The Stax Thread III
Sep 5, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #9,811 of 25,505
I think the safest bet is just to buy new and avoid the used market all together for the 007. Too many bad years and no definitive way to know what revision you're getting into.

Sep 5, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #9,812 of 25,505
Why all this obsession with the 007 mk1? The current model is just spectacular sounding to my ears; no mods, straight out of the box, just a vanilla Kgss-hv to drive it. And to me it's one of the comfy-est headphones out there of any type with its well-cushioned pads and simple but ingenious fitting design, like great shoes, feeling better to me than even the HD800.
(I'm not even sure what it's called; Mk2.5 or something? Help me out here. It's basic black.)
My 009 sits forlorn in my drawer most of the time while I usually reach for the 007. I wouldn't change a thing in the way it sounds.

Sep 5, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #9,813 of 25,505
The srs-002 system is remarkably good if the eartip design agrees with your anatomy. It's not a 009 but it is still phenomenal as a portable electrostatic setup.

The SRS-002 would benefit from custom ear tips and comments over the years suggest that fit is hit and miss with the basic looking stock tips. I will find out if tips can be made.

Sep 5, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #9,814 of 25,505
The problem with getting a second-hand 007A or Mk.2 is that it is slightly more difficult to find out whether you have a 'good' or 'less good' version. If you get a Mk.1, you're pretty much guaranteed to get a good one. While some have reported minor differences between Mk.1s, with others disagreeing on this point, as far as I know all Mk.1s are superb in their own right, whether or not the small differences exist. There are no Mk.1s to avoid.

Buying new is not always an option for everybody, simply because of cost. Paying more for a Mk.1 than a new Mk.2 seems a bit silly in that light, if it's true that the current Mk.2 is very good again.

Edit: this point has been discussed before, and everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but in my opinion a mint but used Mk.1 is no more risky to buy than a new Mk.2. Each can/will fail if you mistreat it, each will last decades if you take proper care of it.

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #9,815 of 25,505
My thoughts pretty much lean to what Michgelsen says.

I hear the newer SR-007A/MKII sound pretty good, but they can have the volume leveling issues. So with the SR-007A you'd be screwed for warranty, correct? (I live in the USA) Doing the port mod would also void the warranty too I assume.

Got champagne taste with beer money. The 009 are out of reach for me, so it's down the 007a/MKII and MK1's. I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck and my hope is when I do get something, I'll be satisfied with it. I can't afford to collect multiple headphone willy nilly for comparison, and I don't have the resource here in the Denver area to borrow for listening evaluations.

That's why I'm leaning towards a pair of gently used MK1's - I here they sound wonderful, scale up beautifully with your equipment, and that other than the SZ1's, everything else in the MK1 family is pretty comparable with possibly small variations here and there. I hear the 007A and MK1 with SZ2 SN's are pretty good, but the rest of the family can be hit or miss, or too forward, which isn't my cup of tea

I have a pretty revealing system running a Decware CSP3 preamp and a Yamaha B-2 v-fet power amp, which is known for it's tube like sound with SS power. I'm getting a custom made energizer which uses Lundahl trannies. Everything I've read just makes me feel like the the Omega II's would be a wonderful fit with what I've got.

Wouldn't surprise me if I have some thoughts messed up here - just so much contradictory info out there, it's hard to keep it all straight. If I need correcting, correct me please! All I ask is that you tell me what your experiences are, and not what you've heard.

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #9,816 of 25,505
Looking for some feedback about ECC99 tubes rolling in Stax SRM 600LE amp or any other, modified Stax amps that can use them.

From what I could find, there is only few available, which are:

JJ Tesla normal
JJ Tesla gold pins
NOS 6N6P Russian made

E182CC - but I am not sure if this tube can be used, however, they do mention it online.

Any thoughts?

THX

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #9,817 of 25,505

I hear the newer SR-007A/MKII sound pretty good, but they can have the volume leveling issues. So with the SR-007A you'd be screwed for warranty, correct? (I live in the USA) Doing the port mod would also void the warranty too I assume.

Got champagne taste with beer money. The 009 are out of reach for me, so it's down the 007a/MKII and MK1's. I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck and my hope is when I do get something, I'll be satisfied with it. I can't afford to collect multiple headphone willy nilly for comparison, and I don't have the resource here in the Denver area to borrow for listening evaluations.

That's why I'm leaning towards a pair of gently used MK1's - I here they sound wonderful, scale up beautifully with your equipment, and that other than the SZ1's, everything else in the MK1 family is pretty comparable with possibly small variations here and there. I hear the 007A and MK1 with SZ2 SN's are pretty good, but the rest of the family can be hit or miss, or too forward, which isn't my cup of tea

I have a pretty revealing system running a Decware CSP3 preamp and a Yamaha B-2 v-fet power amp, which is known for it's tube like sound with SS power. I'm getting a custom made energizer which uses Lundahl trannies. Everything I've read just makes me feel like the the Omega II's would be a wonderful fit with what I've got.

Wouldn't surprise me if I have some thoughts messed up here - just so much contradictory info out there, it's hard to keep it all straight. If I need correcting, correct me please! All I ask is that you tell me what your experiences are, and not what you've heard.

The port mod is reversible, so you could undo it if you need the warranty. If you import from Japan, getting warranty will be difficult although you can send it back to Japan for servicing. There was a post from someone a few years ago about this, saying that it was a painful process taking many months, although this was about an Airbow headphone IIRC (which is a modified Stax). I think it's safe to say that buying a used Mk.1 or a new A from Japan will get you about the same level of warranty, if you get what I mean. Just don't step on the cable while wearing the earspeakers, and you'll be fine. Cable issues are the most common failure of the 007.

I believe the newest Mk.2s have a SZ-3 serial number by the way. The SZ-2 is the earlier Mk.2 / A.
It just occured to me now that SZ may stand for Stax Omega, as the last letter Z of our alphabet is a 'translation' from the last letter Ω​ of the Greek alphabet. No idea whether Stax meant it this way, but it's a funny coincidence. :)

Sep 6, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #9,818 of 25,505

I had the exact same dilemma, this is what I'll do:

Get new 007A from Amazon, I live in Spain and in Amazon.es there is a japanese seller that has 007A for 1840€, shipping and taxes included, so no customs surprise and short waiting time, no worries like buying from Price Japan. 99.5% of possibilities that is the last version, because 007A is always backordered and Spritzer report on new "mk2.9"revision (the last and best one) dates from may 2015.
When buying from Japan, I'll not have warranty in Spain, so I'll do the port mod (for me, this is crucial to get them sounding right).
Plan is to paid a professional builder to make a KGSS, which, if well done with quality parts and a decent chassis, costs between 1200-1500€.
Cost of the setup is 3000-3300€ , but is the best price-quality ratio with 007, because it needs a very powerful and linear amplifier.
Good thing is that, if someday I want a better amp (let's say a Carbon), I can sell the KGSS without money loss (or very minor loss) and recover the initial inversion of the KGSS.

Of course, we all have different tastes and plans to buy gear, but I think this is the best way to start with SR-007.

Sep 6, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #9,819 of 25,505

I had the exact same dilemma, this is what I'll do:

Get new 007A from Amazon, I live in Spain and in Amazon.es there is a japanese seller that has 007A for 1840€, shipping and taxes included, so no customs surprise and short waiting time, no worries like buying from Price Japan. 99.5% of possibilities that is the last version, because 007A is always backordered and Spritzer report on new "mk2.9"revision (the last and best one) dates from may 2015.
When buying from Japan, I'll not have warranty in Spain, so I'll do the port mod (for me, this is crucial to get them sounding right).
Plan is to paid a professional builder to make a KGSS, which, if well done with quality parts and a decent chassis, costs between 1200-1500€.
Cost of the setup is 3000-3300€ , but is the best price-quality ratio with 007, because it needs a very powerful and linear amplifier.
Good thing is that, if someday I want a better amp (let's say a Carbon), I can sell the KGSS without money loss (or very minor loss) and recover the initial inversion of the KGSS.

Of course, we all have different tastes and plans to buy gear, but I think this is the best way to start with SR-007.

Sounds like a plan. I live in Spain as well. I bought my 007A from PJ but before they went all quiet / no comms. I am not sure the port mod is so crucial? Have you asked Spritzer? My 2015 007A sounds great as is, and IMO is close to a 007 MK1 which I have heard recently. I don't feel the bass lift is an issue, but it might depend on your source.

TBH the 007s warm signature works really well in many modern DACs, less hassles than the 009s IMO. The 009 is better but it needs a great and smooth sounding source.

Sep 6, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #9,820 of 25,505

Sounds like a plan. I live in Spain as well. I bought my 007A from PJ but before they went all quiet / no comms. I am not sure the port mod is so crucial? Have you asked Spritzer? My 2015 007A sounds great as is, and IMO is close to a 007 MK1 which I have heard recently. I don't feel the bass lift is an issue, but it might depend on your source.

TBH the 007s warm signature works really well in many modern DACs, less hassles than the 009s IMO. The 009 is better but it needs a great and smooth sounding source.

They're lovely stock, but I like the port mod because it makes bass more extended and tighter, vocals pop out more because of this, the sound is more neutral but without losing that beautiful tone of the 007.
I like neutral and non fatiguing audio transducers so this is gold for me, YMMV but is the real deal for my tastes.

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #9,821 of 25,505
I'm pleased to announce that I have ordered a pair of SR-L700 to replace the SR-404 Signatures that I bought (as a package) with the SRM-006t amp.  

Much as I loved the sound of the 404S/006t, that little niggling idea to buy a pair of L700s kept, um, niggling, and I gave in.  I didn't consider 007s or 009s of any form at this stage, as that would commit me to an amp change at some point.  

I shall post my thoughts when I get them (end of next week or thereabouts).  Unfortunately, I sold the 404 Signatures quite easily and so won't be able to do a direct comparison, instead relying on (fallible) audio memory.  I do still have my HD800/Phonitor combo, but as the 404S/006t sounded a tad better than that setup from the off, I imagine that L700/006t will be comfortably ahead.

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #9,823 of 25,505
There has been such a positive hype on this forum about the Japanese  SR-007A (with silver colored housing) that I have just bought one. I have heard a couple of 007 Mk2's that didn't impress, but I guess I needed to get the current 007A in order to arrive to my own conclusion about the issue.

I will compare it with my early 007 Mk1 (referring to the L700 and the 009 as well), in 3 configurations: 1) both in stock form, 2) both with the currently available EP-007 black ear pads, 3) both with my modded 009 ear pads. 

You see (Astrostar), I trusted you with my money... that I will lose by selling either the 007A or the 007 Mk1 :). I want to believe in miracles! :)

Justice will come in about 2-3 weeks, hopefully with comparative measurements as well. At least buyers will know better what they buy :).

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #9,825 of 25,505
  There has been such a positive hype on this forum about the Japanese  SR-007A (with silver colored housing) that I have just bought one. I have heard a couple of 007 Mk2's that didn't impress, but I guess I needed to get the current 007A Japanese version (with silver housing) in order to arrive to my own conclusion about the issue.

I will compare it with my early 007 Mk1 (referring to the L700 and the 009 as well), in 3 configurations: 1) both in stock form, 2) both with the currently available EP-007 black ear pads, 3) both with my modded 009 ear pads. 

You see (Astrostar), I trusted you with my money... that I will lose by selling either the 007A or the 007 Mk1 :). I want to believe in miracles! :)

Justice will come in about 2-3 weeks, hopefully with comparative measurements as well. At least buyers will know better what they buy :).

I just purchased a pair of domestic 007Mk2 from Justin, and from what I understand the only difference between the import 007-A Mkll is the color, not the sound signsture as long as their both from the current years being '15 and up? I haven't had the chance to hear mine being I haven't had an amp for quite a few months now since I'm waiting for my BHSE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back