The Stax Thread III
Jan 5, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #7,621 of 25,564
I like to support Birgir (aka, Mjolnir stat amps). He's an irreplaceable asset to the Stax phone community and deserves our business. We'd all be left high and dry for a reliable source of good amps, much less great ones like the ones he builds. (This especially true since even the BHSE is going away.) He's also a great and trustworthy guy personally. So I suggest buying from him just on principle.

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #7,622 of 25,564
  I like to support Birgir (aka, Mjolnir stat amps). He's an irreplaceable asset to the Stax phone community and deserves our business. We'd all be left high and dry for a reliable source of good amps, much less great ones like the ones he builds. (This especially true since even the BHSE is going away.) He's also a great and trustworthy guy personally. So I suggest buying from him just on principle.

For sure, he's extremely helpful.  I currently have a Chinese clone KGSS which he upgraded into a respectable KGSS (not while it was under my ownership though).  I'm eager to see how it handles an SR-007.  It won't be perfect obviously, but considering I'm coming from a K7xx and DT 880 I think I'll be pleased.  I fully suspect my end game amp to be whatever his top tier available amp is at the time.

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #7,623 of 25,564
Yep. I just have his 1st generation kgssHV mini and it's a #$%&*!! great amp and built like a tank and runs nice and cool to boot. Very very nice w/007 and 009. Leagues above Stax amps, no kidding.
No straining, boom, sizzle, screaming or artificial notes. Just nice control and refinement. It's so musical I don't even have the upgrade bug for this.

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #7,624 of 25,564

Yep. Birgir is a great guy and knows his stuff. I bought a used Exstata from him last year that he upgraded with a BHSE power supply. For now I just use it with a set of Koss', but I'll get a better amp from him when I finally upgrade to a pair of L700 or SR-007. Shipping from Iceland to the US is also quick and pretty reasonable.

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #7,625 of 25,564
Agree. Unless you want to build your own amps, buy from Spritzer  at MjolnirAudio.
No reason to buy Stax amps or anything else, really.

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #7,626 of 25,564
I'd disagree. Not because I don't respect Birgir. More choices for the 'consumer' is a good thing. We should all be very appreciative of the mafia and the fact
that Birgir has on offer a sort of stock of amplifiers.

There are however, quite a few great builders, which offer variety, customization and better pricing. 

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #7,627 of 25,564
  Agree. Unless you want to build your own amps, buy from Spritzer  at MjolnirAudio.
No reason to buy Stax amps or anything else, really.

Not on that subject, but the none Stax amplifiers I have heard do tend to sound better. Having said that, the availability of the Stax amps and reliability and simplicity still appeals to the masses I guess. It is just, if you want more, you have to look elsewhere. The guys who are serious usually end up following that route.

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #7,628 of 25,564
  I'd disagree. Not because I don't respect Birgir. More choices for the 'consumer' is a good thing. We should all be very appreciative of the mafia and the fact
that Birgir has on offer a sort of stock of amplifiers.  

There are however, quite a few great builders, which offer variety, customization and better pricing. 

I also respect Birgir as well and agree that his build quality is first rated.  However, there are several others builders who are just as capable...so don't rule them out.  I sure wish we can replay KG some how.  I really like to buy him couple of really good meals when I finally meet him.  Without him, our beloved stats headphones will never sound this nice...and many will dismiss them as overpriced and not as good sounding as some highend dynamic headphones.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #7,629 of 25,564

Do these other builders even publicly offer their services?  If someone could post some contact information that'd be much appreciated, unless these are the people who you have to know and don't build amps for just anyone (in which case mentioning them wouldn't really be worthwhile in this discussion).

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #7,630 of 25,564
They are not on Head-Fi.

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #7,631 of 25,564
  They are not on Head-Fi.

I was also referred to UK based Head-fier "headinclouds"  when I was looking for my first 'stat amp. Supposedly his work is also first rate, although I don't know what he's building these days, or if he just builds to order, etc.

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #7,632 of 25,564

I was also referred to UK based Head-fier "headinclouds"  when I was looking for my first 'stat amp. Supposedly his work is also first rate, although I don't know what he's building these days, or if he just builds to order, etc.

Yup. Geoff is a great dude. I believe his KGSShv and KGST runs are over but he may be doing a Carbon run.

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #7,633 of 25,564

Do these other builders even publicly offer their services?  If someone could post some contact information that'd be much appreciated, unless these are the people who you have to know and don't build amps for just anyone (in which case mentioning them wouldn't really be worthwhile in this discussion).

Look at the other place, and while you're at it do help yourself by reading the "I'm on a roll KGSShv" thread as a minimum before reaching out for a builder. Besides from making you a qualified buyer, it will also give you some insight to and knowledge on various things that you didn't know of, but is important to you none the less ...
if you don't give a ****, and just want an amp, find 5 grant and be done with it ... basically you only need to choose between SicFet/rk27 or EL34/rk50 then ...

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #7,634 of 25,564
I look at Birgir and Kevin like AMD. They headway r&d and sell their own stuff. Third parties can take the designs, and are able to tweak / maybe find cheaper / alternative parts. 
Other builders would be kin to xfx, msi, evga, taking the main boards and designs from AMD, packing it at a cheaper price, with bonuses like factory oc etc... 

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #7,635 of 25,564
  Look at the other place, and while you're at it do help yourself by reading the "I'm on a roll KGSShv" thread as a minimum before reaching out for a builder. Besides from making you a qualified buyer, it will also give you some insight to and knowledge on various things that you didn't know of, but is important to you none the less ...
if you don't give a ****, and just want an amp, find 5 grant and be done with it ... basically you only need to choose between SicFet/rk27 or EL34/rk50 then ...

I've actually read those threads and was just making a point.  Those people don't have a website like Mjolnir-audio and they probably don't have many already-built amps (even HeadAmp doesn't).  Trying to purchase an amp from many other builders requires you to be well known on that forum or just PMing them at the right time (if you can guess when that is).  Also paradoxper said "better pricing" than Birgir, but your statement of "5 grand and be done with it" contradicts that (every single amp on Mjolnir-audio.com is under $5k).

So the point I'm trying to make is that options are good, I do agree with paradoxper on that and so should everyone else (even Stax amps have a place) but most DIY builds aren't that easy to acquire.  There's a big difference between a store versus a DIYer you have to stalk on forums and meet certain requirements in order to make a purchase.

Quote:
  I look at Birgir and Kevin like AMD. They headway r&d and sell their own stuff. Third parties can take the designs, and are able to tweak / maybe find cheaper / alternative parts. 
Other builders would be kin to xfx, msi, evga, taking the main boards and designs from AMD, packing it at a cheaper price, with bonuses like factory oc etc... 

That's true.  They (especially Kevin Gilmore) create the initial design, others take this design and do what they want with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back