The Stax Thread III
Sep 3, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #9,782 of 25,570
Shifting gears here, has anyone been updated on PriceJapan orders lately? I'm gearing up to buy an Omega 2 and I'm hoping to go through them if they're back up and running.

Sep 3, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #9,783 of 25,570

580v of bias current sounds dangerous - does it real has to be so much amper? i not think i listen to music as loud as panels moves in or out. is there not a way to cut down the voltage on the ampers - sound more safe i gues

Voltage by itself is not dangerous unless there is significant current accompanying it.  For example, if you walk across a carpet on a dry day and touch a door knob you may get a little shock from static electricity - that is actually over 1000 volts, but the current is negligible, so no big deal.

So to explain an electrostatic driver, you have three parts, the two stators, which are stationary, and the driver which sits between them.  The amplifier supplies the drive voltage and current to the stators in opposite phase, that is, when one stator goes positive, the other goes negative.  The driver, which is a thin membrane, e.g. similar to saran wrap, is charged to a fixed voltage, in the case of a Stax Pro, for example, positive 580 volts.  Now, with no signal the membrane sits still between the stators.  If we now apply, say 10 volts to one stator and -10 volts to the other, then the voltage between the driver membrane and one stator is 570 volts, but the voltage between the driver membrane and the other stator is 590 volts.  This imbalance between the voltages causes the membrane to move, producing sound.   Because of the amount of force that can be generated by an electric field, you need the high voltage to make enough sound.  An electrostatic speaker, for example, uses voltages of 6-7 kilovolts on its diaphragm to generate enough sound and even then, they are not known for producing ear-bleeding levels.  That's just the physics of it.

Sep 3, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #9,784 of 25,570
Shifting gears here, has anyone been updated on PriceJapan orders lately? I'm gearing up to buy an Omega 2 and I'm hoping to go through them if they're back up and running.

I still haven't got any response about the order I made on June 16 (fax and email). I was looking forward to return to Stax after 4 years of planars, but it looks like I have to start saving again...

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #9,785 of 25,570
There was a post a few weeks ago about the guy that runs PriceJapan getting out of the hospital. It seemed that orders were being processed but perhaps there is still an issue. I just stick with US retailers - you pay more but at least there is a warranty and a return period.

Sep 4, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #9,786 of 25,570

I still haven't got any response about the order I made on June 16 (fax and email). I was looking forward to return to Stax after 4 years of planars, but it looks like I have to start saving again...

How did you pay?
If you used PayPal a refund is dead easy.
If you used CC, your bank can still arrange a refund, it's not that much more difficult than doing it via PayPal, but it will possibly involve a trip to your branch and your signature on a form.

Sep 4, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #9,787 of 25,570
How did you pay?
If you used PayPal a refund is dead easy.
If you used CC, your bank can still arrange a refund, it's not that much more difficult than doing it via PayPal, but it will possibly involve a trip to your branch and your signature on a form.

I paid by EU bank transfer so I don't think I can get my money back. I've ordered from PJ twice before without problems, so I thought it was safe enough.

Sep 4, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #9,788 of 25,570
I've got nothing personal against you but that post irked me because it was so confusing and incomplete that anybody trying to learn about Stax would probably leave more confused than when they arrived after reading it.

That is better, we all contribute. Much better to expand on posts as required than to attack based on principle. There are folk over at the other place one can ask for total technical breakdown of anything anyone could want to know on this subject.

My very basic description was to a very basic question (keeping it dead simple), thinking the 'Abyss is a ES'. No need to go into longer technical definitions for that level of question IMO.

I used the word panels as the other types of HPs use different terminology, so that would confuse the original poster even more.

Glad we sorted this out.

Sep 4, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #9,789 of 25,570
Has someone tried the SR009 with the Kingsound M-03 portable amp ?  

I like so much my BHSE+SR009 that I wonder how I could get almost tha same SQ when I travel.

is there other Transportable or portable  Electrostatic amps ? 

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #9,790 of 25,570
Has someone tried the SR009 with the Kingsound M-03 portable amp ?  

I like so much my BHSE+SR009 that I wonder how I could get almost tha same SQ when I travel.

is there other Transportable or portable  Electrostatic amps ? 

Good question
Interested
I have the old srd-x pro
It is portable
But portable from the 80s
Which means quite big (8x c type batteries)
Something else around available?

Sep 4, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #9,791 of 25,570
  I like so much my BHSE+SR009 that I wonder how I could get almost the same SQ when I travel.

I just spent over $7K (including NOS tubes) on the BHSE so I sure hope you can't almost get the same SQ from a portable amp. 
confused_face_2.gif

smile.gif

Sep 4, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #9,792 of 25,570
  I just spent over $7K (including NOS tubes) on the BHSE so I sure hope you can't almost get the same SQ from a portable amp. 
confused_face_2.gif

smile.gif

IMO for a more portable system you might be better going solid state (compact amp design) and getting the LCD2s. That is what I would do.

Or try these:
http://www.headfonia.com/baby-stax-take-2-stax-sr-002/

I have 2 setups, but am in 2 houses, not traveling around or listening in hotels.

IMO it would be a tall order to get close to the BHSE and 009s, but something still very good quality could be possible. Personally I hate being away from tunes for too long so I dig your reasoning.

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #9,794 of 25,570

IMO for a more portable system you might be better going solid state (compact amp design) and getting the LCD2s. That is what I would do.

Or try these:
http://www.headfonia.com/baby-stax-take-2-stax-sr-002/

I have 2 setups, but am in 2 houses, not traveling around or listening in hotels.

IMO it would be a tall order to get close to the BHSE and 009s, but something still very good quality could be possible. Personally I hate being away from tunes for too long so I dig your reasoning.

It was @bmichelswho was asking about the portable amp…not me, but thank you anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back