The Stax Thread III
Jan 5, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #4,111 of 25,567
  Megatron is certainly a step up from the KGSSHV, and I think it's better suited for the 009s

Also a space heater, but what isn't 

I've been way curious about the Megatron, but the T2 has engulfed my wallet.  
Do you like the MT more than KGST with the 009?

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #4,113 of 25,567
  I've been way curious about the Megatron, but the T2 has engulfed my wallet.  
Do you like the MT more than KGST with the 009?

I prefer the megatron with the 009 because it handles vocals and treble well, as far as I can tell. Might run a bit too hot to use outside of winter though.

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #4,114 of 25,567

I could not possibly agree more.  I recently picked up a vintage R2R DAC, the Proceed PDP-2 with replaced caps and other various upgrades, and while it was never considered TOTL when it was originally manufactured, it absolutely beats the pants off of all the delta-sigma DACs I've rolled through and it is clearly better than the Metrum Hex, which I recently sold.

My SR-009 through my KGSSHV was a completely different beast in terms of tonality and texture-wise on the PDP-2.  My HD800 (driven by the ECP L-2) was better but not all that different.  I originally thought there was little difference between the SR-009 and HD800 on the Hex and Anedio D2, but with a better DAC the gulf has widened significantly, IMO.

I agree here. R-2R none oversampling ladder type DACs can beat the pants of many of the later top of the line Delta-Sigma offerings. More folk should give it a try, it changed my system in a big way for the better. NOS DACs with tubes can sound remarkable IMO.

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #4,115 of 25,567

Yes...much as I love my KGSShv, visions of a Megatron or a T2 or even a BHSE torture me at night. Haven't actually heard a Megatron yet (it's about the only cool thing Purk doesn't own), but I imagine it would be somewhere between a BHSE and T2 on the awesomeness spectrum, at least.

IMO the KGSShv off-board Sanyo 450v is really close to the BHSE as regards SQ level attained. They are different animals, I thought the KGSShv better on rock and dance, the BHSE better on classical and acoustic material. But it was close. I could live with either and be happy. The big deal about a KGSShv for me is I can leave it on, and have less tube hassles. Also it can cost a lot less to build or commission than a BHSE, though not to take away from that amp, it is a classic and timeless piece. If I was drowning in cash I would have both, or I would find the money somehow if the BHSE was a big enough sound upgrade.

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #4,117 of 25,567
Yes it can.

This is a good question, as aside from the heat aspect on the case, the internal heat generated by an amplifier has an impact on component life. For example capacitors are rated at voltage and heat tolerance, the higher the heat in an amplifier, the shorter the life of the component. Both the KGSShv and KGSS designed by Kevin G as well thought out in this regards, as long as the specs and design of the case are followed.

The exact case temperature depends though on the value of the amps set on the PS for the particular amp. It is that that creates the heat. Also if it has on-board heat sinks or off-board. The on-board cannot put out as many amps because of this. My KGSShv off-board 10 amp 450v gets warm in winter, and warm-hot in summer but is not too hot to hold your hand on it (I live in South Spain). 

As long as your amp is built to specs and you have it on a rack (top shelf) and away from windows (sun or radiator) it is fine. It is far far away from the scare stories of the original T2. My Stax SRM-717 gets about as hot as my KGSShv even though the later is pumping out a lot more amps. I would estimate the KGSS (Head-amp version) runs about the same temp on the case as my SRM-717.

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #4,118 of 25,567
I committed to a KGST and I'm stoked.  Loved the design I saw not only of the boards (thanks to Kevin and Birgir) but of the execution of their designs...the quality components used, the inclusion of a heat sink and the case...just a few examples...I was sold.  In my unit the rails will be regulated to 350v, so with that and the sink it should be pretty darn manageable from a heat perspective. Should make my plastic Koss sing 
biggrin.gif
  I need to make up an adapter cable now so I can take full advantage of the amp once it arrives.

Can't wait to get my paws on it...

HS

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #4,119 of 25,567
  I committed to a KGST and I'm stoked.  Loved the design I saw not only of the boards (thanks to Kevin and Birgir) but of the execution of their designs...the quality components used, the inclusion of a heat sink and the case...just a few examples...I was sold.  In my unit the rails will be regulated to 350v, so with that and the sink it should be pretty darn manageable from a heat perspective. Should make my plastic Koss sing 
biggrin.gif
  I need to make up an adapter cable now so I can take full advantage of the amp once it arrives.

Can't wait to get my paws on it...

HS

Congrats on your purchase of a very capable and top tier electrostatic amp! I have one myself, bought from Birgir but with higher current output - it runs REAL warm but i'm not complaining :) I used to pair it with the ESP950 but you really will not do the amp justice until you have paired it with a Stax, honest to goodness :) 

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #4,120 of 25,567

Congrats on your purchase of a very capable and top tier electrostatic amp! I have one myself, bought from Birgir but with higher current output - it runs REAL warm but i'm not complaining :) I used to pair it with the ESP950 but you really will not do the amp justice until you have paired it with a Stax, honest to goodness :) 

Dammit...I set myself up for that one...LOL.  That may very well be where I end up eventually.  I listen predominatly to 16/44 through a couple of Senns (my preferred pair are the HD 650's...the 700's are OK but I prefer a warmer/smoother signature) and the Koss.  I don't like sibilance...sharp high end.  I very much enjoy the detail from the Koss and the clarity of the highs and mids.  The low end is OK, and I'm thinking the amp may make it a bit more full but I won't know till I know.

If I were to jump into a pair of Stax, they need to not make my ears bleed up top and be full through the mids and lows...I don't need crazy bass but too thin down low isn't my flavor either.

Feel free to recommend a pair if you have a thought given what I'm looking for if I've communicated my preference clearly.  Thanks.

HS

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #4,121 of 25,567

Dammit...I set myself up for that one...LOL.  That may very well be where I end up eventually.  I listen predominatly to 16/44 through a couple of Senns (my preferred pair are the HD 650's...the 700's are OK but I prefer a warmer/smoother signature) and the Koss.  I don't like sibilance...sharp high end.  I very much enjoy the detail from the Koss and the clarity of the highs and mids.  The low end is OK, and I'm thinking the amp may make it a bit more full but I won't know till I know.

If I were to jump into a pair of Stax, they need to not make my ears bleed up top and be full through the mids and lows...I don't need crazy bass but too thin down low isn't my flavor either.

Feel free to recommend a pair if you have a thought given what I'm looking for if I've communicated my preference clearly.  Thanks.

HS

With the hybrid configuration of the KGST, it will tend to sound warmer than perhaps the KGSSHV (this was mentioned by Birgir in his website). And i have paired mine with the SR-007 Mk II, which is also a warmish headphone. I would say you won't hear sibilant highs unless your recording it such. Other than that, the mids and low end is there in spades. It won't boost it but it will show it to all if the recording has it. Sorry my description may not be good enough but this is a transparent set-up but it doesn't sound sterile or flat. It has fulsome sound and i can attest to this even with low-res files. I listen to a lot of Mp3s and 320 kbps rips and they all sound fine to my ears. I was very pleasantly surprised that an electrostatic set-up does not sound thinnish or bass-less :)

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #4,122 of 25,567

With the hybrid configuration of the KGST, it will tend to sound warmer than perhaps the KGSSHV (this was mentioned by Birgir in his website). And i have paired mine with the SR-007 Mk II, which is also a warmish headphone. I would say you won't hear sibilant highs unless your recording it such. Other than that, the mids and low end is there in spades. It won't boost it but it will show it to all if the recording has it. Sorry my description may not be good enough but this is a transparent set-up but it doesn't sound sterile or flat. It has fulsome sound and i can attest to this even with low-res files. I listen to a lot of Mp3s and 320 kbps rips and they all sound fine to my ears. I was very pleasantly surprised that an electrostatic set-up does not sound thinnish or bass-less :)

Thanks for sharing.  I spent the last few days reading through KGST info which motivated me to pull the trigger.  Impressive stuff.

There's so many Stax cans options and thoughts on them that I have to admit I was getting lost.  I have not spent sufficient time getting educated on them and have no experience with them directly.  I'll have a harder look at the SR-007 Mk II's and see what I can see.

HS

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #4,123 of 25,567
You could start from the entry level Stax cans and progress from there. The SR-207 is highly regarded but not sure if you can find the cans only as it is usually sold with the matching amp. In any case, good luck and enjoy your audio journey!

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #4,124 of 25,567
  You could start from the entry level Stax cans and progress from there. The SR-207 is highly regarded but not sure if you can find the cans only as it is usually sold with the matching amp. In any case, good luck and enjoy your audio journey!

I would go directly to the 007s IMO. The 507s are ok (not too bass shy) but quite a bit behind the 007. The lower models more the other way. I used to have various Lambda models and they were all a bit thin, though open and transparent. If you want to avoid a cold treble, I would go 007s for sure. Great SQ for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back