The Stax Thread III
Jan 4, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #4,097 of 25,502
mulveling, get a Megatron 
biggrin.gif

Yes...much as I love my KGSShv, visions of a Megatron or a T2 or even a BHSE torture me at night. Haven't actually heard a Megatron yet (it's about the only cool thing Purk doesn't own), but I imagine it would be somewhere between a BHSE and T2 on the awesomeness spectrum, at least.

As in: one of many!? 
blink.gif

Edit: this seems appropriate...

Thanks to Purk, I've now heard five different builds of KGSShv. All the major variants: IXYS 500V, Sanyo 450V, 400V mini, 400V almost mini, off-board, on-board, high current, etc. The KGSShv is simply a wonderful design.

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #4,099 of 25,502
After 3 nights with my new 009s, I already have a strong preference, but  I've stopped comparing with my 007 mk1s on BHSE now and will just enjoy listening to music for an extended period..... I'll report back in a few weeks time.

After 3-ish weeks of living solely with my new 009s, I went back to my much loved 007 Mk1s to confirm the winner (as a one-headphone-fits-all kinda guy, there can only be one winner). My impressions of the two 'phones at the end of this "trial" were the same as at the beginning: the 009s are clearly better on just about any SQ parameter I can think of (bar one consideration). I mentioned before that comparing these two in terms of tonal brightness/darkness is a gross oversimplification, so here I'll cover a couple of parameters not mentioned as often:

The 009's have simply stunning lower mid to bass performance. They're pretty stunning higher up too, but the clarity and focus in the lower mid to bass regions really highlights the 007s main weaknesses IMO, making the latter seem thick and muddy in comparison - in fact, quite hard to go back to. It's not a tonal thing, it's about clarity, focus, transparency, dynamics.

Others have said that the 009s have a bigger sound stage, which is true, but what I particularly noticed was how clearly all the secondary images were laid out within that larger sound stage, which gave them more equal billing with the main central vocal image. This leads me to the one consideration: It's quite easy to get  distracted by all that extra secondary detail - and thereby forget to listen to the actual musical performance. With the 007s (and just about every other 'phone I've heard) the secondary images recede relatively backstage to the central vocals, so are less likely to distract.

The solution is quite simple: stop marveling at the details and start following the musical performance - I've made this mental switch a number of times mid-track and the extra detail then merely serves to enhance the performance.

So, are the 009s perfect? Not quite. I'd still like them to have a slightly darker overall presentation, and I'm not the only one who's unimpressed by that over-sized plastic arc mechanism. And highly panned left or right images feel like they're being directly injected into my ear. But for the foreseeable future, they're perfect enough for me. My 007s have been long-term relegated to their storage case, as the best emergency back-up headphones ever.

YMMV. I listen at modest levels (mid-70s-80s db), my hearing tails off after 13KHz, and the rest of my system has been carefully chosen to control excessive brightness. As others have said, the 009s are transparent enough to show up deficiencies elsewhere in the chain.

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #4,100 of 25,502

I agree with the majority of your impressions. I would however not prefer the 009s to be darker sounding. But this is, I guess, as much preference as it is system dependent. If there's a comparative downside to the 009s, for me, it's not a comparison within the electrostatic headphones realm. I would prefer them to be more visceral sounding, more akin to speakers or some planar headphones. Not easy to describe.

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #4,101 of 25,502
Megatron sounds better than the KGSSHV. I have listened to the BHSE many times, but have not compared it directly with the BHSE, although I believe they are equals.

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #4,102 of 25,502
  @mulveling , regarding the KGSSHv, were you able to hear discernible differences between a 400V and 450V, for example?

Yes; my favorite with SR-009 is the 450V. It's not night-and-day, but it's notably the warmest of them. Paired with a slightly warm DAC (Eximus DP-1), the cumulative result has the 009 nailing my ideals of neutrality, whereas other setups have it as various shades of mildly bright (still very good though). It's definitely debatable whether this is something you want to do to the 009 -- fighting a transducer's natural tonality too much is almost always a bad thing -- but I've been liking the result for a while now.

As you can imagine, this setup is quite suboptimal for the 007 Mk I -- way too warm/dark. I do like the 500V builds I've heard with that headphone (and also a NAD M51 over Eximus there too), but the optimal 009 pairing is a higher priority for me because I like the 009 best. 007 is where the BHSE really shines, though. 

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #4,104 of 25,502
So, are the 009s perfect? Not quite. I'd still like them to have a slightly darker overall presentation, and I'm not the only one who's unimpressed by that over-sized plastic arc mechanism.

I was also unimpressed with that plastic arc mechanism, not so much with how it works, but with how it looks, which is why I did something about it.

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #4,105 of 25,502
Megatron is certainly a step up from the KGSSHV, and I think it's better suited for the 009s

Also a space heater, but what isn't 

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #4,106 of 25,502
I can't comment on the Megatron, but I am very happy with my KGSShv 450v 10 amp off-board. It is quite a warm amp as I compared it directly to David's BHSE and they were very close tonally, but with different flavours. Both were top SQ. The 009s are so transparent I think you need not so much a warm source, though that may help, but a very smooth source especially in the treble region. I guess the same would apply to big expensive speakers, a revealing transducer to play what is there, no compromises or masking of the source.

IMO a lot of DACs may be at fault on 009 rigs. I had problems with my system for years before I got the 007s then then 009s. It was just too digital sounding. There are some great DACs out there, but many that are so so, too Hi-fi sounding IMO. The stat amp plays a big part, but once you get to the level of the BHSE or KGSShv it gets to be less of an issue than the source I think. No doubt others will disagree, but it is what I have experienced myself in this absorbing (and expensive) hobby. FWIW I would look at that, the DAC, the 009s to me are perfect, the sound can be changed a lot or tweaked a bit with a source change, it depends what you are after or how far away it is to your idea of perfection for your type of music.

The 009s just seem to bang it out no matter what type of music is fed to them. I think they are a remarkable device, possibly a milestone in music products, as big as the original Orpheus was in it's day, maybe bigger, as more people are buying and enjoying the 009s. It is not the mile high exclusive club, rather the regular music lover who buys such a headphone. And unlike that headphone, it is being enjoyed on various stat amps.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #4,107 of 25,502
I agree DACs have an essential role to the results out of very transparent headphones/amps. My experience with the same KGSSHV but swapping the PWD2 with the Theta Gen V A (R2R DAC), I am finding the 009s react immediately and the textures and tonality are at a whole different level. It is a very musically satisfying experience.

That said I still like the PWD2 for all it does well.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #4,108 of 25,502
  I agree DACs have an essential role to the results out of very transparent headphones/amps. My experience with the same KGSSHV but swapping the PWD2 with the Theta Gen V A (R2R DAC), I am finding the 009s react immediately and the textures and tonality are at a whole different level. It is a very musically satisfying experience.

I agree Negura.

On the Theta DAC, Im not sure it is R-2R?
http://hometheaterreview.com/theta-pro-gen-v-a-digital-to-analog-converter-reviewed/

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #4,109 of 25,502

I could not possibly agree more.  I recently picked up a vintage R2R DAC, the Proceed PDP-2 with replaced caps and other various upgrades, and while it was never considered TOTL when it was originally manufactured, it absolutely beats the pants off of all the delta-sigma DACs I've rolled through and it is clearly better than the Metrum Hex, which I recently sold.

My SR-009 through my KGSSHV was a completely different beast in terms of tonality and texture-wise on the PDP-2.  My HD800 (driven by the ECP L-2) was better but not all that different.  I originally thought there was little difference between the SR-009 and HD800 on the Hex and Anedio D2, but with a better DAC the gulf has widened significantly, IMO.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #4,110 of 25,502
After 3-ish weeks of living solely with my new 009s, I went back to my much loved 007 Mk1s to confirm the winner
(...)
The 009's have simply stunning lower mid to bass performance. They're pretty stunning higher up too, but the clarity and focus in the lower mid to bass regions really highlights the 007s main weaknesses IMO, making the latter seem thick and muddy in comparison - in fact, quite hard to go back to. It's not a tonal thing, it's about clarity, focus, transparency, dynamics.

Others have said that the 009s have a bigger sound stage, which is true, but what I particularly noticed was how clearly all the secondary images were laid out within that larger sound stage, which gave them more equal billing with the main central vocal image. This leads me to the one consideration: It's quite easy to get  distracted by all that extra secondary detail - and thereby forget to listen to the actual musical performance. With the 007s (and just about every other 'phone I've heard) the secondary images recede relatively backstage to the central vocals, so are less likely to distract.

The solution is quite simple: stop marveling at the details and start following the musical performance - I've made this mental switch a number of times mid-track and the extra detail then merely serves to enhance the performance.

So, are the 009s perfect? Not quite. I'd still like them to have a slightly darker overall presentation, and I'm not the only one who's unimpressed by that over-sized plastic arc mechanism. And highly panned left or right images feel like they're being directly injected into my ear. But for the foreseeable future, they're perfect enough for me. My 007s have been long-term relegated to their storage case, as the best emergency back-up headphones ever.

YMMV. I listen at modest levels (mid-70s-80s db), my hearing tails off after 13KHz, and the rest of my system has been carefully chosen to control excessive brightness. As others have said, the 009s are transparent enough to show up deficiencies elsewhere in the chain.

This aligns with my impressions of the 009 vs the stock 007 Mk1. I really appreciate that you have spent long enough time with both for making a verdict, and I think this makes it quite valuable. Now the way you expressed the differences triggered a thought... You may remember that I am using 009 pads on the 007. The differences you describe here apply pretty well to the pad change from 007 pads to 009 pads. I am not saying that the 007 becomes like a 009 by using a 009 pad- the 009 has a larger and thinner membrane and different driver, and it's logically expected to have more resolution, better stage and better bass; what I am saying is if someone likes the 007 but wants it more open, with wider and more clear imaging, with a slightly different but still better bass, try the 009 pads. It's a move in the right direction. I know that it changes to volume the 007 membrane has to move, etc - but it just sounds better to me.

I didn't stop at that, and after some hesitation, I have changed the internal foam of the 009 pads to a similar shape carbon foam pad filling I "developed" for my Fostex TH900. This is a fully reversible mod on the otherwise horribly expensive 009 ear pads. The sound changed in the same direction it did with the TH900, a veil was lifted, and the sound became so open and detailed that it was almost too much midrange detail. I was fine with it, discovering new layers and lights of the music, and bass improved too, but I was missing the speaker-like physical low end punch of the TH900. I could trade-off some midrange for more and deeper bass impact. After many days, I managed to form a foam size/shape that does what I hoped for: the bass now had much more perceived low end energy compared to what it was, and the overall sound was still very transparent and open. What I want to mention here: in the process of cutting off half mm chunks of material from the carbon foam, I noticed a strangely big sound stage change around a certain threshold, and that I could describe it very much alike you did with the "secondary images": the sound stage just snapped open, as previously isolated lateral sound information blended into the whole, creating a huge, wide, deep and tall, contiguous, very enjoyable sound stage. The effect depends on recording, but with some recordings (e.g. Stockfisch label) the difference was kind of on/off.

I intended to make a post about this, with pictures, but let me still test it for a longer while.

The question begs to be asked, how far is now my modded 007 Mk1 from the 009, and it's no easy one - I hope to find out soonish, the nearest head-fi buddy is a flight away from me, but it's hard to find time. However, my 007 sounds so good now that I don't feel much inclination to just find out that I need to double my headphone investment :), when I am still in a new honeymoon with my 007. At least I would not like to trade this kind of bass I am hearing for what I remember from the 009, even though it was better than the stock 007... My TH900 and my speakers are not getting much listening time nowadays.

In turn, and that's likely even more interesting question: how would the 009 sound with my modded 009 pads? Both on the TH900 and 007, the carbon foam seems to change the sound in a similar direction, which most 009 owners may like: more extended, faster and even more transparent bass, bigger and much better defined sound stage, much improved microdynamics (small percussions attack/impact/decay, clarity of piano key hits, body of cello, etc), less muffled and more open sound (which may not be needed for the 009).

I have no idea when I will travel to England next time (I actively avoid traveling nowadays), but if any of you 009 owners come near Helsinki, remember you are welcome to an audition. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back