The Stax Thread III
Jan 4, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #7,606 of 25,850
Between the BHSE and KGSSHV with the SR-009, which pairing is more suitable for metal?

Hi Guys

I thought I would repeat this from the Carbon thread, in this thread, as I think it is a good topic.
Not sure what server what server / CDP you use, but on my Mac in Audirvana+ there are EQ filters which are 32/64 bit and don't appear to affect sound quality in the usual negative way EQ can. So you could technically set the EQ to suit your personal tastes.

Headphones IMO can and do reproduce excellent bass, and Stats are capable of it as well such as the 007 and 009. But the speed of the drivers in Stats can give the impression of less bass. I was a DJ for some years, and big speaker systems are slow and create overhang, giving the impression of bigger bass depth and impact. There is also 'pressurising the room' When you have a system big enough or a mid sized system in a smaller room you can easily get a real pressure going on. It gives the 'in the chest' type of bass impact and gets you fired up so to speak, well not on Barbara Streisand, but in Rammstein YES. This pressurising a room is what happens in a car with even a basic sound system.

In headphones, I used to crave the bass extension and excitement of this aspect when I had the Lambda Nova Signatures. It wasn't till I got the 007s, then a better Stax amp that it finally arrived. So, IMO you can get superb bass extension and excitement with the 007 and 009, but it comes in a different flavour to Planars and more traditional headphones with central magnets and cones. 

IMO the traditional speaker design is flawed as it is too slow, has colourations and creates feedback down the cables. It is our ears and brains that expect that slow and thumping sound, as we have grown up with it in Clubs and on Dad's radiogram. I really believe Stats are more accurate, playing what is there, not adding something else.

If you like the club sound yourself, then I would go for the LCD-3. Maybe the Abyss would be halfway between the 009 and the LCD-3 to suit your tastes. I am unsure if the faster 009s will be what you are after. You can however grow into the sound of the 007s and 009s IMO. A kind of 'unlearn what you have learnt' maybe?

Hope this helps you.

Jan 4, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #7,607 of 25,850
I've assumed something similar there : http://www.head-fi.org/t/786512/sennheiser-orpheus-successor-the-sennheiser-he1060-hev1060-first-look/615#post_12063102

With this perspective, acoustic music is indeed more accurate in the bass on e-stat...but you're still lacking the body feeling.
Considering artificial music, slow bass with more emphasis are more accurate, since amplifiers (concert, guitar, bass, etc...) have always dynamic speakers and the bass level on this kind of music makes the body feeling very important.

But that's no more than one random dude (me) assumption, YMMV, and so on...

Ali

Jan 4, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #7,609 of 25,850
  I can feel real air pressure like bass from EQed 009.
I was really surprised how deep EQed 009 bass sounds. EQed 009 bass are very very good IMO.
BEST bass I have ever heard from any headphones IMO.

You like that DEQ2496 ?
I have a Carbon + 009, been thinking about trying out EQ.

I also notice you put the DEQ in front of your DAC, is this recommended? Also, I can only assume that the DEQ can both EQ a digital + analog signal? I ask, because if the DEQ is in front of the DAC, it must have digital passthrough..?

Jan 4, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #7,610 of 25,850
Can anyone share if a Megatron is worth the time and money to build ?

Do you already have a builder or capable of building it yourself?  It is more along the lines of a complicated/dangerous amp to build.  If you don't, I think it might be tough to find someone and, at that point, you will probably have a tuff time of finding someone.  If you can do the megatron, you might as well consider going DIY T2 and spend a little extra time tracking down some of the harder to obtain parts.  If you don't have someone, you might put both the megatron and DIY T2 out of your mind :)

Jan 4, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #7,611 of 25,850
Nopants had/has a Megatron. And I do believe has started a T2. He's also a nice dude so perhaps hook up with him and see if he'll do a commissioned build.

Jan 4, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #7,614 of 25,850
all the kgst boards have a pot to adjust the plate current.

to adjust them requires a voltmeter (preferably a pair of voltmeters) and after adjusting the current you have to
adjust the offset to ground and possibly touch up the balance.

same thing for the kgsshv-carbon

Jan 4, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #7,615 of 25,850
Do you already have a builder or capable of building it yourself?  It is more along the lines of a complicated/dangerous amp to build.  If you don't, I think it might be tough to find someone and, at that point, you will probably have a tuff time of finding someone.  If you can do the megatron, you might as well consider going DIY T2 and spend a little extra time tracking down some of the harder to obtain parts.  If you don't have someone, you might put both the megatron and DIY T2 out of your mind :)

Good point there. To be honest I'm quite put off by the number of tubes required to drive the Megatron considering the tropical climate in Malaysia! And yes I have neither the skills nor the time to attempt a build myself but was actually asking on behalf of a friend of mine. Thanks for the advice anyway :blush:

Jan 4, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #7,617 of 25,850
  You like that DEQ2496 ?
I have a Carbon + 009, been thinking about trying out EQ.

I also notice you put the DEQ in front of your DAC, is this recommended? Also, I can only assume that the DEQ can both EQ a digital + analog signal? I ask, because if the DEQ is in front of the DAC, it must have digital passthrough..?

yes I use DEQ2496 as a digital EQer. DEQ2496 have optical Toslink in and out.
I can recommend to use DEQ2496 for 009. you can make 009 sound very very yummy!
DEQ2496 have digital EQ bypass on/off switch, you can hear difference of EQ on and off.
DEQ2496 can do both analog XLR in/out and digital Toslink in/out. I recommend to use digital in/out. due to less distortion.
ofcouse You can hear the difference of DAC/amps with EQed  009. 

Jan 4, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #7,618 of 25,850

to adjust them requires a voltmeter (preferably a pair of voltmeters) and after adjusting the current you have to

He might have one of Burgir's with first run non-cascode KGST boards (like mine).Those did not have your latest bias adjust feature. Even so, easy enough to add. :D

Jan 5, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #7,619 of 25,850

Hi Kevin
So the latest version of the full size Carbon boards has an adjustment pot for the Ma? I read in various posts the Ma affects the upper frequency response.
So using a Carbon with the 009s for example, such a feature would be really useful. 

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #7,620 of 25,850
latest version of the full size carbon board has adjustable cascade current sources
98 millimeter board for vertical mounting in a 3U, or the other board for horizontal mounting in a 2U
buildable as 400 or 450v version with golden reference high voltage power supply, or 500v version with the older power supply with stacked caps

carbon board available with 6ca7/el34 as the outputs replacing the cree sic-fets also with adjustable cascade current sources
horizontal mounting with the tubes sticking up.
same power supply options
for those people that want to roll tubes as well as rolling plate currents.

current kgst boards with adjustable cascade current sources, 6s4a or 6ra6 (different boards)

either carbon board usable as the nanotube driver board, second rev of nanotube output with local current adjust
feedback either local or global from work by sorenb (thanks) there will be a 6ca7 version of the circlotron output stage
board.

diy-t2 with current production parts testing now obsolete fets 2sj79/2sk216 replaced with ksa1220/ksc2690 and 2sa1486 replaced with stn9360

kgbh with current production parts testing now obsolete fets 2sj79/2sk216 replaced with ksa1220/ksc2690 and cascade
current sources.

2016 going to be a good year for diy electrostat amplifiers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back