The Stax Thread III
Jan 2, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #7,576 of 25,550
  I sold off all of my KGSSHVs and KGST.  Now I only have the KGSSHV Carbon, BHSE, and DIY T2.  Yup, I have to do a better job get ridding of more dynamic amps.

Purk, you sure your Carbon is fully burnt in yet? I am thinking 4 weeks plus for the big caps and transformer. Previous experiences with various amps both tube and SS has been 4-8 weeks before the sound signature settled down i.e. the ultimate level. Before 4 weeks for example it can be a roller coaster with crushed dynamics and weaker bass amongst other strange sonic changes.

I have also found running them 24/7 then a few switch offs, back on the next day helps as well.

I now use a power regenerator for the whole systems mains supply. I can now can get 3 am quality (possibly better) all day as my mains here is a bit rough at peak times.

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #7,578 of 25,550
Birgir convinced me to try the SR007 (current 2.5) saying that it would beat the 009 and he was right. The 007 is just about as insightful as the 009 without the fear factor of the sudden twinge of something going over the top.
The SR007 is relaxing in the sense that I can just concentrate on every little detail and focus and stare right into the musical components and appreciate the details and stat-quickness and musicality w/o having to worry about pain and suffering.
If I go back and forth, the 007 always wins over the 009 now.
I use his Kgss-hv mini w/the Sanyo 400V core. It's very comfortable and light too, and I really like the physical design as it fits nicely  like an good old familiar pair of shoes.
I think the 15 years of tweaking Stax has done on the SR007 shows. (I actually was one of the 1st purchasers of the original 007 back in 1999, but sold it several years later since it was sort of uncomfortable with too-thin pads.)

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #7,579 of 25,550
  Birgir convinced me to try the SR007 (current 2.5) saying that it would beat the 009 and he was right. The 007 is just about as insightful as the 009 without the fear factor of the sudden twinge of something going over the top.
The SR007 is relaxing in the sense that I can just concentrate on every little detail and focus and stare right into the musical components and appreciate the details and stat-quickness and musicality w/o having to worry about pain and suffering.
If I go back and forth, the 007 always wins over the 009 now.
I use his Kgss-hv mini w/the Sanyo 400V core. It's very comfortable and light too, and I really like the physical design as it fits nicely  like an good old familiar pair of shoes.
I think the 15 years of tweaking Stax has done on the SR007 shows. (I actually was one of the 1st purchasers of the original 007 back in 1999, but sold it several years later since it was sort of uncomfortable with too-thin pads.)

That's the silver Japanese imported SR-007?  This does seem to be the consensus now.  I think I'm pretty much settled on the SR-007A from PJ then.

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #7,581 of 25,550

Ah, thanks! I was indeed referring to the test 2 years ago. I wasn't aware of the second one. Could you direct me to it? Thanks :)

Originally Posted by AnakChan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't think there ever was a dedicated thread to that. You may find snippets of it in the Electra, BHSE, or even this thread unfortunately. We all kinda got lazy and didn't really post our thoughts in full a dedicated thread.

Originally Posted by arnaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There must be variations between builds as the birgir built kgst I heard sounds nothing like what you're describing. We were comparing it to stock srm727, level matched and kgst was significantly smoother sounding with the sr009.
Main main issue with it was lack of dynamics relative to electra and bhse.

Yesterday, anakchan brought his electra over to my place and we did another round between his amp with rolled 6sn7 tubes and my bhse (xf4 DD nos el34s). Here again, bhse felt more dynamic, actually sounded almost louder than electra even though levels were matched.

I liked the electra's midrange, very rich but to a fault as I felt the bhse extending at both ends of the spectrum, having more kick and sparkle and sounding more expansive (deeper , more air between instruments).

Cheers,
Arnaud

@aphex27, you may be interested in arnaud's quick thoughts  of the Electra vs the BHSE as compared on New Year's Eve  few days back. This time I had the following on my Electra, ECC32 for 1st stage (new NOS matched), STC CV1988 for 2nd stage (new NOS matched), and the output stage are XF2s (same as per June's comparison). Personally I found moving from the EH & Tung Sol 6SN7s to the Mullards & STC were more fluid and dynamic whilst the EH & Tung Sols were somewhat more dry. I've now stolen arnaud's unused Ken Rad VT-231s for the 2nd stage to compare against the STC and the trebles are extended with more shimmer and air.

Although with tube rolling I personally feel the gap between the Electra and BHSE have narrowed, as per arnaud, the BHSE still has the extension on both ends of the spectrum, sounds more expansive and has a greater impact on the notes whilst the BHSE with Mullard/STC/XF2s were more "mellow lush".

However the lesson learnt for me is the Electra is quite scaleable with tube rolling on so many of its stages. So is the BHSE too though with the different EL34 tubes available - but arnaud can comment more about that.

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #7,582 of 25,550
Thanks for the detailed post and advice @AnakChan :) Highly appreciated..
However, since my last post I've received the Abyss and at the threat of being stoned to death in this thread :wink: I have to reluctantly (I love the Stax aesthetic/philosophy) but categorically admit that the Abyss is a far superior headphone in every single respect IMO. So, unfortunately no more Stax (or anything else) for me :)  

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #7,583 of 25,550
  Thanks for the detailed post and advice @AnakChan :) Highly appreciated..
Since my last post I've received the Abyss and at the threat of being stoned to death in this thread :wink: I have to reluctantly (I love the Stax aesthetic/philosophy) but categorically admit that the Abyss is a far superior headphone in every single respect IMO. So, unfortunately no more Stax (or anything else) for me :)  

That's certainly a sign you haven't done your homework properly while exploring stats world lol :wink:.

Enjoy your Abyss, to each his own jewel :).

arnaud

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #7,584 of 25,550

That's certainly a sign you haven't done your homework properly while exploring stats world lol :wink:.

Enjoy your Abyss, to each his own jewel :).

arnaud

Oh Arnaud...you've invested too much in this, I would never hope my words would change your mind :)

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #7,585 of 25,550
Begone heathen.

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #7,587 of 25,550

Sorry Stax-cult-master :wink: I'm gone

You Abyss'ers are a punch of pansies. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 2, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #7,589 of 25,550

Oh Arnaud...you've invested too much in this, I would never hope my words would change your mind :)

Been in this hobby for ~ 15 years, have owned and sample a fair share of headphones and am fairly confident with the choices I've made over the years...
Also, as added bonus, it's nice to be able to buy a phone and not have to worry about paying half the cost of the can or more for a friggin cable upgrade :)

Jan 2, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #7,590 of 25,550

Been in this hobby for ~ 15 years, have owned and sample a fair share of headphones and am fairly confident with the choices I've made over the years...
Also, as added bonus, it's nice to be able to buy a phone and not have to worry about paying half the cost of the can or more for a friggin cable upgrade :)

I understand completely, and I've thoroughly enjoyed your posts and admired your depth of knowledge on this hobby of ours over the years..
I'm just stating my opinion..the Abyss fixes everything that is wrong with the 009..it's faster, cleaner, deeper and most importantly: the music is not next to your eyes, it's in front of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back