The Stax Thread III
Jan 7, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #7,637 of 25,472
Tyll will report about Stax's new can next week.

Stax was inside the Edifier booth this year, and their set-up was very nice. I'll have pix and more details of their new cans in my full report next week
Read more at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ces-2016-day-one

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #7,639 of 25,472
  He wont be doing enough carbons other than for his friends and himself.

Geoff enjoys challenges. I'm sure if there is demand he's up to do a run. Unless I hear otherwise from him.

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #7,641 of 25,472

I've actually read those threads and was just making a point.  Those people don't have a website like Mjolnir-audio and they probably don't have many already-built amps (even HeadAmp doesn't).  Trying to purchase an amp from many other builders requires you to be well known on that forum or just PMing them at the right time (if you can guess when that is).  Also paradoxper said "better pricing" than Birgir, but your statement of "5 grand and be done with it" contradicts that (every single amp on Mjolnir-audio.com is under $5k).

So the point I'm trying to make is that options are good, I do agree with paradoxper on that and so should everyone else (even Stax amps have a place) but most DIY builds aren't that easy to acquire.  There's a big difference between a store versus a DIYer you have to stalk on forums and meet certain requirements in order to make a purchase.

so how much do you think an amp is worth then? parts for a carbon is probably 1 grant ... probably 2,5 grant for the BHSE(rk50/NOS)

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #7,642 of 25,472
That's pretty stupid.

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #7,643 of 25,472
  so how much do you think an amp is worth then? parts for a carbon is probably 1 grant ... probably 2,5 grant for the BHSE(rk50/NOS)

I have no idea.  Your estimates are also lower than every other I've seen, but I wouldn't know.  I'd never try to make statements about these things as I'm not knowledgeable enough.  

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #7,644 of 25,472

It is almost impossible to value, as any DIY builder will charge (probably) different rates. Also the complexity of the case, and there are some variances in the parts and make of the Transformer for example. Best thing is find a builder and get a quote with specifics. No point in trying to guess here I would say. The only listing I know of that has prices up is Birgir's website.

The other option is look for a second hand unit, they do come up now and then.

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #7,645 of 25,472
Also supply and demand comes into play along with the builders opinion of the value of his time and effort.

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #7,646 of 25,472
Come on guys, this is not a science project.
Of course you can go nuts on parts and what not ... but a carbon build from Vishay/Wima/Panasonic/Nichicon/silver plated Belden etc. stuff...a Modushop chassie and some decent XLR/IEC and an Alps rk27 or TKD + a ToroIDY trafo probably stay below 1 grant total build cost ... at least mine did 
Doing a BH is nothing different, however the tubes makes a huge impact on the final build; I use brown xf2's but I've seen several reporting good results (comparing it to the carbon) using a lot less expensive tubes.

Buying from Spritzer is a safe bet. No hassle, no fancy chassie, excellent build quality, stuff is working as its supposed to and if you, for some reason run into trouble my experience is that he does everything he can to help you out. From various posting it looks like Justin is just about the same.

If you for some reason really cannot find someone to build your amp, and want cheaper then look at the classifieds, or grab an iron and DIY ...

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #7,647 of 25,472
This discussion devolved into convolution.

Birgir is a purveyor of these great designs, as such, we can all submit that the Carbon is worth up to $4600. Further, the point was
other builders can target in at an even lower price point and that would include more exotic parts and involved casing.

Again, this isn't to rail against Birgir, simple fact that he's in Iceland and has higher costs. It's all reasonable.

So let's drop the DIY BS and use our critical thinking skills. 

Remember when Justin said he'd build T2's for $20k+ or that his HV would cost the difference of EL34's tubes. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #7,648 of 25,472
Seems like a lot of poop being tossed out as fact all the sudden, but perhaps I'm mistaken.  I'd be interesting to see your $1K carbon and hear more about it, soren-brix.  Care to post some pics for us?

HS

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #7,649 of 25,472
  This discussion devolved into convolution.

Birgir is a purveyor of these great designs, as such, we can all submit that the Carbon is worth up to $4600. Further, the point was
other builders can target in at an even lower price point and that would include more exotic parts and involved casing.

Again, this isn't to rail against Birgir, simple fact that he's in Iceland and has higher costs. It's all reasonable.

So let's drop the DIY BS and use our critical thinking skills. 

Remember when Justin said he'd build T2's for $20k+ or that his HV would cost the difference of EL34's tubes. 

... indeed a show case of "critical thinking" ... honestly I can't really get my dense head around this targeting a lower price point while including more exotic parts and involved casing ....do you mean assembling being on the southern hemisphere while actually sitting in the chassie? 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back