The Stax Thread III
Oct 27, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #6,871 of 25,682

So although the SR-L700 sounded more balanced to you than the SR-009 and SR-007 from those particular STAX amps, would you say that the SR-L700 from the STAX amp(s) sounded better to you in any way than the SR-009 and SR-007 from the best amps? (I don't recall which ones you've used.) As far as tonal balance goes, this isn't as much of an issue for me, due to the fact that a parametric equalizer will do more to achieve an accurate frequency response than anything else. I prefer to focus on aspects you can't tweak with EQ.

I wouldn't dare speculate on how the L700 would sound on amps I'm familiar with. (e.g. my opinions vary most of the folks that post here - I think the SR-009 is a real sloth driven by the SRM-007tA, and much better on the SRM-727A. Likewise, I feel the/DonnyHifi's KGST decently nice over the SRM-727a but not as glorifying as how I've read about it on the forums here & elsewhere. I however do agree the/Arnaud's XF4 driven BHSE stands on its own). I have an Electra with XF2 on the output stage (Tung Sol & Electro Harmonix 6SN7s in the 2nd & 1st stages respectively).

Personally, I don't EQ.

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #6,872 of 25,682
  I wouldn't dare speculate on how the L700 would sound on amps I'm familiar with. (e.g. my opinions vary most of the folks that post here - I think the SR-009 is a real sloth driven by the SRM-007tA, and much better on the SRM-727A. Likewise, I feel the/DonnyHifi's KGST decently nice over the SRM-727a but not as glorifying as how I've read about it on the forums here & elsewhere. I however do agree the/Arnaud's XF4 driven BHSE stands on its own). I have an Electra with XF2 on the output stage (Tung Sol & Electro Harmonix 6SN7s in the 2nd & 1st stages respectively).

That's not what I meant. I mean, based on your memory, would you say that the SR-009 driven from the best amps sounds better than the SR-L700 from the STAX amp? Or does the SR-L700 do certain things better? Just trying to get a better feel of your experiences.

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #6,874 of 25,682

That's not what I meant. I mean, based on your memory, would you say that the SR-009 driven from the best amps sounds better than the SR-L700 from the STAX amp? Or does the SR-L700 do certain things better? Just trying to get a better feel of your experiences.

I'm rather conservative when it comes to "based on memory" which to me would lead to "speculation" and as mentioned before, I wouldn't dare speculate.

If I get a loaner/the L700 at home one fine day, I'd be more than happy to provide a comparison thoughts the same setup in a more controlled environment.

Oct 28, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #6,878 of 25,682
Got my SR-L700 and am listening. Interesting, quite a different Lambda. More room in the earpieces, no more ear pressing against the grill I think, yay! Also oddly I can't find any markings for L-R, I have too use the dashed line on the cord to determine. Maybe it's there somewhere but I can't find it. 

Initial impressions? SR-009 crossed with a Lambda. Three dimensional holographic presentation a-la 009, yet with the Lambda presentation. More L-R distance and seperation than with any Lambda I've heard (i.e. all of them). Also doesn't seem to have the energy of the 009 which I've not gotten used to. More like a traditional Lambda in this respect. 

Good stuff!

Oct 28, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #6,881 of 25,682
The new stuff is live! (But only available for pre-order until next month.)

SR-L700: $1,400
https://www.staxusa.com/earspeaker/stax-sr-l700.html

SR-L500: $700
https://www.staxusa.com/earspeaker/stax-sr-l500.html

SRM-353X: $925
https://www.staxusa.com/driver/stax-srm-353x.html

SRS-5100 (SR-L500 + SRM-353X): $1,650
https://www.staxusa.com/system/stax-srs-5100.html

Not too much higher than PriceJapan, but I'd still go with PJ, personally.

Oct 28, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #6,882 of 25,682
  Got my SR-L700 and am listening. Interesting, quite a different Lambda. More room in the earpieces, no more ear pressing against the grill I think, yay! Also oddly I can't find any markings for L-R, I have too use the dashed line on the cord to determine. Maybe it's there somewhere but I can't find it. 

Initial impressions? SR-009 crossed with a Lambda. Three dimensional holographic presentation a-la 009, yet with the Lambda presentation. More L-R distance and seperation than with any Lambda I've heard (i.e. all of them). Also doesn't seem to have the energy of the 009 which I've not gotten used to. More like a traditional Lambda in this respect. 

Good stuff!

How is the comfort compared to the SR-009?  For example, does the SR-L700 have more clamping force, or are the pads too thin that your ears touch the driver?  Thanks!

Oct 28, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #6,883 of 25,682

Good stuff!

Yep, this is my next headphone.  Well... not counting the one I'm getting tomorrow.  I'm going to go with PriceJapan, since I'd still save a few hundred bucks.

Oct 28, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #6,884 of 25,682

How is the comfort compared to the SR-009?  For example, does the SR-L700 have more clamping force, or are the pads too thin that your ears touch the driver?  Thanks!

Less clamping, more room, more wiggle room. The 009 kind of suction onto your ears and are a perfect fit (but they feel first class), these are more loosey-goosey. Which you prefer is personal, I like both for different reasons. I like the 009 initially, but long term listening it starts to feel a little constrictive. Conversely these don't feel as comfortable when I first put them on but seem to work better after an hour or two. 

As I said above unlike every other Lambda I've tried, these are the first ones where my ear lobes do not touch the driver grills. Overall there seems to be more room. The plastic is quite different too, much like the 207 plastic, no more Stax fart. 

So far listening on a KGST + ED-1, classical music. The sound stage is much wider/bigger than any Lambda. I have a 307, but never felt the need to get a 507 since the driver is the same AFAIK. So when this was introduced as a "Professional Lambda" I jumped on it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back