The Stax Thread III
Sep 4, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #9,796 of 25,570
  I asked Spritzer and Gilmore about it, they said it was crap, better to get 252S for travel. 

or wait for their new SRM212  DAC/AMP ...if it reach the market :wink:

Sep 4, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #9,797 of 25,570
Stax portability mostly means you can transport them in a luggage between two noise-insulated rooms :).
The headphones come in an already a pretty big box to carry around, plus the amp gets you to fill cabin size luggage easily. Since even if the amp is small (like the 252S) the power supply is going to be either big or heavy or both, or otherwise meh, so I don't see many reasons to carry Stax headphones around. The (noisy) environment, or the size (and weight) kills most use cases. I am also skeptical about the possibilities of  getting sound quality close to the BHSE in a small package. 

I never heard the in-ear Stax, but they are a different thing - the question was about a portable 009 package IIUR.

Sep 4, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #9,798 of 25,570
The srs-002 system is remarkably good if the eartip design agrees with your anatomy. It's not a 009 but it is still phenomenal as a portable electrostatic setup.

Sep 4, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #9,799 of 25,570
  Stax portability mostly means you can transport them in a luggage between two noise-insulated rooms :).
The headphones come in an already a pretty big box to carry around, plus the amp gets you to fill cabin size luggage easily. Since even if the amp is small (like the 252S) the power supply is going to be either big or heavy or both, or otherwise meh, so I don't see many reasons to carry Stax headphones around. The (noisy) environment, or the size (and weight) kills most use cases. I am also skeptical about the possibilities of  getting sound quality close to the BHSE in a small package. 

I never heard the in-ear Stax, but they are a different thing - the question was about a portable 009 package IIUR.

I agree; hauling around a 009 sounds like a recipe for disaster, not to mention it won't live up to anywhere near the BHSE/009 level. Dynamic headphones are more robust for what matters to the potential traumas of travel, and far easier to drive too. He should go with either one of the Stax systems designed with portability in mind (the srs-002 mentioned above), or go with a transportable dynamic/planar headphone setup.

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #9,800 of 25,570
I get nervous being outside with my damn JVC SZ2k's and those aren't even all that much money.

If I was travelling with any STAX I would invest in a bigger than necessary Pelican and would not trust anything else. This is already my plan for whenever I get an 007 or 009: it will not leave the Pelican unless it is sitting down & listening time.

I don't think I would even be okay with owning an 007 or 009 if I didn't have a way to have it survive any possible accident without being worried about damage. I have seen Pelicans full of incredibly delicate equipment take some beatings.

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #9,801 of 25,570
I think Stax should look into developing a set of portable on ear earspeakers that are compatible with the existing SRM-002 amp and priced similarly to that system. I built an adapter to use full size Stax earspeakers on the SRM-002 a while back and it drove the SR-X Mk3 very well, so I don't think it would be that unrealistic for Stax to do something similar.

Sep 4, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #9,802 of 25,570
  I think Stax should look into developing a set of portable on ear earspeakers that are compatible with the existing SRM-002 amp and priced similarly to that system. I built an adapter to use full size Stax earspeakers on the SRM-002 a while back and it drove the SR-X Mk3 very well, so I don't think it would be that unrealistic for Stax to do something similar.

I would also buy this. I miss my SR-X MK3 so much. Incredibly regretful  I ever sold that setup: it was one of the best I ever had!

The STAX in-ear monitors sound nothing like the earspeakers IMO.

Sep 4, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #9,803 of 25,570
SR-007 Omega II Mk1 Ear Pads and Head Pad...

Posted in a help forum here, was told I should post here - if faux pas I apologize and mods can delete prior thread.

I'm trying to get myself eju-macated on the Stax SR-007 omega II MK1 before I look into possibly buying a pair.

Browsing around I get the impression that the original brown OEM ear pads and head pad have been discontinued for the Omega II/MK1. Here is an example of a quote I found online:"Unfortunately, the original brown color parts are out of production, and so I could only source black color parts from Stax" This person also mentions they also couldn't get the original brown Omega II/Mk1 head pad for the same reason. However, I go to the Stax USA website and they state that they carry the STAXSR007EP and STAXSR007HP in brown. Am I missing something? Are the brown ear pads/head pad at StaxUSA the same as the originals? If different, how?

I tried to go to the horses mouth and asked Stax via email, but I haven't heard back from them yet

Thanks

Sep 4, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #9,804 of 25,570
Why is there such an obsession to carry around stax? So many other options on dynamic/ortho side that sounds awesome.... There are some great iems out there that take you to another place with a good seal even...... Why bother stressing about carrying around sr009 or sr007 on the go...

Sep 4, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #9,805 of 25,570
Why is there such an obsession to carry around stax? So many other options on dynamic/ortho side that sounds awesome.... There are some great iems out there that take you to another place with a good seal even...... Why bother stressing about carrying around sr009 or sr007 on the go...

Well I don't disagree about trying to make the 009 or 007 portable, but I don't see any reason why a purpose built portable electrostatic headphone setup wouldn't be desirable. The SR-002 is a phenomenal IEM and at the price offers unparalleled performance, so it follows that an electrostatic headphone purpose built for portability would likely outperform it's dynamic peers in that arena as well.

Sep 5, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #9,806 of 25,570
  SR-007 Omega II Mk1 Ear Pads and Head Pad...

Posted in a help forum here, was told I should post here - if faux pas I apologize and mods can delete prior thread.

I'm trying to get myself eju-macated on the Stax SR-007 omega II MK1 before I look into possibly buying a pair.

Browsing around I get the impression that the original brown OEM ear pads and head pad have been discontinued for the Omega II/MK1. Here is an example of a quote I found online:"Unfortunately, the original brown color parts are out of production, and so I could only source black color parts from Stax" This person also mentions they also couldn't get the original brown Omega II/Mk1 head pad for the same reason. However, I go to the Stax USA website and they state that they carry the STAXSR007EP and STAXSR007HP in brown. Am I missing something? Are the brown ear pads/head pad at StaxUSA the same as the originals? If different, how?

I tried to go to the horses mouth and asked Stax via email, but I haven't heard back from them yet

Thanks

All the Omega 2 Mk I and Mk II parts outside the cord are interchangeable. The only difference is the modern ear pads are partly real leather now and the headband has Mk II stamped on it.

The Stax USA stuff is genuine brown Mk I old stock.

Sep 5, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #9,807 of 25,570

I would read some more. The sound of the 007s is different depending which version and year you buy. IMO the latest MK2 A is superb, but like I said, ask around, don't take my word for it.

IMO the 'right' 007 is still somewhat a bargain.

Sep 5, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #9,808 of 25,570

The original ear pads on my 007 were thick brown sheep leather. I bought new ones from someone a few years back, that was brown but thin leather. I liked that more than the old one. That may be a newer version of the "brown 007" pads. I am not aware of more versions of the brown 007 pads.

The black 007 pads are also thick, leather with a pleather flap. All of these are interchangeable (as Tinkerer mentioned) at least as far as dimensions go. However, due to different sourcing on the foam and leather and craftmanship, they do sound slightly different. As I said many times here, when the time comes I would definitely buy 009 ear pads to the 007 as well, and use them without the springs.

Sep 5, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #9,809 of 25,570
  I would read some more. The sound of the 007s is different depending which version and year you buy. IMO the latest MK2 A is superb, but like I said, ask around, don't take my word for it.

IMO the 'right' 007 is still somewhat a bargain.

Yeah I was kinda eyeing the omega II MK1 in SN range of 70xxx -71xxx. I realize there could be issues with the age of them and parts being worn, hence is why I'm asking about the soft parts.

On the MK2 A. are you referring to the Stax fart mod or the un-modded version? Can you still send to Japan for warranty work if you're in another country or are you screwed?

Sep 5, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #9,810 of 25,570

Yeah I was kinda eyeing the omega II MK1 in SN range of 70xxx -71xxx. I realize there could be issues with the age of them and parts being worn, hence is why I'm asking about the soft parts.

On the MK2 A. are you referring to the Stax fart mod or the un-modded version? Can you still send to Japan for warranty work if you're in another country or are you screwed?

I have the 007A Silver 2015 (bought from PJ) but the current black 007 MK2 Black is the same according to others who have it. It sounds great. I would AVOID the MK2 black ver 2 between the MK1 and maybe 2012. It sounds flat and lifeless to me. I had the black MK2 about 2011 and it was disappointing. The current 007A silver is great, a bargain and more transparent and fast than the earlier MK2s. ALL in my experience and others may get mad / argue black is white / go ape. Some may have good examples of the MK2 Black but it is tricky how to know before you get it home. Stax say nothing about changes to the drivers, and serial numbers don't make sense to anyone either. Safer to buy a later 007 IMO. Luckily I sold off my Black Mk2.

The MK1 is really old now, might be risky. I have heard the MK1 against my 007A and it is so close seems no point, go for newer IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back