The Stax Thread III
Dec 27, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #10,831 of 25,567
  Certainly, when someone with an extensive background in music such as Mr. Katz recommends/uses a specific setup he is happy with, that is at least worth some consideration.  

I agree that it is worth some consideration. On the other hand... Bob Katz is a big fan of the Oppo PM-3s. Tyll Hertsens does not like them. If you take a look at the "The Closed Wars" topic here, you will see wide disagreement. One should not put too much weight in any one reviewers opinion even if the reviewer has sterling credentials.

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #10,832 of 25,567
I found you simply need to hear a headphone for yourself and take anyones opinions/impressions with a grain of salt…especially those who get paid for it.

I've been really surprised at how much I didn't care for many "TOTL" headphones at all while others raved about them. Also, every new $4K+ headphone seems to be the "worlds best" headphone these days. It's ridiculous.

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #10,833 of 25,567

I agree that it is worth some consideration. On the other hand... Bob Katz is a big fan of the Oppo PM-3s. Tyll Hertsens does not like them. If you take a look at the "The Closed Wars" topic here, you will see wide disagreement. One should not put too much weight in any one reviewers opinion even if the reviewer has sterling credentials.

I agree with your point in general, and also on some existing limitations of the PM-3s, but the comment about Tyll Hertsens I think is misleading. He includes the PM-3s in the Wall of Fame list and the comments are very positive.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed#TkYIaGFIkgTJz2Ql.97

Not a TOTL, but for what it delivers at the price point, it has it's place. Probably why it's on the Wall of Fame list.

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #10,834 of 25,567
Hi all, longtime Stax lover but still a newbie here. I've posted versions of this query on some other threads with little response so far. Older Stax headphones like my SR-Xs had mineral wool acoustic damping pads behind the transducers to minimize reflections from the ear cup inner surfaces (which interfere with the direct sound toward the ears). I've now discovered that some older Lambda designs also had such wool pads [although my Signatures didn't, a colleague's Pros do, and all of the newer designs apparently don't]. Does anyone know why Stax did it both ways and has evidently abandoned the wool pads [or do any newer designs in fact have them]? I believe that they significantly improve the sound, minimizing the phasey comb filtering sound that occurs without them. Old posts on other fora stated that these pads were available from Stax USA / Yama's Inc / Accutech, but they're no longer listed on their website. I've modified my SR-307s with a substitute material and am very happy with the improved sound quality, but I still wonder what I may be missing here because Stax stopped using the mineral wool.

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #10,835 of 25,567
I agree with your point in general, and also on some existing limitations of the PM-3s, but the comment about Tyll Hertsens I think is misleading. He includes the PM-3s in the Wall of Fame list and the comments are very positive.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed#TkYIaGFIkgTJz2Ql.97

Not a TOTL, but for what it delivers at the price point, it has it's place. Probably why it's on the Wall of Fame list.

My wording was inexact, but Tyll made no mention of the PM-3 in his recent Ether C Flow review. Yet he listed and recommended several other closed-backs at various price points in the review. The PM-3 used to be my office headphones until I got the Ether C. I agree with Bob Katz that the PM-3s are really good neutral headphones; especially for a closed-back. However, I was making an anology for the 007/009 debate and we should get back to discussing STAX...

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #10,837 of 25,567
Quick question:
Are the Stax dust-covers necessary?
I live in a cool temperate region, with generally low humidity, and not a particularly dusty environment.
I've read everything from "You need them all the time for all STAX HPs" to "Only need for older models" or "Don't need at all unless you live in a jungle or a desert".
I have 404's.

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #10,838 of 25,567
  Quick question:
Are the Stax dust-covers necessary?
I live in a cool temperate region, with generally low humidity, and not a particularly dusty environment.
I've read everything from "You need them all the time for all STAX HPs" to "Only need for older models" or "Don't need at all unless you live in a jungle or a desert".
I have 404's.

No, they're not necessary. Stax electrostatics have their drivers covered on both sides with a plastic membrane for this purpose, so all drivers are dust covered already, unless someone poked a hole in them. I'm not sure whether all of the very old models have it. I personally do keep my 007s in a plastic bag, because 'can't hurt, might help, costs nothing'.
Electrostatics from other brands do not always have good dust covers. Some of those can develop dust problems, which you will hear as intermittent and faint buzzing, crackling or screeching sounds.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #10,839 of 25,567
Hi

Just searched and could find no reference to this schematic here. I suspect the thought of using transformers is viewed as a backward step by many, but thought it might interest some.

http://peteslab.blogspot.com.au/2015/11/stax-2a3-se-amplifier.html

Regards

Grant

Well, he specifies 250 VRMS as max output, which is a bit on the low side.  Even the Stax SRM-T1 specifies a max output of 300 VRMS, the SRM-727 goes to 450 VRMS, the BHSE over 560 VRMS.  My SRX Plus also puts out at least 300 VRMS and is less expensive (no expensive transformers or expensive 2A3 tubes, although it is for stat headphones only).
Thanks for digging up my blog. That voltage limit is because of iron´s limit. Rest of circuit can take more.
It may look like a low volume, but i´ve never listened to max. Do not want to be deaf, it´s very loud! Stax says 100Vrms/100dB.
IMO, this voltage chasing is like "need" for 500W speaker amps in your room. All it does, is just ear damage.

See yourself. Listen to test tone, measure amp Vrms out where volume starts to be loud. You will be surprised, how little voltage is needed.
If you have problem with amp pot turned to max, and still it sounds quiet;, then it´s likely not voltage out problem, but low gain issue. (audio chain giving low output, or your stax amp has low gain )

Why tubes & irons is simple, i wanted some warm sound touch, since stax is so transparent.
And tubes are a high voltage devices, can take high peak abuse. Better distortion profile than transistors.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #10,840 of 25,567
The SR 007's arrived yesterday.  Initial impressions are very positive indeed.  They are a step up from the SR-507's in both overall sonic presentation and comfort.  Instruments and vocals both to seem have a bit more realism, sound stage is improved in both width and depth.  It does sound like one is further back in the symphony hall with the 007's compared to the 507's.  The 507's sound a bit brighter to me.  

Another thing I've noticed is that the 007's sound is improved using the Stax SRM-007 tA over the SRM 006 tII.  The difference in amps is not so noticeable with 507's.  

For classical listening, the SR 007's are amazing.  I think for rock/blues, the SR 507's are fine, as the tonal balance seems to suit the music.

It seems that preferences with headphones really get rather subjective, perhaps more so than normal playback setups with speakers.  No two peoples hearing response curve is alike, so I'm sure that factors into this some.  

Over the next few months, would like to know more about the amps available to drive these wonderful headphones.  Always been partial to tubes to drive headphones.  For now, will be enjoying the SR 007's.  

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #10,841 of 25,567
  Another thing I've noticed is that the 007's sound is improved using the Stax SRM-007 tA over the SRM 006 tII.  The difference in amps is not so noticeable with 507's.  

Over the next few months, would like to know more about the amps available to drive these wonderful headphones.  Always been partial to tubes to drive headphones.  For now, will be enjoying the SR 007's.  

I suggest you spend more time with the 007tA before jumping to other amps, in order to get familiar with its sound and with your expectations. Some of the things you will feel missing will likely come not necessarily from the limitations of the amp, but perhaps the headphones as well. So also try a 009 with the 007tA if you can, at least for reference.

If you prefer tube amps, you'll probably want the KGST or BHSE or SRX (http://www.head-fi.org/t/85561/post-pics-of-your-builds/8985#post_9169825).

Before going there, eventually try to get someone to improve the power supply of the 007tA, or make an external PSU.

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #10,844 of 25,567
  You need 4 6CG7/6FQ7 tubes.  I would elect to obtain NOS tubes, as I found that they provided improvement over the stock Electro Harmonics tubes.  The unit in theory should be adjusted as well.  

Thank you for the quick respond. I just got the SR 007 mk 1 today along with the SRm 007t, However, I am unsure if the tubes are burnt out as only one channel has sound coming out. 

I will keep that in mind of the tubes I should get cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back