with various amps and DAC sources, it needs a warm slanting amp or DAC, otherwise it can sound synthetic. Actually I also find many 'high end' DACs sound synthetic with revealing fast speakers. But IMO if you have the right front end and an amp that is not too bright, the 009 is heavenly. I really can't see myself straying away from it. I haven't heard the Utopia, but I have heard the HD800s, the Abyss, the LCD3 and 4.

Back on subject, if the MSB Select plus the Stat amp didn't sound amazing, then it would be rather stupid at over 100K USD. The HE-1 is 50K and I would wonder if that was better? But not having heard either I will not say anything, just watch from a distance.

Of course.
I kept the Abyss because sonically it sings to the tune my brain most enjoys. I don't think it's the most resolving transducer or the most neutral/accurate. The plankton rendering king probably still goes to HD800 but the peaks make it unlistenable to my ears. Even from kilobuck rigs.
As I said, my opinion is that the sr009 is not good at resolving what we call plankton, it has good detail/clarity but I think it is a fallacy that it digs deeper than good dynamics. IMO YMMV etc,etc.

Isquirrel's system was the best I have heard from the 009, like you said though, I just might not be a stax man.
I am taking great interest in this successor to the 009 and the T2.

Also I know there is a major flaw in my amp review. Which is that I am not familiar with the MSB select II Dac + Isquirrels upgrades. I wish we had some time to hear it on his other systems, I have a feeling this DAC is very musical, engaging and organic in tuning, however I needed more time and more of my own reference gear to work out what I was enjoying most about his 009 than usual.

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #10,870 of 25,565

Great write up there.

Of course.
I kept the Abyss because sonically it sings to the tune my brain most enjoys. I don't think it's the most resolving transducer or the most neutral/accurate. The plankton rendering king probably still goes to HD800 but the peaks make it unlistenable to my ears. Even from kilobuck rigs.
As I said, my opinion is that the sr009 is not good at resolving what we call plankton, it has good detail/clarity but I think it is a fallacy that it digs deeper than good dynamics. IMO YMMV etc,etc.

Isquirrel's system was the best I have heard from the 009, like you said though, I just might not be a stax man.
I am taking great interest in this successor to the 009 and the T2.

Also I know there is a major flaw in my amp review. Which is that I am not familiar with the MSB select II Dac + Isquirrels upgrades. I wish we had some time to hear it on his other systems, I have a feeling this DAC is very musical, engaging and organic in tuning, however I needed more time and more of my own reference gear to work out what I was enjoying most about his 009 than usual.

Fair enough. I would hazard a guess that MSB 'tuned' the amp to 'correct' the 009 to their sonic ideal. TBH isn't this what we as audiophiles are trying to do by trying this bit of gear with that bit?
It may thus have got an MSB dose of warmth and smoothness to compensate the 009s excitable nature. The amp has an option to alter the frequency curve I think, so clearly some EQ is going on ar an adaptable FPGA filter. I use a tubed NOS DAC so I may be doing the same thing in a different way. I do agree on some systems, such as hyper detailed DACs the 009 can sound too much. A bit like too much icing on the cake, it becomes sickly. But the sound I am getting from the 009 is perfect for me. Healthy doses of dynamic and deep bass, beautiful midrange and smooth detailed and FAST treble.

Plankton, I like that term, and I must say I am hearing shed loads of it. If there is a tiny click in a dance track (mixing mistake), a whisper in the background (live gig), a seagull flying over a church (organ music) I can hear it right there. The panels in the 009 are so low on mass I think they have incredible speed TBH. If the Abyss has more, it must be like an electron microscope. Like you say, the HD800 is the plankton king, but is that treble emphasis and harshness, not actual extra detail? I have heard the HD800s and wasn't amazed so much.

Pity you couldn't do a one on one test with the MSB amp and say the BHSE or Carbon out of the Select. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #10,871 of 25,565

I would get down to a Stax seller / dealer in your area, take your Sigma with you. 

Good idea, but unfortunately there is none available in my area.

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #10,872 of 25,565

Good idea, but unfortunately there is none available in my area.

Can you enact a charge back through PayPal / Ebay? Not sure on the returns policy but if the item has bust this bad, you may have a chance. TYhere is a 180 day charge back window. To enable it you need to contact PayPal / Ebay and flag up a case review.

Unfortunately this feels like a seller dumping sale here. It can be good to buy used but Stats are fragile things and condition can be all over the shop depending on use level and storage. I hope you can resolve it, and keep going. The current Stax 007A would be a safer buy IMO, and a decent more recent Stax amp like the 717 or 727. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #10,873 of 25,565

Can you enact a charge back through PayPal / Ebay? Not sure on the returns policy but if the item has bust this bad, you may have a chance. TYhere is a 180 day charge back window. To enable it you need to contact PayPal / Ebay and flag up a case review.

Unfortunately this feels like a seller dumping sale here. It can be good to buy used but Stats are fragile things and condition can be all over the shop depending on use level and storage. I hope you can resolve it, and keep going. The current Stax 007A would be a safer buy IMO, and a decent more recent Stax amp like the 717 or 727. 

Thanks, but I bought these a couple of years ago, and I have been very happy with them until a month ago. It looks like I will need to either pay someone to repair them or I will sell them as they are.

Jan 3, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #10,874 of 25,565
Thanks for the feedback from the members here.  It has enhanced my background knowledge on Stax gear, and how to get the best from them.

For the time being, will be doing lots of listening to the SR 007's with the SRM 007tA.  Honestly, getting the Benchmark DAC 2 DX seemed to make all my Stax headphones take a big step up in overall sonic quality.   Based on the feedback from members here, knowing my own personal preferences, decided that the SR 007 would be the closest fit to my listening profile.  At some point, would very much like to audition the SR 009's for comparison. 

I will keep my eye open for auditioning the SR 007's with other amps, such as KGSS, Cavalli, etc.  

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #10,875 of 25,565
I had a STAX SRM-252S amp die on me after a month, despite buying a supposedly compatible US voltage power adapter for it.

So now I need a new amp to power my STAX SR-L300 earspeakers. So far I'm eyeing the  STAX SRM-353X amp. Are there any other options I should be considering? My main criteria is that it doesn't cost more than $1000 and works on US power and won't die in a month.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back