The Stax Thread III
Sep 9, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #9,841 of 25,570
  Interestingly the SR-Omega earpads are vinyl and thus considerably stiffer than the 007/009 pads of any variety.

I spent about 40 hours comparing the 009 and Omega closely (across both the Carbon and T2) and I felt the latter was audibly superior in tone, bass, imaging and resolution.

The 009 sounds more "clear" but this appears to be an issue of hyperclarity/tone as its resolution is certainly inferior.

That's interesting regarding the SR-009 vs. original Omega.  However, I'm not going to invest any money into the OI given that it  is prone to breaking down.  What do you think of the T2 vs. Carbon?  I prefer the T2 obviously.

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #9,842 of 25,570

Much appreciated for your response. Sorry for asking, but what do you mean regarding the highlander treatment. Also on a 1 to 10 for detail retrieval, what would you say it is for your 007 Mk1 compared to the 207.

Highlander just means there can be be only one. A and B them then keep the best one. Otherwise I'd have a horde of headphones.

207 is about a 7 compared to the 007Mk I as a 10. You can tell the difference immediately, even against a noisy background. And that's not to dis the 207. It beat my old planars and stuff I used to own that were double and triple the price of a stax starter set.

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #9,843 of 25,570
That's interesting regarding the SR-009 vs. original Omega.  However, I'm not going to invest any money into the OI given that it  is prone to breaking down.  What do you think of the T2 vs. Carbon?  I prefer the T2 obviously.

Do you still have your R10s? I would honestly feel more uneasy owning one of those...

My recollection is that the Carbon sounds considerably drier and constricted with less depth. The bass via the Carbon also sounded less powerful, extended and defined especially when it came to sub-bass performance with the 009.

The most arresting difference appears to be in the sense of "ambiance" and resolution of spatial cues that only the T2 seems to be able to pull off. I'm not sure this quality of the T2 can be put into measurements but it is something you instantly understand when you hear it.

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #9,844 of 25,570
The 207 was great for the time I had it. I currently have a 404LE and while I never had them at the same time to make a direct comparison I just find the 404LE to be astoundingly good. It's on another level than the 207. So curious as to how a 007 would compare to a 404LE and whether it would be that much better. In other words, would the 007 be the 10/10 and the 404LE the 7/10 or is the gap smaller.

Sep 10, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #9,845 of 25,570
The 207 was great for the time I had it. I currently have a 404LE and while I never had them at the same time to make a direct comparison I just find the 404LE to be astoundingly good. It's on another level than the 207. So curious as to how a 007 would compare to a 404LE and whether it would be that much better. In other words, would the 007 be the 10/10 and the 404LE the 7/10 or is the gap smaller.

Did you have the same amplification with the 207 than the 404 LE?

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #9,846 of 25,570
  On a scale of 1 to 10 for detail retrieval, what would you say it is for your 007 Mk1 compared to the 009 and the 207 if you don't mind me asking? 

009 has the best detail, 007mk1 next and 207 last in that lineup. If you're looking for detail one of the old think membrane lambda pro's is probably king, but might have other aspects you might not like. The new L700 is the best all rounder IMO. 

404LE is one of my all time favs too, it's pretty close to a late edition 404 if you can't find one. 

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #9,849 of 25,570
  Do you still have your R10s? I would honestly feel more uneasy owning one of those...

My recollection is that the Carbon sounds considerably drier and constricted with less depth. The bass via the Carbon also sounded less powerful, extended and defined especially when it came to sub-bass performance with the 009.

The most arresting difference appears to be in the sense of "ambiance" and resolution of spatial cues that only the T2 seems to be able to pull off. I'm not sure this quality of the T2 can be put into measurements but it is something you instantly understand when you hear it.

True about the R10 but it is also a bit overblown regarding the liability.  If you treat them with care and store them in mostly climate control environment ...they are fine IMO.  I used to live in southeast asia and I can see the R10 don't do too well there due to hot and humid condition.

Regarding the T2, I'm with you.  They just sound "right" and "superbly musical".  Just no weakness IMO.  My Carbon is more or less the same way but I do I enjoy it immensely too.  Maybe I'm just a tube guy.

Sep 11, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #9,850 of 25,570
  True about the R10 but it is also a bit overblown regarding the liability.  If you treat them with care and store them in mostly climate control environment ...they are fine IMO.  I used to live in southeast asia and I can see the R10 don't do too well there due to hot and humid condition.

Regarding the T2, I'm with you.  They just sound "right" and "superbly musical".  Just no weakness IMO.  My Carbon is more or less the same way but I do I enjoy it immensely too.  Maybe I'm just a tube guy.

FWIW I think the Omega has at least one or two people that are capable of repairing it, and from what I remember even the R10 had some potential to be saved according to Chinese forums.

To that end I think you owe it to yourself to pick up an Omega if the opportunity arises. The qualities we love about the T2 are extremely synergistic with the Omega, moreso than any other transducer I have tried with it.

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #9,852 of 25,570

All IMO.
I am coming to think in a high end system using HPs and ones that are very fast and transparent like the 009s, having solid state right through to the end may be leading to too much treble energy or sugar on the cake? I don't know why but tubes seem to handle the upper treble smoother than most solid state amps or DACs I have heard. That is not to say there are many fantastic SS amps around, just ones I have heard and less than 15K. The SIC FETs in the Carbon may be the closest to tubes (a quote by you know who) so far. 
i.e. are tubes linear and smoother than FETs?

What does that means?

I think it means tubes are not necessarily rolled off over warm and syrupy devices many seem to think historically. Old design amps (some) can sound rolled off at the extremes and that may have led to this misconception. There is scientific evidence out there that tubes used in a good circuit can have a frequency response way beyond the human hearing spectrum.

I am not a techie, I just listen to what I hear in hifi gear, and I somehow ended up liking and living with tubed DAC designs for the last 15 years, and later adding solid state power amplifiers and speakers and solid state electrostatic amplifiers and Stax HPs on the end of those tubed DACs.

So cut to the chase, I am trying to say I think having some tubes in the mix somewhere, albeit DAC, pre-amplifier or power amplifier or electrostatic amplifier, it seems to make the system more real and an end game setup (for some).

I have enjoyed immensely the Carbon fed by my AMR tubed DAC and using the 009s. It is a slightly warm and a bit polite DAC but the 009s seem to like it a lot. I am hoping my Audio Note DAC 5 Special does the same thing, even better maybe.

Anyway, it would be super interesting to hear a top SS DAC (MSB or TotalDAC maybe) feeding the BHSE and 009s, and pitch that against a tubed NOS DAC (Audio Note or Lampizator maybe) feeding the Carbon and 009s. Maybe it would have more in common as regards sound signature than not?

Lets face it, everyone talks of accuracy and transparency, tech specs, detail detail. But if the various component parts in the system don't get on it leads IMO to AudioGon. The goal IMO is to find the illusive parts that fit together and create magic. That is why I like this hobby and enjoy the chase, even if it nearly bankrupts me....

Sep 11, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #9,853 of 25,570
FWIW I think the Omega has at least one or two people that are capable of repairing it, and from what I remember even the R10 had some potential to be saved according to Chinese forums.

To that end I think you owe it to yourself to pick up an Omega if the opportunity arises. The qualities we love about the T2 are extremely synergistic with the Omega, moreso than any other transducer I have tried with it.

I love my T2, nothing really beats it. But thanks to you I'm probably going to do some Omega hunting!!

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #9,854 of 25,570
I don't like to "voice" systems or paying tons of money for a tube dac/amp with 10% distortion above 1khz.
In my opinion, amplifiers should be neutral and powerful, I like balanced solid states designs, pure class A with no feedback, like Gryphon amps for example.

For example "009 sounds harsh", solution: get 007 or another headphone, the problem is 009 not the partnering equipment.

That's my opinion of course, not the universal truth.

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #9,855 of 25,570

There is an Omega for sale, 9000 euros. My ultimate trifecta is for sale in fact which is the Sony r10, Omega original, and he-90. Sennheiser, Sony and Stax in all their vintage glory. With currency exchange around $40k...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back